• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ps3 or panasonic bd60 for lx5090 kuro

toxic mango

Established Member
hi there, recently picked up a kuro and want to get a blu ray player. I would like to use the blu ray to view blu ray/avchd (from panasonic tm300)/dvd/divx. I also have a xbox 360 and an arcam dv88 (old but still gold).

I can get the bd60 for around £160 and the ps3 for around £220. NOt fussed about gaming but obviously if got ps3 then would probably play some games.

Your thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated

toxic mango

Established Member
N E 1 :clap:

RowdenCO

Established Member
Go for the PS3. Yea it's supposed to be a games machine, but it excels in many other ways. The Blu-ray player is just as good as most stand alone players & where it really excels is the streaming ability. I have mine connected gigabit (for HD content) lan to my PC and the PC is able to serve media to the PS3 as if the data was held there on the PS3. I mostly use it to stream blu-ray rips with full 5.1 surround. The PS3 has a optical out which is compatible with most HTK & Recievers.

Other excelent features are the now build in BBC iplayer & a little app called VidZone, which allows you to stream high quality music videos and its got a gigantic library to choose from and best of all this is entirely free.

Updates.... they'll be coming for many many years so who knows what feature they'll come up with next. The BD official remote control is a worth while accessory as it can be a bit clunky trying to use a gaming controller.

toxic mango

Established Member
Go for the PS3. Yea it's supposed to be a games machine, but it excels in many other ways. The Blu-ray player is just as good as most stand alone players & where it really excels is the streaming ability. I have mine connected gigabit (for HD content) lan to my PC and the PC is able to serve media to the PS3 as if the data was held there on the PS3. I mostly use it to stream blu-ray rips with full 5.1 surround. The PS3 has a optical out which is compatible with most HTK & Recievers.

Other excelent features are the now build in BBC iplayer & a little app called VidZone, which allows you to stream high quality music videos and its got a gigantic library to choose from and best of all this is entirely free.

Updates.... they'll be coming for many many years so who knows what feature they'll come up with next. The BD official remote control is a worth while accessory as it can be a bit clunky trying to use a gaming controller.

Thanks for your comments

RowdenCO

Established Member
Thats alright, your welcome. Forgot to mention PS3 also plays AVCHD :)

tom 2000

Distinguished Member

Where do I find out about VidZone?

RowdenCO

Established Member
As long as your in the UK and SWMBO isn't using the TV, turn on the PS3, log into the PS3 store and somewhere under applications its a download. Fairly small one, 90Mb if I remember correctly. I would be more detailed, but SWMBO is currently watching the One show, so cant be more precise. It's in the PS3 store, but it is free.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
As long as your in the UK and SWMBO isn't using the TV, turn on the PS3, log into the PS3 store and somewhere under applications its a download. Fairly small one, 90Mb if I remember correctly. I would be more detailed, but SWMBO is currently watching the One show, so cant be more precise. It's in the PS3 store, but it is free.
Signed up and downloading

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom