atmos74

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am considering buying a playstation console for my and my kids to play on an HD projector.

Not sure whether to go for PS4 or get a second hand PS3 as this is much cheaper and the games are also selling for £2-4 each. Anyone got both and can advise?

I have both a PS3 and PS4.

The graphical difference between the PS4 and PS3 is very noticeable. I have gotten extremely used to gaming in native 1080p on my PS4, and when I go to play a PS3 game that is only 720p and upscaled to 1080p, I can definitely notice the difference. But it's not just the resolution that's better, it's also the graphics itself and the frame rates. 60 FPS is always better than 30 FPS.

One of my biggest reasons for liking the PS4 over the PS3 is that the PS4 controller is literally light years better than the PS3 controller.

The internet connectivity on the PS4 is also better, and if you go with a Slim PS4 model you will be able to connect to 5 GHz networks as well, resulting in even better WiFi connectivity.

Even if you go with a smaller hard drive PS4, you will have the option to connect external hard drive so you can store more games.

Hope that helps :smashin:

The PS3 is dead as a platform, no new games are made for it and it is not part of the current Playstation ecosystem so your kids will be frozen out of anything current.

Were in the last stretch of the PS4's lifetime though it will last a good more few years beyond current date in support even when PS5 comes around and the PS4/PS5 will very likely share the same ecosystem.

So go with PS4, there are second hand ones for around the £170 mark on Amazon/eBay. Purchasing games digitally on the PS4 is more expensive than purchasing physical games though special offers/sales do come along that sometimes match prices.

i have both and yes ps3 is a dead platform but most of the good games came out on ps3 uncharted trilogy, last of us, mass effect trilogy, dead space trilogy, bioshock trilogy, fallout 3, fallout new vegas etc etc console will cost about £40 games are about £2 each second hand. online is free no need for ps+

i was about to make a post saying get a ps4 as the 2nd hand games are also cheap on that too.... but you are spot on about online play..... the free online for ps3 could be a massive deal for some people.

i would still go ps4 myself.... but it is a very good point. i gave up gaming on ps3 tho. i could not handle the framerate on games like uncharted 2 for instance... it spoiled it for me... so i bought them again for ps4. that said... no 3D either on ps4 and that is a loss compared to the games which supported it on ps3.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom