PS3 PAL DVD Upscaling Jaggies in 1.9

cybersoga

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I just went to watch the PAL version of Prison Break Series 2 part 2 on my PAL PS3 with firmware v1.9, and I noticed what looks like scaling errors/jagged edges that I never noticed before. I then popped in PAL version of Digital Video Essentials and there's definitely something not right with the PAL DVD upscaling with v1.9 firmware. I didn't notice this in v1.8. I am outputting 1080p to my LCD which is running at 1080p native resolution. Upscale is set to Normal on the PS3. Interestingly, the jaggies disappear if I set it to Double Scale, but it gives the picture too much over-scan for my liking. It also doesn't affect 4:3 content, only 16:9 anamorphic.

Check out the attached photograph.

Attachments

• ps3palscaling.jpg
    ps3palscaling.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 558
I just went to watch the PAL version of Prison Break Series 2 part 2 on my PAL PS3 with firmware v1.9, and I noticed what looks like scaling errors/jagged edges that I never noticed before. I then popped in PAL version of Digital Video Essentials and there's definitely something not right with the PAL DVD upscaling with v1.9 firmware. I didn't notice this in v1.8. I am outputting 1080p to my LCD which is running at 1080p native resolution. Upscale is set to Normal on the PS3. Interestingly, the jaggies disappear if I set it to Double Scale, but it gives the picture too much over-scan for my liking. It also doesn't affect 4:3 content, only 16:9 anamorphic.

Check out the attached photograph.

Yes there is a bug, this has already been covered.

Thing is it only affects PAL, so I doubt they will be busting a gut to fix it. :(

I noticed on one of the THX set ups on one of my DVDs that vertical lines were also jagged as if the picture rotation was slightly out. Could this be the same bug or probably my TV?

1.92 ? Are you sure

Has this been fixed yet?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom