PS3 now or in January - your advice greatly appreciated...

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Jason0710, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason0710

Jason0710

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

Before I start, this is my first Post and I have to say that I stumbled across this site by accident and it is now firmly down as one of my 'favourites' due to the wide ranging a very useful advice on offer. My question is - do I buy a playstation 3 now or wait for a 'new improved model'?

I've been umming and arring about buying one for months now. XBOX 360 just isn't for me for various reasons but mainly because I don't get time to game on-line but prefer to just play Pro Evo with my lad and mates and also love a good FPS and 50% of the reason for getting one is the blue-ray player as I love my movies. The concerns over the much reported red lights of death (or was it 3 lights of death) on the XBOX 360, as well as the noise it apparently makes also put me off.

Now the questions are..

Will Sony release a new improved 80gb model with 'rumble' controllers (now the legal dispute has been settled), and an 'nm chip' at a lower starting price than the current model in the near future? If yes then i'd be tempted to hold on although i'd be salivating at the prospect at playing PES 2008 while I patiently wait.

or

Will the current model remain the same in Europe for the forseeable future in which case i'll pop out and buy one this week?

I'd love to get one asap but considering i've waited this long, a few more months would just about be bearable.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. pixels

pixels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    A greater choice if games are just starting to come out over the next few months, If you can't wait try to get a friend who works at Currys/PC World to get you one with their 10% discount. Alternatively, i'm sure a price drop around xmas will happen.

3. Brattbakkk

Brattbakkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Don't delay, get it now......Awsome:smashin:

4. Usama

Usama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Yep about 20-30 awesome games are comming out in the next few months! :smashin:

You could wait untill a price drop! ;)

5. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Maybe we'll know more about a possible price drop, rumble, etc by late October, when PES2008 releases. I'd wait till then.

6. AJUK

AJUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I'd definatly wait untill just before or after xmas, all the stores will be fighting against each other for sales and also think sony will bring out a price drop. If you can wait then i think you should, more you save the more you can spend on games. :smashin:

7. Hornet2112

Hornet2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
  8. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Well I would recommend waiting for a couple of months at least.

Doubt there will be hardware revisions (well possibly the HD size) before that time but at least you may benefit from the Christmas sales attempts to shift the PS3. Expected big hitters such as Lair have fallen short of the mark (according to the vast majority of reviews) and the jury has still to comment on the titles that will hopefully appear before Christmas (although that is by no means certain as games such as Singstar just keep missing those release dates). With all that going on it is all the more likely that the incentive to buy a PS3 is going to have to come from the hardware being more appealing itself... i.e. a more wallet friendly price.

If you were willing to wait until next year anyway then certainly no reason why not to wait until end of November and see the prices then, your life will not exactly be massively enriched by rushing out and buying one now so you only have the possibility of gaining by waiting.

9. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Any talk of a PS3 with a bigger hard drive for Europe, rumble in the controllers or smaller and cooler chip are just rumour and speculation. No one knows outside of Sony what plans they have for the future and Sony aren't going to say anything untill they are good and ready which will be just before any hardware revision is released.

There will be a hardware revision and a price drop it's just anyones guess as to when. Unless you're desperate to buy one now for some reason I would wait until next year as there is always the possibility of a price drop plus there will be more games to choose from then. Furthermore unless the 80GB model is introduced to replace the 60GB one at the same price or less there is no point in getting one as it's fairly easy to upgrade the hard drive and is even condoned by Sony.

10. kalakola

kalakola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    January.

11. max999

max999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :Dget it now and enjoy.... any spec changes will be tweaks they wil be stock piling for xmas and new year so if you want a new model you'll be waiting 6 months+

so all you are waiting for is price...

at £425 from GAme with 2 controllers and 3 games your getting the blu-ray for free...

go buy
    have fun

12. andytabor

andytabor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    the ps3 is slowly but surely getting better, for example warhawk is one of the most fun games i've played in years. if it was me i'd get one now.

13. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WAIT......That's what i'm doing

14. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    I completely agree, warhawk is proving to be one of those games that seem incredibly simple on the surface but manages to get that blend of weapon balance etc and reward for improved skills and tactics just right, reminds me of when I first played quake 2 online only with planes added.

I guess it all depends on whether you are interested in any of the games currently out or due this side of christmas.

15. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    You may as well wait for now....then wait for the next Pro Evo to be released and make a decision then.

:)

16. Jason0710

Jason0710

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for taking time to reply - much appreciated.

I've decided to wait at least until the release of PES 2008 which I think's due out in late October in Europe. Perhaps by then there'll be some solid evidence of a planned price reduction in time for Xmas - anyway, I guess we'll see.

Cheers,

Jason

17. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    As OP's question has been answered I'm going to close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.