• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 media playback, what's the score?

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
What will the PS3 play, either off disc (DVD-R) or streamed from a PC? Will it play .ts files? Will it play dixv/xvid files?

Cheers,
Andy.

tscotsman

as far as i know it doesnt stream from the pc and it cant play divx/xvid at the moment which is a pity as i was hoping that it would since the 360 doesnt.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Really, I thought I'd read somewhere it would play divx/xvid files? I'm thinking specifically about the HR.HDTV divx files with AC3 audio, would it play those for example? Presumably if you can't stream files to the PS3 can you copy them from a PC to the PS3 HD over the network and play from there?

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Really, I thought I'd read somewhere it would play divx/xvid files? I'm thinking specifically about the HR.HDTV divx files with AC3 audio, would it play those for example? Presumably if you can't stream files to the PS3 can you copy them from a PC to the PS3 HD over the network and play from there?

Nope it cant run those download TVrips but it can run a certain type of MPEG4, maybe that is where you got confused?

themanwithapc

I think with a bit of tweaking about you can run just about anything from it, thanks to the Linux support. You've practically got a PC there, so no reason why it can't run any media file.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom