PS3 Media Server Vs TVersity - Which is better?

yeswotever

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so they have both been out for quite a while now, lots of people have used both what arer everyones opinions, which do they prefer & what are the pro's & cons of each?

I use both. PS3mediaserver for video, and TVesity for music. I find PS3MS more flexible for video, will play more formats, has better artwork, doesn't need refreshing of the library. It is also very reliable.

I used to find TVersity a little more unreliable, annoying about refreshing library, but is better for multiple ways of accessing music: ie artist/album, album/artist, album, artist, date added etc.

To be honest I do like both of them.

I like PS3 Media Server and I like TVersity - Which is better?

FIGHT!!!!

I use both. PS3mediaserver for video, and TVesity for music. I find PS3MS more flexible for video, will play more formats, has better artwork, doesn't need refreshing of the library. It is also very reliable.

I used to find TVersity a little more unreliable, annoying about refreshing library, but is better for multiple ways of accessing music: ie artist/album, album/artist, album, artist, date added etc.

Hi Alan8477

I have to date always used TVersity, mainly as this was the first media server I installed and have stuck with it. I have always wanted to give PS3MediaServer a try, but thought that doing so might mess up TVersity.

Do you run both media servers simultaneously ?

If so, did you experience any conflicts or issues that had to be overcome ?

Any issues with video or audio Codecs ?

If not, I know what I will be doing tomorrow !!!!

Cheers

Yes.
No.
I use mainly VOB, can be temperamental with AVI (as you would expect), mainly my iPod/iTunes directory for music

Last edited:

Why do you use TVersity for Music? I can;'t think of anything it offers over PS3MS music wise?

My Music library is a mix of MP3 and FLAC with quite a lot of streamed playlists. PS3MS plays them all with no problems.

I ran about 4 media servers for a while but have found Ps3MS does everything i need now so only run the one.

Occasionally i have issues with the odd AVI but these are usually ones encoded with an old version of Xvid. running them via one of the transcoding engines in PS3MS sorts these though. this is one of the best features of PS3MS rather than TVersity's on/off switch approach to Transcoding PS3MS gives you the flexibility to choose whether to transcode or not.

Add to this Custom Box art for movies, IMDB info, Realtime library browsing and streamed SRT subtitle support i think it's moved way ahead of TVersity now.

Hi Alan8477

Do you run both media servers simultaneously ?

If so, did you experience any conflicts or issues that had to be overcome ?

Any issues with video or audio Codecs ?

Cheers

No issues with Codecs at all, rather than install Codec packs like you do with Tversity the download for PS3MS has all the decoding engines it needs built in. when you install it these will be extracted and placed in the PS3MS install folder on your PC so won't effect any other codecs you have installed.

The MEncoder Transcoding engine used by PS3MS is way more efficient than those used by TVersity as well.

Last edited:
Hi all

Thanks to both alan8477 & Uridium, I always thought installing PS3MediaServer would mess up TVersity.

Apologies to yeswotever for kind of hijacking your original post, but hopefully knowing that you can install both will allow you to try them for yourself to see which you prefer.

Regards,

Why do you use TVersity for Music? I can;'t think of anything it offers over PS3MS music wise?

My Music library is a mix of MP3 and FLAC with quite a lot of streamed playlists. PS3MS plays them all with no problems.

I ran about 4 media servers for a while but have found Ps3MS does everything i need now so only run the one.

Occasionally i have issues with the odd AVI but these are usually ones encoded with an old version of Xvid. running them via one of the transcoding engines in PS3MS sorts these though. this is one of the best features of PS3MS rather than TVersity's on/off switch approach to Transcoding PS3MS gives you the flexibility to choose whether to transcode or not.

Add to this Custom Box art for movies, IMDB info, Realtime library browsing and streamed SRT subtitle support i think it's moved way ahead of TVersity now.

No issues with Codecs at all, rather than install Codec packs like you do with Tversity the download for PS3MS has all the decoding engines it needs built in. when you install it these will be extracted and placed in the PS3MS install folder on your PC so won't effect any other codecs you have installed.

The MEncoder Transcoding engine used by PS3MS is way more efficient than those used by TVersity as well.

You're probably more experienced with this than I am, but I prefer the pre defined organisational structures of the music area of TVersity. If I could get that with PS3MS I would happily ditch TVersity. Not had much success with media library in PS3MS.

You're probably more experienced with this than I am, but I prefer the pre defined organisational structures of the music area of TVersity. If I could get that with PS3MS I would happily ditch TVersity. Not had much success with media library in PS3MS.

you don't have to use the Media library ;)

In the navigation/share settings tab in PS3MS you can just add in the drives/folders you want to appear on the PS3 XMB. I have shared folders named 'Music', 'Video' & 'Photos' on my PC containing all my Media; these are added in PS3MS and appear on the XMB on the PS3 exactly as they do on the PC.

the main benefit of the Media library function (in fact the only reason i have it turned on) is that it caches images for your shared media speeding up browsing your folders on the PS3. I never actually use the media library to view my files.

But don't they just appear as they are listed in the folder? Sometimes I want to list by artist, other times by album. Does PM3MS let me do this?

But don't they just appear as they are listed in the folder? Sometimes I want to list by artist, other times by album. Does PM3MS let me do this?

Yes they will appear just as they are stored in the folder heirachy on the PC. If you want to list by another view then this is what the media library is for.

Personally speaking I just prefer the folder view as i have all my music stored on my PC under Artist\Album and this is how they then appear on the PS3.

Hi all

Thanks to both alan8477 & Uridium, I always thought installing PS3MediaServer would mess up TVersity.

Apologies to yeswotever for kind of hijacking your original post, but hopefully knowing that you can install both will allow you to try them for yourself to see which you prefer.

Regards,

no problem at all, i tend to use TVersity myself, as when i used PS3MS, it crashed my "server" computer when it transcoded videos, I haven't used it since, maybe worth another try, I don't think my P4 2.8ghz with 1.5g of ram is powerful enough

no problem at all, i tend to use TVersity myself, as when i used PS3MS, it crashed my "server" computer when it transcoded videos, I haven't used it since, maybe worth another try, I don't think my P4 2.8ghz with 1.5g of ram is powerful enough

Hi yeswotever

Interesting that you had issues with crashing when running PS3MS on your system, I thought that the requirements for this app were typically lower than for TVersity. My PC is essentially very similar to yours, its a P4 3Ghz with 2.25G of ram. TVersity always seemed to run OK.

I have not yet tried PS3MS, but believe it should run OK, with the possible exceptions of FullHD, etc.

I will try to report back on my experience when I get around to trying out PS3MS.

Regards,

My Media Server is a P4D 2.8Ghz, has 4Gb Ram though; both this and PS3 connected via wired Gigabit.

With PS3MS it will happily transcode and stream 720p MKV's with subtitles (I like foreign movies).

Won't cope with 1080p transcodes though.

I'll have to give it another go then, i was under the impression that to transcode films like PS3MS does, it needed more power than my machine can handle, these were only dvd rips i was trying to stream, it was a while ago maybe i had a dodgy earlier version, anyhoo i will try it again

I'll have to give it another go then, i was under the impression that to transcode films like PS3MS does, it needed more power than my machine can handle, these were only dvd rips i was trying to stream, it was a while ago maybe i had a dodgy earlier version, anyhoo i will try it again

iirc the more recent versions of PS3MS included a newer version of Mencoder and was encoded to just remux rather than transcode as much as possible (using little backend horsepower) whereas the early releases pretty much trancoded simply based on the file extension a bit like TVersity (i.e. MKV.. ah I'll transcode that then)

also remember you need to take into account your network bandwidth...even with a high end quadcore PC with gb's of Ram if you try streaming over wi-fi without throttling bandwidth in PS3MS it will stutter.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom