PS3 new monitor/TV recommendation?

Fred Bloggs

Novice Member
Currently using a 20" Sony LCD with my PS3, it is one of the earliest Sony LCD TV's that had a HDMI input, so I'm wondering if a new one might give me any benefits. Looking for something between about 26" and 32" and it will be used both for the PS3 and as a monitor for my laptop. Another Sony makes sense I think, but which one? Thanks.

PS- Do not want 3D.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Generally a monitor will be cheaper than the equivalent television, provided of course you care about panel technology ;) By that I mean it would usually cost less to buy a full HD monitor with a decent type of panel versus a television with the same spec. If not then well that opens up all sorts of options, with supermarkets having good deals on

See also these two relevant threads:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...about-fantastic-radically-new-technology.html
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...-matrices-differences-what-models-placed.html
Currently using a 20" Sony LCD with my PS3, it is one of the earliest Sony LCD TV's that had a HDMI input, so I'm wondering if a new one might give me any benefits.
Bigger is definitely better. Would also guess this is not full 1080p resolution? So already there is scope for improvement in gaming and film viewing
and as a monitor for my laptop
Bear in mind most televisions only have HDMI and VGA, i.e. they lack a DVI input. If that is important then look for a monitor, though of course you can buy DVI -> HDMI adaptors so no biggie in that respect
Another Sony makes sense I think, but which one? Thanks.
Nothing wrong with brand loyalty but not to the exclusion of buying the best you can buy within your budget

It's kind of hard to recommend at this point. You don't say what you need or what your budget is. Does your room have a aerial lead going in or even if so, do you want a television? If "no", then you might as well just buy a monitor and either save money or use the saving to buy a nicer monitor

Fred Bloggs

Novice Member
Thanks for the thoughts. I've had a browse around and yes, I think I agree with you, a 32" 1080p monitor is just the ticket. The older Sony is 720p max.

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom