PS3: Profile 2.0

Considering it was recently updated to 1.1, i'm sure it can be updated to 2.0 in the near future. That and a DTS-MA patch would be nice

I imagine it could be done tomorrow. All the hardware is there. The only trouble is that the PS3 is discouraging standalone sales as it is. So I think Sony will wait until the standalones can do it and then add it to the PS3.

Thanks guys. Ive been with the HDDVD camp but seeing as I have a PS3 and 2 films on Blu Ray I am starting to consider the possibility of Blu Ray becomming the standard. There really is no need for me to buy a stand alone then at this moment in time, I do like to have a dedicated media player but I'll wait for newr models and lower prices lol.

Also to get true HD do I need to output via the optical cable. I have already done so to my Logitech Z5500 speakers but it is displaying as Dolby Digital. Is this a HD Audio format?

Thanks!

I'm no expert but with the PS3 i'm sure you would need an Amp with HDMI pass through to get full HD sound on the PS3, please correct me if i'm wrong.

I expect the PS3 to be profile 2.0 (BD Live) compliant within the next few months, possibly even later this month.

Also to get true HD do I need to output via the optical cable. I have already done so to my Logitech Z5500 speakers but it is displaying as Dolby Digital. Is this a HD Audio format?

Thanks!

Optical doesn't have sufficent bandwidth. You need to get it from the HDMI cable with the PS3 which means a next gen amp like the Onkyo range.

I expect the PS3 to be profile 2.0 (BD Live) compliant within the next few months, possibly even later this month.

From the IluvBlu site:

CES 2008: Sony Showcases 2 BD-Live Players

Posted January 6, 2008 by Josh

CES At the Sony booth, they are showcasing two new prototype BD-Live players. The Sapphire 3 and 4 will both be Profile 2.0. Sony also has indicated that the PS3 will get a BD-Live upgrade sometime in the future.

Hopefully it will be very soon - I'm fairly sure of this, despite the vague comment "sometime in the future"

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/434/ps3bdlivepv3.jpg
ps3bdlivepv3.jpg

Thanks!

The HD codecs cannot be used with Toslink (optical). The PS3 also does not pass bitstream AFAIK so it will only pass HD audio that it can decode internally to lossless PCM. It will then pass the decoded HD audio as multi channel (> stereo) PCM and ouput via HDMI only. So you will need an amp/receiver that supports HDMI although it does not need to support the HD audio codecs to take benefit from HD audio.

AVI

If I connect my PS3 via optical can I still get surround sound though lol?

If I connect my PS3 via optical can I still get surround sound though lol?

:confused: yes, but then you'll loose 50% of the reason to buy BR over SD DVD's...

:confused: yes, but then you'll loose 50% of the reason to buy BR over SD DVD's...

Ok so give me a list of equipment for me to buy to get TrueHD. I have been told my Lgitech speaker will actually output TrueHD if I connect it via three anaolgue wires. Is there such a box to allow 6 into 3?

Ok so give me a list of equipment for me to buy to get TrueHD. I have been told my Logitech speaker will actually output TrueHD if I connect it via three anaolgue wires. Is there such a box to allow 6 into 3?

Brief re-cap
There are lossy compressed formats, lossless compressed formats, and uncompressed formats. The latter two end up being the same once they are unpacked.
Optical only has the bandwidth for lossy compressed formats.
BUT, taking DTS as an example, the DTS soundtrack from a DVD is around 640kbit/s
The DTS HD core you will get from your PS3 over optical is about 1.6Mbit/s
So even if you stick with optical, you are getting much better audio than from standard dvd. Roughly like going from low bitrate MP3 to high bitrate mp3

To get the full monty, you'll get everything except DTS HD MA if you connect via HDMI to any HDMI 1.1 or above amp which accepts LPCM audio over HDMI. You need to check that its 1.1 or above AND does multi-channel LPCM over HDMI. When the DTS HD MA firmware comes out (within two months they say) you'll have everything. People are flogging 1.1 amps to go 1.3, so you could pick up a secondhand bargain. Get a good HDMI cable from Mark Grant or similar.

So let me get this then

If i had my ps3 connected via optical and hdmi into a amp like the Onkyo 875

I dont get 5.1 sound or the next get HD sound?

As has been said optical will give you normal DD at a higher Bitrate than SD,

But as the PS3 has no analogue outputs the only way to get the HD sound codecs is using the PS3 to decode internally and connect to a HDMI audio equiped amp.

It seems although a DTS-HD MA 'patch' may come out for the PS3 to allow internal decoding of this the PS3 will never send any of the HD formats via bitstream.

Although the difference between the Audio being decoded in the player and the audio being decoded in the amp may be subtle, I and it seems others still want the choice. And If you have an Onkyo875 where would you rather the audio was decoded? :D the cheaper PS3 jack of all trades or your dedicated AV reciever?? :rolleyes: ;) And the difference is not necessarily just due to the quality of the internals but also possible quality difference introduced by sending packetised bitstream via HDMI rather than 'unpacked' PCM which may be more prone to problems.

So IMO, yes you can use optical with a PS3, but HDMI is better, but from my experience of directly comparing Bitstream output to internally decoded PCM on my 875, Bitstream output is the way to go. :D

Although at the moment it seems that the secondary audio stream from PIP and other special features will not also be transmitted this way, it your only interested in the movie not the special features then thats fine by me. The only reason I want a profile 2.0 BR player when they are avaliable is to ensure no compatability problems or slow down of new BR discs.

The thing that makes me smile about this is how people are being sucked in by marketing without the slightest idea what the benefit is or what it is supposed to sound like.

MOST sytems with optical inputs that handle DD5.1 and maybe DTS if your speakers are any good are about the best you are going to get with sub £1000 sound systems even at 2K you are pushing it.

You might be able to put a 8 litre engine in a Ford Fiesta but you cant use it cuz you loose control over the car when trying to extend the performance.

To really handle the uncompressed dynamic range that codecs like DTS MA are capable of you need some decent kit, otherwise they are really just numbers that the market people are using to continue to stimulate the market playing on peoples technical ignorance and getting away with it.

These are too many people hung up on the wrong things.

The thing that makes me smile about this is how people are being sucked in by marketing without the slightest idea what the benefit is or what it is supposed to sound like.

So have you compared the two ?

There may be some who won't get the full benefit of what they buy, but that has always been the case, Displays are a prime example, but don't we all just want the choice?

So let me get this then

If i had my ps3 connected via optical and hdmi into a amp like the Onkyo 875

I dont get 5.1 sound or the next get HD sound?

m8 i use optical for my ps3 and the sound from my lowend denon 1507 is awesome in DD 5.1 or DTS,

Dumb dumb newbie question here.
I am thinking of getting a PS3, purely as a BD player. Can these firmware updates be downloaded and applied via CD? I do not have the internet.

Dumb dumb newbie question here.
I am thinking of getting a PS3, purely as a BD player. Can these firmware updates be downloaded and applied via CD? I do not have the internet.

I've never done it by CD. I download on my PC to an SD card and then put that in the PS3.

BUT, taking DTS as an example, the DTS soundtrack from a DVD is around 640kbit/s
The DTS HD core you will get from your PS3 over optical is about 1.6Mbit/s
So even if you stick with optical, you are getting much better audio than from standard dvd. Roughly like going from low bitrate MP3 to high bitrate mp3

DTS on DVD can be 768Kbps or 1536Kbps, which is the same as the Core mix on BD (1.5Mbps).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom