PS3, netgear wireless

danny_may86

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have got virgin broadband, and me cousin gave me his netgear wireless router from sky. I know that im meant to have a cable router instead. But I disabled DHCP in the router settings and when I plug the ethernet cable from my virgin into netgear router,then ethernet from nethgear to computer,I can use to the internet. Thats not my question tho,sorry. but might be a reason why im having the problem. What it is, is that Im tryin to set my ps3 downstairs to use the internet from this wireless router. Ive been on it all day and have got no where. wen yous say type ipconfig in command and get the infomation from it,is that the ip and dns from my cable broadband or from the router? I dunno which of the two I have to put in the ps3 settings. I eventually went through the settings on the ps3 and got to the end where its chekcing the IP,i got it to succeed once,but then it failes in the connection process, stating DNS error. My head wants to blow up. Can any of yous help me?

Am not entirely sure but ain't the DHCP setting what gives your PS3 an IP address so without that you PS3 would not have an internet access because it doesn't have an IP address.

EDIT: am pretty sure of it now so if you want your PS3 to connect to the netgear router you are going to have to turn on use router as DHCP server feature.

ye i was thinking that. but wen i turn that on my pc wont connect to the internet so does that mean the ps3 wont either. n i dunno which of the ip's to put in.the cable modem or the router ones. thanks for ur reply

You will need to manually configure the IP settings of the PS3 with a static IP on the same subnet as your router if you don't have DHCP enabled. As previous reply said DHCP leases IP addresses out to network devices; with it turned off you won't get an IP address hence no connectivity without static setup on the PS3

i know i might be a pain, n i understand if u cant be bothered. but could u talk me through everythin that i need to do if possible.

The sky router is running custom firmware for sky, it has the username and password embedded in the firmware.
You won't be able to use it with any other ISP until you have flashed the router with the normal Netgear firmware :thumbsdow

Hope this helps

ive binned the sky router and was readin through the internet for a while and think im goin to buy this one. its a Linksys WRT54GSUK Wireless 125Mbps Router. will that work and be easy to set up with my cable broadband and ps3?

ive binned the sky router and was readin through the internet for a while and think im goin to buy this one. its a Linksys WRT54GSUK Wireless 125Mbps Router. will that work and be easy to set up with my cable broadband and ps3?
I don't know about that but am using the Netgear DG834GT 108Mbps router and since you're already used to Netgear's setting page and know how to configure most of the settings (am guessing), then i can tell you this works a treat haven't had a problem for the last 2 years i've been using it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom