PS3: Play TV and HD Freeview

I did a software update (Play TV configuration/tools) on my Play TV unit about 2 weeks ago and in one of the dialogue messages I'm sure it said it now supports Freeview HD?

Improvement to upscaling was also mentioned and I'm sure is true as the PQ has improved!

Perhaps somebody in the Manchester area could test Freeview HD?

Software v1.21 does say it supports HD Pause, Rewind and store. Does it work, I don't know I don't switch until 2012?

DVD-T HD works, but after reading it seems DVT-T2 HD which is the UK format may not. I'm only using may because Sony have not officially said either way as yet and there is mixed information out there. It all depends on whether the de-muxing is done in hardware or software? If it's done in software then it may be possible? But you are probably correct that it currently doesn't support DVD-T2 HD.

I have moved to the South of Spain and the Freeview quality is miles better than it was in West Sussex. Some programs, mainly movies are transmitted in Dolby 5.1 and PlayTV detects it automatically. It also gives the option to downmix to stereo or mono.
Most foreign movies are transmitted with dual audio (original or dubbed). I can't wait for the Formula 1 to start as it will be one of the first live transmissions in HD and full Dolby!

marco 76, i live in Spain and i wish that you wrote will true, but not, sorry but the freeview (tdt in spain) is good in picture quality (in some channels) but now no channnel have emissions in 5.1. And only in few areas are dvb hd local channels (cataluña, aragon...). I wish that soon yours words will be true but today no.

Software v1.21 does say it supports HD Pause, Rewind and store. Does it work, I don't know I don't switch until 2012?

Isn't that Hard Drive pause, rewind and store rather than High Def?
The Playstation keeps a buffer for pausing and you have the option to have the buffer active all the time (for constant rewind ability) or just when you pause transmission. You are asked which option you want in tools.

HD Freeview will most likely require a new Play Unit capable of receiving HD transmissions when they are broadcast.

We had digital changeover at end of last year and latest play tv version gives the same SD freeview menu/choices as freeview tv's/boxes. Ie. No HD available. Picture quality is excellent though in comparison to analogue, as is the range of free channels. Combined with freesat (which does have limited free to air HD) its pretty impressive and the combination is making us consider dropping or trimming down our Sky package!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom