PS3 noise

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by english_bob, Dec 23, 2006.

1. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    After playing with the PS3 for a few days now, its clear that the boast of near silent running is just that, a boast. Unless my machines buggered, but I doubt it (unless corrected).

Yes, its very silent when it first turns on, but after about 15 minutes of power up time the fan starts to kick in, and it gets as noisy as any other console you care to mention. This, I believe, is normal operating noise level. You don't have to be playing games or doing anything to get the fan to kick in after about 10-15 minutes.

The disc-drive though is very quiet :smashin:

What are your experiences?

2. _Belial

_Belial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Silent here, no problems at all after playing 30 mins of resistance tonight, ps3 in the same very well ventilated shelf as my wii and 360 and both the 360 + wii are hugely noisier than the ps3 ever is.

3. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Mine must be buggered then. Your not the first person to tell me its silent.

Oh well, it seems to be working okay. My brothers getting one for Christmas, so I will check his machine out as well!

4. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Dejavous Bob :smashin:

5. Paddy328

Paddy328
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive noticed that it get louder after a while too. Not 15mins though. Nowhere near as loud as the 360 though.

6. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Indeed. We get around! :hiya:

7. daddyorchips

daddyorchips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hey mate,

I don't believe the silent comments for a minute. I've had two PS3s (one Jap, one US) and BOTH can get fairly noisy. It tends to happen after running an intensive game for more than twenty mins. Noise-wise, I'd say it was significantly quieter than the 360 (let's be fair, what isn't?), but a bit louder than the Wii.

Just using the PS3 browser means the fans stay on low, then it really is whisper quiet. Those stating it is quiet should fire up Motorstorm for a few races, then mute their sound and stick their heads next to the PS3.

8. quarryfied

quarryfied
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    So you have to "mute the sound and put your ear up close to it" to hear the fan? wow, that's noisy LOL!!!

9. daddyorchips

daddyorchips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Heh, well, you'd have to do that for the full "hair-raising" effect.

You can certainly still hear it from within a few feet. But with a loud 5.1 setup blaring out and at several feet away on a couch, it doesn't really stick out (unlike the wind turbines of the 360).

This is why I think ppl believe it to be silent. But believe me, it's far from it.

10. mcdermotx

mcdermotx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Agreed,
    mine, and 3 other PS3s I've heard all exhibit similar amounts of noise..
    System is very quiet when just turned on and with non-demanding use, but when playing a game or BD, the fan does ramp up a bit. Nowhere near approching a 360 even idling, but is is there.
    Most people will never notice it, either because of its location, level of volume they are using or some people have different impressions of noise........but totally silent, I'm afraid not....not bad though

11. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Thank you for your input guys. It was'nt intended as a fanboy rant or anything, but I thought I might of had a faulty unit or something (with everyone, including EDGE magazine, stating how quiet it is).

True, its not as bad as a 360 ramped-to-the-max, but it's still got a two-tier fan noise! Acceptable as a games machine, but as a Blu-Ray player, I'm not sure. I will have to wait to watch a full movie on it first. Having two young children makes scheduling a movie (with 5.1 full blown surround) a once-in-a-blue-moon event! :D

12. bbdivo

bbdivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mine's totally silent (almost!), only noise I hear from it is the noise of the heads reading the disks. My idling 360 is a lot louder, I can even hear the SkyHD box over it. I have watched a number of BluRay movies now and there is no extra fan noise that kicks in.

13. mcdermotx

mcdermotx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm not saying that extra fan noise kicks in as soon as you load up a game or BD, just over a length of time when doing either it eventually creeps in.
    Some over on AVS have come to the conclusion that there are 3 different fan speed settings, and some are saying it comes down to where your system was made....either China or Japan, with Chinese being noiser. Can's say I agree with that, as of the four I've heard, two were Japanese and the other two were Chinese.
    I'm in the same boat as you bbdivo, as in the SkyHD box is louder, but there are times when watching a BD for a couple of hours that the background noise I've assumed was from the Sky box wasn't (both are on the same rack, different shelves), it was coming from the PS3.

14. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Ok, I am going to put this in context.
    On switch on the ps3 is silent. After about 30mins of a blu-ray movie or game the fan kicks in. It is there. you can hear it. It is not too loud. It is about the same volume as the Sky HD fan, which is about twice the volume of a sky+ fan and slightly quieter than the fans found in panasonic plasmas.
    By contrast the xbox 360 is about 4 times as loud as the ps3.

15. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    When it is powered on, for about the first 10-15 minutes of operation, its very, very quiet. I belive a fan is running of some sorts but at a very low spin.

After that time has passed, the 2nd speed of the fan kicks in, again its very slight, but noticeable.

Then after about maybe 30 minutes or so, again mostly when playing games or Blu-ray movies, the fan goes into a 3rd speed. This is very noticeable. Hardly what I would call a silent operation, unless I work for Sony. Its about the same kind of noise level as a 360 (without running a disc) / PS2 / Gamecube etc, but it makes very little noise via the disc drive.

I agree with mcdermotx, I think its got a 3 speed fan. Its perfectly acceptable for a games machine, but as a pure Blu-ray player, I think the sound could be offputting in quiet scenes in movies.

16. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Has anyone measured the noise in db (@ 1m)?

I'm interested to know how the noise compares to my Sony HS60 PJ and HD-A1 HD-DVD player.

I don't have a 360 so I'm not sure how noisy these are. I'm only really interested in the PS3 as a "cheap" (compared to a dedicated stand-alone) BR player.

Thanks,

Rob.

17. J_C_X

J_C_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't think its that loud and I have been playing a lot.

18. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    It is claimed to be 22 dBa at 1m - I think its quieter than that. Playing movies it is effectively silent, only the green light [and the film] let you know its on. The 360 doesn't compare. I use my 360 to drown out the sound of my Projector :) In all seriousness, the 360 cannot be considered for a proper HC setup as it is way too noisy. I have two, the first a launch model is very noisy. Last month I purchased a second, anticipating they had improved them, but unbelievably its noiser. The 360 sounds like it is, a powerful PC in a too smaller box

19. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    Nearly silent & no louder than a Sky+ box. Unlike the 360, you will never notice it unless your listening for it.

20. ince

ince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    yep the ps3 noise is fine in my opinion. it is quite enough to play at low volumes on the tv if you want to.

the 360 is another story. minew is at repair at the moment hopefully i will get a quieter model back.

21. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    No chance! :rolleyes: :D

22. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's pretty near silent for me. Unlike my 360 (concorde ready for takeoff) and wii. Although the Wii is a lot quieter than the 360.

Definatly low sound in both gaming and Blu Ray.

23. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    from http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hd-dvd-bluray/1927/shootout-3-blu-ray-disc-players-page4.html

PERFORMANCE The PS3 certainly performs like a serious A/V component. Compared to other high-def disc players I've tested, it was wonderfully fast and responsive, taking less than 10 seconds to put an image onscreen once I selected a Blu-ray Disc lodged in its slot. Pressing the controller's Select button during playback gives you a detailed display of geek stats such as video codec and data rate, audio format, and channel count. And the machine offers very smooth fast-motion playback for scanning through discs, including a 1.5x scan mode with audio. The only thing that rubbed me wrong was the PS3's fan noise, which made it much louder than any other gear in my system, including a DVR and Sony front projector. It was even noisier than my Toshiba HD DVD player, and that thing is LOUD!

24. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Ive used my ps3 for 5 hours today playing resistance, motorstorm, F1 demo etc and not once did i hear any fan noise..

ive read that if you have the ps3 in an enclosed space for example an AV cabinet the fan does come on though

25. Inexorable10

Inexorable10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't have a PS3 yet but as long as it is quieter than the 'fat' PS2, I'll be happy. I don't have an Xbox or a 360 to compare with but the 'fat' PS2 is damn loud!