• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 off controller charging option

KingKrell

Established Member
My young kids play on the PS3 and I'd rather they didn't yank wires, so I'd like to charge the 2 controllers overnight with the PS3 turned off.

I'm looking at something like this:
Competition Pro Quad Control Charger (PS3): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

How will I know when the PS3 controllers are fully charged without a status LED? Will the PS3 controller lights tell me?

The same question asked another way!: If anybody here has a PS3 charger dock, what happens to the 4 red controller LEDs when in charge mode?

Thanks for any help.

breadmaker6

Prominent Member
If you only need two points then I can recommend this -

208-5668980cA72UC579608M.jpg

Buy PS3 Controller Dual Charging Station. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

malk

Prominent Member
My young kids play on the PS3 and I'd rather they didn't yank wires, so I'd like to charge the 2 controllers overnight with the PS3 turned off.

I'm looking at something like this:
Competition Pro Quad Control Charger (PS3): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

How will I know when the PS3 controllers are fully charged without a status LED? Will the PS3 controller lights tell me?

The same question asked another way!: If anybody here has a PS3 charger dock, what happens to the 4 red controller LEDs when in charge mode?

Thanks for any help.
What about plugging them in your pc/laptop via usb?cheaper?

KingKrell

Established Member
'The controller lights flash when charging, and go out when fully charged.' Great, so I don't necessarily need a dock to maintain the controller on charge.

All good options, thanks. I may well go with the quad charger as my controllers have gel/skin covers and may not fit (the kids drop them etc and it helps). I also like the way the USB out is detachable from the cable, so I can use it for other things.

Last edited:

Barry_

Distinguished Member
you could always setup the PS3 to auto shut off after an hour of inactivity - that way once your finished for the night you plug the controllers in with the usb cables and go to bed. the controllers charge then the PS3 turns itself off after an hour - the controllers should be charged by then :smashin:

Spoonablehippo

Prominent Member
Funnily enough, i use my Wii to charge my PS3 controllers and iphone! It's USB's remain powered when off! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom