PS3 possibly Jailbroken ? Discussion Thread

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please note:

OK, as this is only speculation and I am going to be on the forum today we can leave this open and see how discussion takes shape. Be mindful of how this forum operates, this is not here to be a confessional thread etc. Homebrewing for the PS3 could actually be a very interesting prospect.

Just heard on the news that the guy who cracked the Iphone is reported to have cracked the PS3.

He is supposed to release details later and Sony have been said to be looking into it.

I wonder If he has actually done it. And even if he has, it was a damn good try by Sony, no other disc based console has lasted this long against piracey before.

Last edited by a moderator:
If jailbreaking Apple’s iPhone wasn’t enough kudos for US hacker George Hotz (aka geohot), he now also has hacking the Sony PlayStation 3 to his name.

The hacked console means that players can now run pirated games, unrestricted versions of Linux or home made software.

The feat is noteworthy as the PS3 was previously the only games console to remain uncracked, despite it being on the market for more than three years.

The hardware and software designer turned hacker said that it only took him five weeks, and while he was still refining the technique, he intended to post full details online soon. He said the hack was 5 per cent hardware, and 95 per cent software.

The first three weeks were spent on attacks to directly access memory of the console. He eventually realised that software approaches alone were insufficient to crack the PS3.

“It’s supposed to be unhackable – but nothing is unhackable,” Hotz said.

“I can now do whatever I want with the system. It’s like I’ve got an awesome new power – I’m just not sure how to wield it.”

Sony said it is currently “investigating the report” and will “clarify the situation” when more information came to light.

“I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3,” Hotzsaid in a blog post.

Despite the feat, Hotz still gave kudos to Sony for creating such a robust games console.

“3 years, 2 months, 11 days…thats (sic) a pretty secure system.”

Would you be tempted to hack your PS3 for free games access? Leave us a comment and let us know.

Just heard on the news that the guy who cracked the Iphone is reported to have cracked the PS3.

He is supposed to release details later and Sony have been said to be looking into it.

I wonder If he has actually done it. And even if he has, it was a damn good try by Sony, no other disc based console has lasted this long against piracey before.

here's the full story i stuck it in the hardware section

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-hardware/1183150-ps3-hacked-iphone-jailbreaker.html#post11382524

Although i have no interest in pirated games it would be nice to have multi region blu-ray

Also no interest in pirated games, but, yeah, region free blu ray would be good, as would complete access to system resources under linux.

Fellas, as you all know AVForums has a hardline policy on anything relating to Piracy. While I appreciate that there is potentially other uses, this will be of most interest to those wanting to supply pirated games and those wanted to play them. With this in mind threads on this subject will be closed.

OK, as this is only speculation and I am going to be on the forum today we can leave this open and see how discussion takes shape. Be mindful of how this forum operates, this is not here to be a confessional thread etc. Homebrewing for the PS3 could actually be a very interesting prospect.

Fellas, as you all know AVForums has a hardline policy on anything relating to Piracy. While I appreciate that there is potentially other uses, this will be of most interest to those wanting to supply pirated games and those wanted to play them. With this in mind threads on this subject will be closed.

It was posted as a discussion topic it has nothing to do with supplying pirated games :confused:

Problem is this guy will just open it up and leave it ... and so the first thing to be exploited will be piracy (mainly because thats where the cash will be). If he really wanted to show everyone then he would exploit it and give it straight to Sony to fix ... I doubt that will happen though.

Having read a number of threads about this I am amazed that so many people mention PS2 games/PS1 games etc ... surely all of these are also piracy (unless they mean being able to PLAY a dvd of that game).

For me, I doubt that anything that this will exploit will be of any use.

It was posted as a discussion topic it has nothing to do with supplying pirated games :confused:
The original title of the thread implied it by talking about copy protection (which is actually something the actual articles do not mention being cracked yet!!!)

I have re-opened and edited the title. Lets see how it goes.

well as my post was deleted can you put the original txt that i posted then or is that allowed :confused:

Surely this is something that can either be fixed by a firmware update if not to stop it happeining at all at the very least would it not be quite easy for sony to implement something that can spot a jailbroken PS3 and ban it from the PSN similar to what MS do.

well as my post was deleted can you put the original txt that i posted then or is that allowed :confused:

I'm sticking my neck out here by allowing this so bear in mind its easier to keep and eye on just one thread rather then mulitple threads. In hindsight I should have merged yours into here so apologies for that. Let me see if I can fix that.

EDIT: Done !

Last edited:
hopefully so but he states it 5% hardware 95% software using linux... but the slims dont have linux support so it is on the older PS3

@ hillskill thanks mate i was not having a dig i just did'nt want you to bend the rules that was all but thanks for putting it in

Seems like a great idea, not sure I'd wanna risk jailbreaking my PS3 though?

I think this could be very interesting indeed!

If it is true I would love to see lots of third party apps for the PS3 to really open up its full potential!!

I heard that MS has some kind of blocking software for the 360 which they can disable the machine remotely if it's been 'jail-broken' or hacked in any way. (if it's on-line obviously)

Is this true?
If so I assume Sony could do something similar rendering your PS3 useless??

As has been said I'm actually quite surprised that it's taken this long to hack the PS3.

However personally I think it's a bad thing. Yes there are some good things that could be done, such as multi-region bluray, and as Hillskill says, intergrating PS3MS more would be good. However I think the main reason people will be interested will be from the standpoint of pirated games, and that can only be bad for the inductry as a whole.

I work of a big games publishing company, so pirating games is quite a sensitive subject as I know how much it can affect game development, not to mention the prices and development costs of games. I don't know about anyone else but I'd much rather have a nice proper copy of a game on my shelf than a dvd or bluray with marker pen scralled on it. I think even if the copy protection on PS3 games is hacked (and it doesn't say it has), I still think it'll be harder to do as the cost of bluray hardware (recorders, discs etc) is much more than the dvd equivilant, which is obviously what MS and the Wii use.

I certainly won't be messing around soldering bits onto my PS3 anytime soon!

As has been said I'm actually quite surprised that it's taken this long to hack the PS3.

However personally I think it's a bad thing. Yes there are some good things that could be done, such as multi-region bluray, and as Hillskill says, intergrating PS3MS more would be good. However I think the main reason people will be interested will be from the standpoint of pirated games, and that can only be bad for the inductry as a whole.

I work of a big games publishing company, so pirating games is quite a sensitive subject as I know how much it can affect game development, not to mention the prices and development costs of games. I don't know about anyone else but I'd much rather have a nice proper copy of a game on my shelf than a dvd or bluray with marker pen scralled on it. I think even if the copy protection on PS3 games is hacked (and it doesn't say it has), I still think it'll be harder to do as the cost of bluray hardware (recorders, discs etc) is much more than the dvd equivilant, which is obviously what MS and the Wii use.

I certainly won't be messing around soldering bits onto my PS3 anytime soon!

You've got a point, but it's costing you £40 a pop to have that 'nice proper copy on your shelf'

I cant say it will affect me too much, its rare that i buy a game and keep it, theres only about 6 since I have got my PS3 that I have no intention of selling on and they are so good Im happy to spend £40 on them to help ensure the developer gets the rewards it deserves. Therefore if you take off the resale value I usually only spend about £5 on a game (sometimes even making a tidy profit like MW2 thanks to the supermarket price war).

As I said before lets not make this a discussion about whether you would or wouldn't buy copied games. The thread cannot stay open if continue down this road.

Don't.

It'll get me excited. :rotfl:

imagine the XMB apps we could have ITV Player C4OD, CH5TV the apps would bring a new lease of life into it :smashin:

the pirated games could be stopped with piracy handshake app

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom