PS3 Media Playback Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

Ive got a problem trying to setup my ps3 to sync with my laptop.
Ive gone through the setup as on page 1. However i cant find any track when im on the ps3. If i goto the music note menu on the ps3 and drop down 1 i have the windows media symbol, i press 'x' and then the music folder comes onto screen, i press 'x' again and it says all music.Click on that and it says no tracks.

On the laptop i setup a new playlist called ps3tunes. Filled it with mp3's.

So back on the ps3 i goto the playlist section, then folders, then music, then playlists and it see's my playlist folder called ps3tunes, bt again i open that and it says no tracks???????????

Hope you can help me out as its doing my brain in. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Oh just to add, i have vuze on my laptop (a program that stores all my downloaded music) this will sync with the ps3 fine and i can view all the tunes in my vuze ps3 playlist.

Last edited:
When you see your folder, press Triangle and select Display All, do you see your tracks now?

ps. Vuze is a major resource hog, PS3 Media Server is a bit more light weight and does a pretty decent job of sharing media files between ps3 and pc. Worth a look maybe.

cheers mukka, i dont see the tracks when i goto nfo either. Ive got the ps3 media server on now and its working fine.

Mark

Hi,

I'd like to start ripping my dvd's and use my laptop/ps3 as a media server but would like a beginners guide as to how to go about this.

I tried reading this thread and ripping series two of the office using dvd shrink but it didn't work because of copyright protection so instead I copied the dvd using dvd fab. This created some iso files but I'm not sure what to do them or even if this is the best thing that I should be doing. Should I be creating iso files rather than divx etc??

Anyone got an easier guide to follow than this thread?

Thanks

As above. :thumbsup:

Put your ISO files in a folder called (for example) "My DVD Rips" and then set that folder as one of the shared folders in PS3 Media Server's options.

Then, fire up your PS3 and you should see PS3 Media Server listed in the "Video" column and in turn the shared folders that you set up (such as "MY DVD Rips").

HTH.

Great, thanks all. Will this work the same if I transfer the file to store on the ps3 or do I need to do something else to it?

elliothand - seeing as your already using dvdfab - just rip straight to Vob format instead of iso - dependant on what version your using its an option under DVD > mobile selection - choose either VOB or PS3 - both output files are exactly the same. :thumbsup:

So how do you actually play iplayer through a PS3, simply in a browser window. If so, can one play the HD content too

Have you updated your PS3 software to the latest vers. (3.01 on mine)? iPlayer is added as an item to the XMB. Just click and play! How cool is that. Get a sparkly new XMB background too! :thumbsup:

Hi all,

I've used DVDfab to rip a copy of my DVD and selected the ps3 option as per the above suggestion (many thanks). The file plays without any problems on my laptop but when I try to stream it to the PS3 via TVersity I only get the picture and not the sound.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there an option to change the sound format etc that might be causing it? The PS3 sound is currently running via optical out to my Yamaha DSP 757 amp (which I'm guessing supports most sound formats??) if that makes any difference?

Hi all,

I've used DVDfab to rip a copy of my DVD and selected the ps3 option as per the above suggestion (many thanks). The file plays without any problems on my laptop but when I try to stream it to the PS3 via TVersity I only get the picture and not the sound.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there an option to change the sound format etc that might be causing it? The PS3 sound is currently running via optical out to my Yamaha DSP 757 amp (which I'm guessing supports most sound formats??) if that makes any difference?

First step is to ditch TVersity and try PS3 Media Server for streaming ;)

Hi all,

First step is to ditch TVersity and try PS3 Media Server for streaming ;)

+1

i use PS3 Media Server and works a treat :thumbsup:

Hmm... so I tried PS3 Media Server and have the same issue with the video playing but no sound.

In the mean time I downloaded some divx and avi files to test it (in addition to an mpeg4 file from my phone) and they all worked with sound without any problems via media server and tversity. Must be related to the way I'm ripping them but I've got no idea what options I should be using as the files play sound on the laptop!

Ps why's ps3 media better than TVersity?

Hmm... so I tried PS3 Media Server and have the same issue with the video playing but no sound.

In the mean time I downloaded some divx and avi files to test it (in addition to an mpeg4 file from my phone) and they all worked with sound without any problems via media server and tversity. Must be related to the way I'm ripping them but I've got no idea what options I should be using as the files play sound on the laptop!

Ps why's ps3 media better than TVersity?

Not sure why its not working - my dvdfab vobs work fine - outputs DD surround sound as well - check your choosing the correct setting in dvdfab - also try playing the video through the PS3MS transcode folder to see if that helps - haven't used it for a while so can't remember is you have to do this or not.

Ok, so I'm almost there...

In DVDFab I can select the option for ps3 VOB pass through which rips very quickly, allows the file to be streamed to the ps3 with sound and seems to be very good quality (although no choice over which resolution I'd like to watch) but the size of the file is much bigger which puts more pressure on storage space! I was hoping that 320GB would be enough for everything but with this encoding an episode of house takes up 1.7gb let alone some of my films....

When I have selected the other option it creates "The profile is used to create mp4(h264 + aac) file, which can be played in Playstation 3". I can't see any options for a DTS audio track and have been looking through all the online manuals etc. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Ok, so I'm almost there...

In DVDFab I can select the option for ps3 VOB pass through which rips very quickly, allows the file to be streamed to the ps3 with sound and seems to be very good quality (although no choice over which resolution I'd like to watch) but the size of the file is much bigger which puts more pressure on storage space! I was hoping that 320GB would be enough for everything but with this encoding an episode of house takes up 1.7gb let alone some of my films....

When I have selected the other option it creates "The profile is used to create mp4(h264 + aac) file, which can be played in Playstation 3". I can't see any options for a DTS audio track and have been looking through all the online manuals etc. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Seriously stter clear of MP4 if you can. PS3/MP4 issues are documented all over the web. Just use Vob files. Storage is cheaper than it's ever been.

Fixed it! For anyone interested or having similar issues:

If you disable aac sound output on the ps3 settings then the mp4 files will play sound.

No idea what aac has to do with anything! Regardless one thing I've noticed is that although I can play it full screen, having selected the resolution I wanted during encoding, it is very jerky wheras the same media in VOB format plays perfectly.

Is this something to do with the encoding rather than my signal strength? Seems odd!

Thanks for all the help getting me to this point all.

hi guys,

im after some advice. I have a 1tb NAS and am currently going through this process to rip my dvd collection to the nas to stream to my ps3.

Ripping with DVDfab or DVD decrypter
Then encoding with Handbrake to mp4

Im then moving the files to the NAS where the ps3 can see and stream them perfectly.

Im wondering whether there is an easier process? do i have to encode to mp4 as its pretty time consuming.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom