PS3 online connection problems!!

ticklypants

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all..I dont know if this is the right place to post this but feel free to move if it isn't .I downloaded the Wipeout HD last friday (my first attempt at online gaming) and ever since, the online connection has been really hit and miss. I have broadband with AOL and their standard netgear router which is downstairs and my PS3 is upstairs. Any ideas why i cannot get online about 50% of the time i try :confused: Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If it's a wireless connection there may just be too many walls/floors etc between your router and PS3. Have you checked your signal strength on your PS3?

Yes i have checked the signal and it varies between 40% and 80%...is this too weak?

The PS3 wireless signal can be particularly flaky - i used to get about the same levels of fluctuation and i found it almost impossible to update GT5P last time i had to use wireless. I found it was worth the money to switch to homeplugs, basically a wired connetion through your plug sockets. There's a thread about them - here.

The PS3 wireless signal can be particularly flaky - i used to get about the same levels of fluctuation and i found it almost impossible to update GT5P last time i had to use wireless. I found it was worth the money to switch to homeplugs, basically a wired connetion through your plug sockets. There's a thread about them - here.

Thanks for the info mabo but home plugs are a new thing to me. I currently run the internet wirelessly on my pc (also upstairs) and that runs no problem. Would i need 2 of these plugs..1 for the pc and one for the PS3?

Thanks for the info mabo but home plugs are a new thing to me. I currently run the internet wirelessly on my pc (also upstairs) and that runs no problem. Would i need 2 of these plugs..1 for the pc and one for the PS3?

You can still run your PC wirelessly - plugging in homeplugs shouldn't affect any existing wireless connections. You'd just need one for a plug socket by the router and another by the PS3. You just plug an ethernet cable from the router to the homeplug and another from the other homeplug to the PS3. The ones i bought just plugged straight in and away you go. :thumbsup:

If you think you may later want to connect other devices by Homeplug then i'd recommend buying one with multiple ethernet cable inputs. I've got a single by the router and a triple by my consoles so i have one free cable for when i build a HTPC.

I can't remember where i bought mine but i use one of these and one of these.

Honestly i'd never heard of them before i stumbled upon the thread i mentioned earlier but these days i swear by them. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Also, i think the wipeout servers have been a bit dodgy, lots of people have had trouble connecting to them so it could be that too perhaps...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom