PS3 or Xbox 360 for Hitachi PJTX300?

W0LFIE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Xbox 360 with an HD Drive or PS3 which do I buy to go with my PJTX300?

I know this is sad but looking forward to testing the settings from the PJTX300 Owners Club thread's.
Many thanks for that!

PS3 is abit more expensive, but people say blu-ray will win, and its supposed to look better aswell, and you get an ace games console, and no Extra drive hanging around.

I've never heard that Blu Ray looked better - in fact a fair few reviews of the same title on both formats say there's no difference, and if any HDDVD can be better. BUT....that's a whole different debate and there's a separate forum for that.

I think either machine will look great, each has pro's and cons and it really comes down to two things:
- what are your requirements?
- what can you afford?

The answer to those may help your decision.

I may be able to get discount on a PS3 so it might actually prove cheaper for me.
I feel dumb for asking but whats the differrence between 1080i and 1080p?:lease:
In a Google Forum someone said that the PS3 doesn't support 720p and will thus default down to 400 (or there abouts) unless I set my PJTX300 to 1080(i)??!! How is this done? :lease:

I'm confused, I don't want to get the PS3 only to find I won't get any benefits from BluRay.

Has anyone tried out each console on the PJTX300?:lease:

PS I also heard the Xbox HD drive is a lot noisier than the PS3.:thumbsdow

It would be a lie to suggest that the 360 and HD-DVD drive are quiet in operation, but the noise which is there in my set-up is drowned-out by the joyous noise eminating from 360 game soundtracks and my HD-DVD copy of "Serenity".

My set-up is basically right next to me on my temporary hi-fi rack, and the 360's fans are bearable. Never quiet, but bearable.

The big picture experience in your living room is highly recommended and this PJ is certainly the best money that I've spent in the last year.

And if anyone in the Sheffield area wants to bring their PS3 around so that we can do a direct PS3-360 comparison, feel free to drop me a line...:D

Although I have neither a PS3 or 360 going into the PJ my HDDVDs via the toshiba HDA1 are just lovely!!

Likewise, anyone near Nottingham who has either PS3 or 360 is welcome to see what they look like on a 6ft screen in Hi def goodness!!

For me it depends on what exactly your gaming intentions are. If you want to sit and game at home alone or sharing a console with a mate or two then there is nothing wrong with either console. If however online multiplayer is your bag, Which mine certainly is, then you have to get the 360. From the many forum threads I have read and discussions with online gamer mates the PS3 is just useless at online gaming and the first gen of PS3 games seem little different than the 360 s first batch of titles. One thing you should know though is you get limited upscaling facility with the 360 so your old dvds only get upped to 560p unless you use an RGB with your Hd dvd drive. Anyway for me Halo 3 is reason enough to get a 360 !!!

Another happy PJTX300 owner here, usign a Xbox and HD-DVD addon it looks great. SD material is also pretty good. :smashin:

I'm sure Blu-Ray would also look good via the PJ too :D

BTW, BISHI I use VGA from my Xbox to the PJ and it will therefore upscale SD DVD's although only to 1080i as the PJ doesn't accept 1080p via VGA. However I use a stand alone Denon to upscale SD DVD's and feed that to the PJ via HDMI.

Strangely enough the 360 has a hardware scaler yet the PS3 does not.:eek: Which is why it has problems with 720p and some users have been watching BR's in SD :D

5tarr I'd suggest (as above) if you want info on BR v's HD-DVD you check out those forums, or the PS3 and 360 forums for details on how they perform.

But whatever you choose, the PJTX300 will look far better with HD than SD !! :clap:

Thanks to all, I think I'm going to go for the Xbox+HD. Everyone who has this set up only has praise for it.

A friend bought a PS3 last month just for the hell of it (after split with his girlfriend therefore has disposable income and time!) He's said I can borrow it when he's on holiday in August. I'll do a comparison of both consoles on my PJTX300 and offer feedback on forum for yuz all.

Any ideas on the best place to get a reduced Xbox combo with Hd thrown in?

Donnacha - I'm in Notts too by the way but the wife will only tolerate one geek in the house! If your female there's no chance - she'd skin, gut and throw me to the crows!

Thanks all:thumbsup:

Soz to be a pain. Whats the best way to connect the XBox to the PJTX300?

My PJ is ceiling mounted 5/6m away from my Amp/DVD etc connected via a very expensive 7m component cable. Ideally like to keep all the equipment at one end of the room and PJ at tuther.

Will it be XBox into amp with HDMI cable and then a 5m HDMI to the back of my PJ or can I utilise my component?
(I'm sure Richer Sounds mentioned Optical cables back in November??!!)

Donnacha - I'm in Notts too by the way but the wife will only tolerate one geek in the house! If your female there's no chance - she'd skin, gut and throw me to the crows!

Thanks all:thumbsup:

Well I'm not female!! (thats the problem with my Irish name, people think its female....on the contrary its a full red-blooded, guiness and Jameson swilling male Irish name!!)

If you want to see the PJ and HD DVD in action (as well as an old Xbox) before purchase then you're more than welcome...my missus won't mind, she's surrounded by geeks at work!!

Urban T - cash not spent...yet
Grateful for any feedback:thumbsup:

If you have a component thru on your av amp,(if infact you have one at all), you can put that in between your PJ and 360 and negate the need for an uberlong cable. If you are going for the 360 I do recommend you buy the Monstercable xbox360 hidef component cable for about ÂŁ50. It is tons better than the microsoft cable and will do proper eyecandy justice to your hitachi.

If you have a component thru on your av amp,(if infact you have one at all), you can put that in between your PJ and 360 and negate the need for an uberlong cable. If you are going for the 360 I do recommend you buy the Monstercable xbox360 hidef component cable for about ÂŁ50. It is tons better than the microsoft cable and will do proper eyecandy justice to your hitachi.

Set up:
Cambridge Audio DVD >> 4x1m Cambridge Audio Coaxals (3 for video & 1 for sound) >> Cambridge Azur AV Amp >> 1x7m IXOS Quad Shielded Component Video Cable >> PJTX300

Are you saying Xbox to Amp with the recommended Monster component? and this should then be okay with the IXOS already in place between Amp>>PJ?
I'd have to leave 1 coax in place for sound though wouldn't I?

Set up:
Cambridge Audio DVD >> 4x1m Cambridge Audio Coaxals (3 for video & 1 for sound) >> Cambridge Azur AV Amp >> 1x7m IXOS Quad Shielded Component Video Cable >> PJTX300

You do like Richer Sounds don't you :D

Component to Amp then from amp to PJ will be fine, I believe the Azur 540R and 640R both have component pass so that should be fine. Personally I've found the MS cables to be fine, and I have heard other say the Monster cables although good are overpriced so I would look into the monster cable a bit more before buying... :rolleyes:

For sound you'll need an optical cable from the Xbox (actually the component plug at the xbox end) into the amp. This will be fine and give you 5.1DD and DTS although no HD sound with Xbox unfortunately... :(

If you have the Azur 640R and are thinking of a PS3 with HDMI connection to that amp for HD sound, check the Azur 640R does indeed allow that, it might just be a HDMI video pass thru.

Component might be better than VGA for HD Addon, as you can send 1080i which you can't with VGA... which has reminded me I still haven't checked to see if it is better, as the PJ is 720 native, it's debatable which is best to send it 720 or 1080 ???

I guess it depends on whether you buy a core,full or elite 360 system. The latter 2 come with the standard microsoft hidef cable bundled. The core system does not and lacks a hard drive.Standard hi def cable costs ÂŁ25 and the monster costs double. I have had both and the difference on a hidef TV was immediately apparent - clearer, deeper colours.

Urban T - cash not spent...yet
Grateful for any feedback:thumbsup:

As background, I own the PS3, Xbox 360 and a standalone Toshiba HD-DVD player (see my website link, double click on equipment).

I really love all the machines but for different reasons.

If you want a machine just to watch HD movies, I would buy the PS3, period. This is because:
  • its better made
  • its much quieter
  • its black
  • everything is built in
  • it uses a standard HDMI cable

If you wanted the best games machine, I would opt for 360, as I think it will be a long time before the PS3 offers a decent regular supply of titles. Xbox Live is also far better than Sony's offerings currently.

Hope it helped :)

I think I'll opt for the Xbox still for the gaming benefits.
Re the movies - the standalone HD will be just the same as the PS3 as my PJ is only 720p. Its going to be a great improvement on my SD DVD whatever. Thanks for help:thumbsup:

If an Xbox will connect to my Amp with a component and an optical - how does the HD Drive connect to the Xbox?
Can someone in the know complete my config below - seeing it in diagram form helps my brain!
Xbox HD>>CableA??>>Xbox>>CableB??>>Azur 540R Amp>>7m IXOS Quad Sheilded Component Video Cable>>PJTX300
I'd like to use my 4xCoax currently coming from the SD DVD if possible but don't want to compromise on Xbox pic/sound quality.:lease:

The noise I can live with as long as its not louder than the action!
There's always Xmas for a PS3, when there's more games.

Final question (other than my diagram request) and I promise I'll attempt to put this thread to bed - should I wait for the next gen Xbox which will be HDMI??!!;)

I'm not sure a UK date has even been set for the Elite (HDMI equiped) in the UK yet?

Does your amp have HDMI?

Your PJ does, but what about your TV?

The addon connects to the Xbox using a supplied USB cable, (cable A)which is all you'll need unless you need a longer cable because your addon is too far away form your Xbox ? ? ?

Leave your SD DVD player as is.

Cable B is in fact 2 cables, a Xbox component lead (MS or Monster avoid cheap Ebay specials) and an Optical lead.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom