PS3 play SACD using optical out?

P

panlee

My PS3 is connected via optical out as I do not have a HDMI receiver. Can I hear the SACD 2 channels? How about SACD 5.1 channels? Thanks

OneEyedStuart

Distinguished Member
You're probably listening to the 2 channel CD layer of the SACD not the multi-channel layer. I don't know of any player which will send multi-channel SACD or DVD-A down a digital cable.

Denon and Pioneer use firewire to send SACD though.

I don't have a PS3 so all this might be wide of the mark, just saying what I know re SACD.

KH

chaddy

Banned
it doesn't look like you can, SACD are copy protected, and it uses the HDMI for copy protection.

P

panlee

Some say PS3 will convert the SACD DSD stream into PCM to go out. That's why I guess it could be done. Maybe I will just go out and buy one SACD disc to try out.

Anodyne

Tried a non hybrid SACD in mine and no joy using optical. So HDMI only for SACD playback.

rauer

Tried a non hybrid SACD in mine and no joy using optical. So HDMI only for SACD playback.

Has the situation changed with the newer firmware version? Is there still no way to output audio from SACD using Toslink?

EDIT: I don't expect DSD or full quality, but would be happy with 2-channel audio that exceeds 44.1kHz 16-bit PCM.

james.miller

can't be done. not atm away.

davidkingmartin

SACD 2 channel: it has never been possible to output SACD from any player via optical. Or MiniDisc optical for copying purposes (I have been trying since 1992!). Sony has copy-protected recordings of mine where there was no extant c/w! On the PS3 true SACD will output via the audio phono leads of the avmulti lead but do not connect the video phono.
On a related subject, what is the "best" connection, 2-ch., in terms of audio quality, can be recommended for CD playback...and which settings to use? ...the update has added some more possibilities. PCM? Type 1? 2? 48khz? etc.

The 7th Taylor

Standard Member
Has the situation changed with the newer firmware version? Is there still no way to output audio from SACD using Toslink?

EDIT: I don't expect DSD or full quality, but would be happy with 2-channel audio that exceeds 44.1kHz 16-bit PCM.

Don't expect this situation to change ever. Your best hope for getting something better than 44.1 kHz 16-bit PCM over Toslink is using the CD upsampling function Sony added with firmware v1.90. For that you don't need SACD however -- it would work plain CD and (only) the CD the layer of SACD. Toslink can carry up to 88.2 kHz if I'm not mistaken (not officially but de facto). I'm not 100% certain though whether PS3 supports frequencies above 48 kHz via Toslink but it's worth a try.

As for SACD on PS3, there's a useful FAQ about it on http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html

james.miller

toslink is good for 192khz. its all down to what the devices can accept:)

MWP1985

Sorry if this has been mentioned in another thread (I did a search but couldn't find anything) but I felt this discovery was worth sharing.

Whilst playing around with my PS3 earlier I decided to listen to the 'War of the Worlds' SACD. I was only expecting to be able to play the CD part of the disc as when I tried it earlier this year the PS3 would not allow multi-channel output from SACD through optical. However, I was surprised to find that the PS3 now encodes the multi-channel source from an SACD into full-bitrate DTS and will happily output the results through optical. The sound quality is excellent to my ears.

I'm assuming this is something that has been added with the 2.0 firmware but it could have happened earlier as I haven't tried to play an SACD through optical since I got my PS3 in June.

Still, it's a decent addition as now I can listen to my small SACD collection again without having to wait until I invest in an HDMI amplifier.

bsimmer3000

Good find. i use min through hdmi so dont have a problem but 90% of people aint got hdmi amp so this is great news.

R

resistance35

This of course does not apply to the 40gb uk version of the PS3 which does not support SACD.

gavan

Sorry if this has been mentioned in another thread (I did a search but couldn't find anything) but I felt this discovery was worth sharing.

Whilst playing around with my PS3 earlier I decided to listen to the 'War of the Worlds' SACD. I was only expecting to be able to play the CD part of the disc as when I tried it earlier this year the PS3 would not allow multi-channel output from SACD through optical. However, I was surprised to find that the PS3 now encodes the multi-channel source from an SACD into full-bitrate DTS and will happily output the results through optical. The sound quality is excellent to my ears.

I'm assuming this is something that has been added with the 2.0 firmware but it could have happened earlier as I haven't tried to play an SACD through optical since I got my PS3 in June.

Still, it's a decent addition as now I can listen to my small SACD collection again without having to wait until I invest in an HDMI amplifier.

Great find! I know that for years Sony refused point blank to supply SACD output through anything except analogue or HDMI with HDCP.

It means I can now at least access my SACD collection in surround sound before I get a new HDMI amp. Well done Sony - can't wait to get home and put on 'Dark Side of the Moon' to check it out :D

livingbasshead

I didn't notice this and this is great news for me as I have several SACDs which I used my old Pioneer DVD player for. This has saved me buying a new HDMI amp! :thumbsup:

james.miller

great find mark, well done:)

FunkyMonkey

This is certainly great, but it is a botch ( pretty nice one). Soemone mentioned "full range DTS" - this is onyl 48kHz, as opposed to what teh PS3 can output via HDMI for PS3, i.e. 196kHz. Even that is nto ideal for those of us with DSD-compatible receivers. If they put out the DSD bitstream as opposed to PCM, we'd be able to let our receivers do full processing of the SACD sound and hear superb SACD sound.

As to what audible difference there would be between DTS and DSD is debatable because it depends what recevier and speakers you are using. For me, it would certainly be noticeable, on a par on the difference between Dolby Digital and full PCM, if not greater (because DSD is specifically designed for music, and also because I have speakers capable fo producing full SACD sound up to 50kHz).

In summary, good upgrade, but could do better (for us SACD geeks).

james.miller

This is certainly great, but it is a botch ( pretty nice one). Soemone mentioned "full range DTS" - this is onyl 48kHz, as opposed to what teh PS3 can output via HDMI for PS3, i.e. 196kHz. Even that is nto ideal for those of us with DSD-compatible receivers. If they put out the DSD bitstream as opposed to PCM, we'd be able to let our receivers do full processing of the SACD sound and hear superb SACD sound.

the ps3 outputs 176khz max for sacds, actually:)
As to what audible difference there would be between DTS and DSD is debatable because it depends what recevier and speakers you are using. For me, it would certainly be noticeable, on a par on the difference between Dolby Digital and full PCM, if not greater
a fair difference on my onkyo 805. the dts is good, but doesnt seem to have the clarity or dynamic range of the hdmi LPCM output on the ps3.

In summary, good upgrade, but could do better (for us SACD geeks).

i dont think this well benefit sacd freeks at all, seeing as freeks will either have proper sacd players or the very least have an hdmi amp. it will allow people to listen to the finer examples of SACD without hte need for either of those now, though:)

pwood

Just tried Depeche Mode Playing the angel SACD layer and its defaulted to DTS. Having heard this in SACD with a Sony DVD player since returned for other issues the sound compares well but is obviously not as detailed as SACD . Nice feature added though.

PS3 is the best gadget I have bought in years and I never thought I would say that about a games console.

gavan

the ps3 outputs 176khz max for sacds, actually:)

a fair difference on my onkyo 805. the dts is good, but doesnt seem to have the clarity or dynamic range of the hdmi LPCM output on the ps3.

i dont think this well benefit sacd freeks at all, seeing as freeks will either have proper sacd players or the very least have an hdmi amp. it will allow people to listen to the finer examples of SACD without hte need for either of those now, though:)

Yep - it's a bit 'historic' actually as Sony fought tooth and nail to stop anything other than copy protected digital output in the past.

I'd like to think that this could give SACD a shot in the arm but since SACD playback has been dropped on future PS3 models I'd have to say that it's more like Sony loosened up on the 'no unprotected digital output' stance as they've more or less written the format off :(

jordandy512

Not read every post but my ps3 plays sacd through optical no probs!

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Not read every post but my ps3 plays sacd through optical no probs!

I believe before it was 2 channel stereo only. Now it apparently also does 5.1 DTS surround.

I believe before it was 2 channel stereo only. Now it apparently also does 5.1 DTS surround.

Yes, the 5.1 is a new feature through optical. Not true SACD however, it's like an emulation.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom