Ps3 Ok?

K

kroll

Hi,

I accidentally knocked over my PS3 this morning just after I had turned it off (was still hot), it didn't fall very far, just went from horizontal to vertical (it actually ended up falling on to my dvd player so it wasn't a big fall), but I was just wondering if the shock would cause any problems to the laser/lens/components or if anything could have come loose as it was still cooling down?

Thanks in advance.

That's the main reason I don't keep any of my consoles vertical. It's just too risky.

thats what stands are for :thumbsup:

it shouldnt have sustained any damage tbh try it and see

thats what stands are for :thumbsup:

it shouldnt have sustained any damage tbh try it and see

Even with stands they can still topple over. I'm not prepared to take that risk. Besides I think consoles look better horizontal anyway and don't understand why people keep them vertical.

Even with stands they can still topple over. I'm not prepared to take that risk. Besides I think consoles look better horizontal anyway and don't understand why people keep them vertical.

Because it saves space. I've placed all three consoles vertical as i simply can't fit them in horizontally. It can also help with airflow around the machines if they aren't enclosed.

because the ps3 is one ugly console sitting horizontal lol

:)

Attachments

• ps3_vert.jpg
    ps3_vert.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 138

the ps3 looks much better vertical,,it saves space and it also cools the ps3 better if it's vertical so it's a no brainer

I disagree. All the consoles including the PS3 look much better horizontal. They look awful when kept vertical. I also don't need to worry about saving space as I have an AV rack for all my consoles. There is more then enough room. Infact I stil have one shelf free at the moment. It's beyond me why the console manufacturers even give that option. Regards air flow in my mind it's just a psychological thing. I've tried both vertical and horizontal and there is no difference in air flow or how hot the PS3 gets.

other people have found there to be a difference:)

other people have found there to be a difference:)

Thatt may well be but at the end of the day there is still a risk of consoles toppling over. I've seen it happen with my own eyes with a PS2 and a 360 ( they weren't mine by the way ). My PS3 is just fine air flow and heat wise when horizontal and I see no reason taking that risk.

Besides you wouldn't put your amp or DVD player vertical so why do it with consoles. The only reason people do it is because console manufacturers give them that option. Everyone is entitled to keep their consoles how ever they want but for my horizontal is the best way to keep them and there is no risk of damage that way.

Well i keep mine vertically for good airflow around them and in an AV stand so there's no chance of them being knocked over unless an elephant hit the stand (it's damn sturdy).

Either way, it's all down to a matter of opinion as everyone will have a different idea as to how much air flow is needed, which way up makes them more aesthetically pleasing or how safe a piece of AV kit needs to be.

Those fancy light up stands are nice but when you next remove your PS3 check out how it scratches the top where it sits in.
I try to keep my PS3 clean and just taking it in and out of the stand has marked the top quite a bit.

Hi,

I accidentally knocked over my PS3 this morning just after I had turned it off (was still hot), it didn't fall very far, just went from horizontal to vertical (it actually ended up falling on to my dvd player so it wasn't a big fall), but I was just wondering if the shock would cause any problems to the laser/lens/components or if anything could have come loose as it was still cooling down?

Thanks in advance.

the op states the machine fell FROM HORIZONTAL to VERTICAL ????

the op states the machine fell FROM HORIZONTAL to VERTICAL ????

Yep, my bad, I meant Vertical to Horizontal.

It seems to be running fine, had it on for a while playing graw 2, only thing I did get (which I have not really noticed before) was a flicker when in the menu bar after quiting and ejecting the game, a bit like the one described in another post on this page.

any fool can see that because of the positions of the cooling slots(heat escape vents)the PS3 would stay cooler upright, it's not a matter of opinion, it's physics:D

any fool can see that because of the positions of the cooling slots(heat escape vents)the PS3 would stay cooler upright, it's not a matter of opinion, it's physics:D

yes and it's actually true,
i originally had mine on a AV rack in the horizontal position which was fine for gaming even tho the fan ramped up to 3, however watching dvd/Blu Ray it did distract a little as i could hear the fan, however i wouldn't call people fools because they have their's horizontal that just wouldn't be cricket

It's now vertical at the side of my rack and it runs much cooler and quieter :smashin:

Well I guess my PS3 defies physics then as it's no cooler standing vertical then sitting horizontal. Like I said there is no difference between them and it's all psychological. I know other people who have experimented and found no difference between the two. Anyway I'm quite happy with mine sitting horizontal. I think the threads going slightly offtopic so I will leave it at that.

no disrespect meant guys, I said "fool" to you all as I would to my buddies:)

My runs quite hot horizontal but my mates is vertical and it is much cooler and the fan never comes on.

nice stand James.

Dave.

My runs quite hot horizontal but my mates is vertical and it is much cooler and the fan never comes on.

nice stand James.

Dave.

thanks:) i had to hack it to pieces to get it to fit though. i have an external sata connector on the drive plate (the side of the ps3 that sits in the stand) so obviously it wouldnt sit in the stand with a drive connected. out came the dremel and a few minutes later its all nice and snug. :thumbsup:

the ps3 looks much better vertical,,it saves space and it also cools the ps3 better if it's vertical so it's a no brainer
I stand both my PS3 and my 360 vertically for the same reasons.

Here's a quote from Diarmid Andrews (director of GT Electronics; a company that repairs many 360's for MS) commenting on the 360's infamous overheating problems: "Just stand it on it's end and keep it cool is the only advice I could give." - EDGE #178

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom