PS3 MP3 Streaming

quiggles

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have done a bit of research on whether the PS3 does media streaming and the consensus seems to be no - is this correct?

I want to keep my MP3s and video files on a NAS drive on my home network, so should I really be looking at the XBOX 360 for streaming these?

I have done a bit of research on whether the PS3 does media streaming and the consensus seems to be no - is this correct?

I want to keep my MP3s and video files on a NAS drive on my home network, so should I really be looking at the XBOX 360 for streaming these?

good question but im stil not happy with xbox 360 streaming and video support. It does not support xvid or x264 which is what everyone uses althoug it plays .ts stream which is a plus point :)

I guess I am more interested in the MP3 rather than video - do you find the 360 ok for this?

I guess I am more interested in the MP3 rather than video - do you find the 360 ok for this?

yes aslong as windows had the codecs installed :)

360 is just perfect for streaming photos and mp3 no problem. even video is easy just using a program on the pc called transcode, but i know youre not fussed about that. i was really hoping that the PS3 would be able to play everything of the pc as the idea of getting everything across to the ps3 hardrive seems stupid. much better to stream.

IIRC, neither console can stream music, photos or videos from a NAS. The 360 can stream from a Windows XP PC, and normally the PS3 cannot stream from anything.
However, with linux installed, the PS3 is able to stream from a NAS or windows / linux / OSX computer.

I think streaming will be facilitated in one of the later firmware updates due out. No reason why it can't do it.

IIRC, neither console can stream music, photos or videos from a NAS. The 360 can stream from a Windows XP PC, and normally the PS3 cannot stream from anything.
However, with linux installed, the PS3 is able to stream from a NAS or windows / linux / OSX computer.

It can if you use PS3 Media Centre X

http://www.redkawa.com/

Its only a beta, but seems to work ok, especially for music and photos.

Can easily get around this by mapping the NAS drive to a drive letter on the PC though...

In my house the PC is on all the time anyway so thats not an issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom