PS3 Noise

• My PS3 is very quiet

Votes: 201 58.9%
  • My PS3 is noisy but acceptable / unobtrusive

Votes: 90 26.4%
  • My PS3 is very noisy

Votes: 50 14.7%

• Total voters
My 40GB PS3 makes the same noise my old VCR used to make. A barely noticable rrrrrrrrrr sound. The 60GB PS3 i had was much louder. So far I´m very pleased.

Regards
Beltane

I picked up a 40GB model from hmv and it's DEFINATELY quieter than the 60GB Model i sold couple of months ago.

I've only turned it on to update the firmware as it's staying in the box until i get my new 1080p TV but i thought it was broken at 1st as it was SILENT. Could not hear ANYTHING:smashin:

Hope it stays like that for movies :thumbsup:

I'll be checking out movie playback at the weekend. Got to let the wife watch the blurays I bought her for Christmas as compensation for me buying the PS3 in the first place!! I seriously hope it doesn't have the problems my 60 had as I really don't want to buy a stand alone bluray player. I love all the extra things the PS3 can do, I just hope the new one does them quietly.

My 40GB PS3 makes the same noise my old VCR used to make. A barely noticable rrrrrrrrrr sound. The 60GB PS3 i had was much louder. So far I´m very pleased.

Regards
Beltane

That describes it very well here too, the same noise an old VCR makes, but apparently that's NOT how it's supposed to be!

I have the 40gb version running next to my pc, and i cant even hear it compared to my pc. I used to have a 360 and this is eerily quiet...cant even tell when its on.

Gonna try to swap my 40gb next week for a new 40gb. Curious if it'll make a difference.

I picked up a 40GB model from hmv and it's DEFINATELY quieter than the 60GB Model i sold couple of months ago.

I've only turned it on to update the firmware as it's staying in the box until i get my new 1080p TV but i thought it was broken at 1st as it was SILENT. Could not hear ANYTHING:smashin:

Hope it stays like that for movies :thumbsup:

Why did you sell the 60GB?

And i never got a match of Resistance with you... LOL

Why did you sell the 60GB?

And i never got a match of Resistance with you... LOL

Lets just say it was the fact i watched most of my HD movies on HD-DVD so i sold the old PS3 but you can thank Warner now as i have bough another and ditched HD-DVD altogether :devil:

Well, I watched a DVD and played a couple of games last night on my new 40 and what a difference to the old 60. Much happier now and glad I took the plunge and bought another one.

Launch 60gb - very quiet :).

I had a launch 60gb ps3 HK version and it was alot louder then the new 40gb version. Although I noticed that when it does ramp up its loud! I have my "stuff" in a closed glass cabinet and have two 60mm fans pumping in air and one 120mm fan pulling it out but if i close the glass doors the ps3 fans go from silent to loud within about 20 mins of the doors being closed, my old 60gb version use to go to stage two after about 2-3 mins then stay there and not go up from that. My 360 on the other hand stays at a constant mid loud noise but when the glass doors are closed you can barely hear it (but doesnt ramp up to anything louder then what it already is). I know i am rambling on here but just shedding some info on ya, and thinking about replacing the ps3 40 gigger and seeing how that performs.

Well, having spent part of the weekend gaming and watching DVD's I have to say I'm very happy with the my new 40gig. No trace of the noise problem I had with my 60gig. Result :D

I have just got a 40GB ps3 and it only stays quiet for acouple of minutes and then ramps straight up to the fastest fan speed. Then after about 5 minutes in goes silent again. I assume it is faulty and there should be a middle fan speed? I used to have 60 GB and never heard the fans go as fast as this. It is in a well ventilated area.

i made the fatal error of watching an hd dvd on my 36o last night - NOW that's noisy

the ps3 emits a noise like a fan cooling things down - no surprise at it gets hot ! it's not that bad and the soundtrack easily masks it out

unfortunately the 360 just sounds like a cheap tinny pile of junk thats about to blow up - the whine it makes is horrific , even with the volume turned up you can hear that weird grinding high pitched buzz - and this is on the supposed improved elite !!

i think peeps need to get things into perspective

the ps3 is still a vastly superior piece of movie watching equipment

Just bought a second 40gb PS3 and it also makes the distinct "rrrrr" sound, very low volume, but I can clearly hear it. Guess it's normal on the 40gb then?

Yep, I think it´s pretty normal. A lot of users in the german Hifi-Forum reffered to this sound, too.

Hi all, I've been thinking about getting a PS3 and was looking at all the 60GB ones going on eBay for about £300 with a few games and accessories etc...

I see quite a few people here have sold their 60GB and bought a new 40GB. What's reason for this as I thought the 60GB was the one everyone wanted as it's backward compatible etc... I have quite a few PS2 games in the cupboard I wouldn't mind playing! Is it just because it's much louder than the new ones?

Many thanks. :)

Last edited:
Mine is a 1 year old 40GB and is very quiet for me. My PC, PVR and 360 are all louder in operation generally. The Wii is silent, then again its never on which might explain that one :D

My launch 60GB (now 120GB 7200RPM) PS3 is quite loud once the fan really kicks into gear. It doesn't disturb me though, as I use headphones and the noise level isn't really that loud. My Xbox 360 Elite is a whole lot louder, but that changed with NXE and the ability to install games. It is now quiter than my PS3.

My launch 60GB (now 120GB 7200RPM) PS3 is quite loud once the fan really kicks into gear. It doesn't disturb me though, as I use headphones and the noise level isn't really that loud. My Xbox 360 Elite is a whole lot louder, but that changed with NXE and the ability to install games. It is now quiter than my PS3.

Its funny but I got that used to the 360 drive spinning up that I do miss the noise when I install games to HDD now. You knew the console was busy when you heard the revving up :D.

I've got a launch 60gb machine and it's silent, can't hear it at all. Even put a new 320gb hard drive in and that made no difference at all.

Laptop is far louder.

Very Quiet both of my PS3's a 40GB from Japan and the new 80GB from japan.:smashin:

My 60gb emmits roughly the same noise as my Sky HD so I voted the middle option. It's not silent. It's hard to believe a PS3 or any other device with mechanical components and a cooling fan will be totally silent.

The upscaling DVD player I have is quieter (and upscales better IMO) so I prefer to use that for watching DVDs - it wouldn't suprise me if a standalone BluRay operates quieter too. However, it's not that much of an issue to justify buying a standalone player for me as even at a low volume level the operating noise is drowned out.

You have to remember that the environment around the unit has a bearing on the operating noise levels. Mine sits horizontal on it's own shelf in an open stand in my reasonably large living room. I would imagine in a small bedroom without much in the way of airflow the PS3 fan is going to crank up to a noticeable level more readily.

AFAIK the newer SKUs with the 65nm chipset should run cooler. In theory these will take longer before the fan speed increments to the next level.

Last edited:
My launch PS3 is pretty loud and definitely not quiet but I'm used to it and wouldn't go through the hassle of changing it. After having had many different PS3s (all with their various problems), it's just a case of finding a machine you can personally cope with.

I recently saw my brother's 40GB PS3 for the first time and was shocked - it was 'totally' silent (not even exaggerating) - even more shocking was that he was keeping it horizontally in a tiny space with the outlet vent 'completely' blocked up against a wall - :eek: :rotfl:. I almost had a heart attack when I saw how he keeps it (he does tend to abuse his many gadgets). I couldn't believe that his machine was completely silent with the main air outlet being 'totally' blocked :confused: We used it for ages and his machine was running much cooler than mine runs normally and was working perfectly. He says he has been using it like that since he bought it and has had no problems whatsoever - it never crashes, overheats or makes any noise...

I take perfect care of my PS3 and he abuses his... his is totally silent and never crashes, mine is loud and crashes all the time... lol :suicide:

All PS3s are not the same, that's for sure...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom