PS3 or BDP-S350

trice1921

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a Blu-ray player soon and i think i've finally narrowed it down to either a PS3 or a BDP-S350.

I'll be using it with my audio receiver that doesn't support audio over hdmi so i'll be using optical for now. In the next few months i want to upgrade to enjoy HD audio.

The thing that's putting me off the PS3 is that i've heard it can be noisy.

Can anyone give me advise to which is the best player?
Thanks

The 60 gb PS3 is a little noisy. However, my 40 gb one is quiet as a mouse. Seriously, quietest player i've ever had.

The PS3 can bitstream over optical to give you your 5.1 and when you change your amp it can send HD audio via LPCM. :smashin:

I want to buy a Blu-ray player soon and i think i've finally narrowed it down to either a PS3 or a BDP-S350.

I'll be using it with my audio receiver that doesn't support audio over hdmi so i'll be using optical for now. In the next few months i want to upgrade to enjoy HD audio.

The thing that's putting me off the PS3 is that i've heard it can be noisy.

Can anyone give me advise to which is the best player?
Thanks

Hi trice1921. :)
I use the PS3 as a BD player only and to be honest :smashin: it's been excellent.
Noisy? mine's never been a problem for me during quiet scenes,speech etc.
So,i would recommend the PS3......but i would also recommended the S350 as well. ;):D
All the best.

kingfats, what does the 350 offer over the PS3? Does it bitsream HD audio?

I was in exactly the same position as you a few weeks ago and ended up getting the PS3. All i can is i love it! I had also heard that it was a bit noisy, but its actually quieter than my EP-35!

Cheers,

Steve

What are the advantages of bitstreaming HD audio? Is their anything else the 350 can do that the PS3 can't?

It means your amp will decode the HD audio instead of the BD player.

What are the advantages of bitstreaming HD audio? Is their anything else the 350 can do that the PS3 can't?

As Ralphy1981 said :smashin: plus you get TrueHD/DTS-MA light up on the amp. ;)
HD bitstream and looks are the main differences to be honest. :)

I've just noticed that the S550 has analog outs, my receiver has 5.1ch analog in. So could i get HD audio this way? If i could it would save me buying a new receiver. What would the sound quality be like? Would it be better for me to get a new receiver and use the PS3 and HD audio over HDMI?

Thanks.

As Ralphy1981 said :smashin: plus you get TrueHD/DTS-MA light up on the amp. ;)

So when you let your Amp do the decoding, the fancy lights come up but when the player does the job, they don't?

Just wanted to double check on this as if so, bitstreaming by the player is essential as the True HD light will be a neccesity when I eventually have all the gear:D;):smashin:

WHF has recorded a better pix with 350 vs PS3, so if you only want it to play movies, why bother with gaming capability and slightly inferior pix? Ob the other hand, if you want a multi-fauction palyer ie gaimg too, then, again PS3 is the obvious choice. There is some talk of wii-like motion sensing remote even for ps3 and xbox...so????
Finally, 350 IS cheaper than PS3. Best deal is/was makro if you have a card (yup, I do!!) and pay £187 for it, but hurry......short term offer.

Another couple of things to maybe consider:

1. The S350 can be made multi-region for DVD (using a remote hack)

2. The S350 has an infra-red remote whilst the PS3 uses bluetooth. Might be relevant if you like to use a single remote for all your kit.

Cheers,
K-Spin

One additional point, the PS3 can be made into a PVR with the addition of the PlayTV module. It's not as functionally rich as some of the other PVRs, but which other PVRs have 1080p output via HDMI and only cost £60.

Looks like im going for the S350, reserved one at makro for £188 and i'll have it in a few hours. Ordered a few films from amazon. Can anyone recommend any good movies with good quality picture?

Another couple of things to maybe consider:

1. The S350 can be made multi-region for DVD (using a remote hack)

2. The S350 has an infra-red remote whilst the PS3 uses bluetooth. Might be relevant if you like to use a single remote for all your kit.

Cheers,
K-Spin

Plus, the S-350 is £100 cheaper.

Not to mention all of the latest major reviewers (HCC etc) are reporting the S350 producing a sharper more superior pic than the PS3. But take their opinions as you will...

I have just bought and compared the S350 with my existing PS3 (40GB).

There is no doubting the picture improvements on my bluray discs and they are not subtle.

The images are more detailed and cleaner; exactly what I thought bluray was capable of.

My Onkyo 606 also sounds much better with the HD audio bitstreams. 'Cars' is amazing (I have 6.1).

The PS3 will be retired from bluray and wheeled out for games.

I currently have a PS3 and all I use it for are blu-rays. However reading this thread has made me get a bit iffy about a couple of things.

1. The sound output from the PS3 for DTS-MA discs.

2. Having to have another DVD player in my system to play R1 discs.

Should I sell the PS3 and get the BDP-S350? I very rarely play games.

Thanks Kingfats - I recently got my amp so am still getting used to how to get it setup fully. I also think I was getting a little bit of the 'AVforums goblin' swaying my opinion.

At 187 its seems a shame not to buy it however...

Does the S350 'boot up' and play discs any quicker than the Ps3? Also, does it have the facility to connect to the internet wirelessly as the Ps3 does?

Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom