PS3 Media Playback Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes thanks to development of a big screen mode for the Wii BBC iPlayer does work well on the PS3 now. Even if/when the HD stuff starts to work don't even think about it if your connected wirelessly though ;)

I tend to normally d/l my TV shows, but I may give this iplayer thingy a try. So to reiterate I simply browse to the BBC website with the PS3 browser and play from there. I would simply try now but I can't get near the TV for a few days.

That's a bit random, what TV ?

PlayTV is a paid-for piece of equipment.

There's an iplayer equivalent for the PS3 which i presume is totally free.

You'll have to be slightly more specific...
Sorry i mis-read the 1st post about Streaming live TV from the pc! D'oh!

Quick question. When I stream video or watch a DVD on the Xbox 360, if I stop and then restart the video (even if in the meantime other videos or DVD's have been watched) the xbox asks if you want to resume or restart the video..If there any feature like this with the PS3 ? I can't seem to find it. Does the PS3 automatically resume play where a video was stopped ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Videos on the hd will resume automatically from where you left them. DVDs will resume but I haven't played enough of them to work out how long it will remember them. Blurays sometimes resume but never if they have a pretty icon on the XMB when inserted. Streamed videos don't resume in my experience.

Wow that was a quick answer, thanks...So is it confirmed that streamed video on the PS3 does not resume or offer to resume play ?....I used to like that feature, especially useful if you have a load of episodes and can't remember which episode you watched last and it saves forwarding to find where you left off..

I was meant to try this for a while, I just did...and failed miserably:(

so what I wanted to do is create a playlist in a format the PS3 is supposed to read (*.m3u) and simply play it.

the difficulty being that the tracks contained in the aforementionned playlist are stored on an external HDD attached to my PS3 not on its internal HD (would be too easy right :D)
by doing this, I wanted to bypass the poor Media handling capability of the PS3 as soon as the media are not stored on its internal drive.no possibility to shuffle tracks from 2 different folders or jump from the last track of a folder to the first one of the next folder etc etc:thumbsdow

so I connected the USB HDD on my laptop, created the playlist with winamp and stored it onto the Root folder as well as the MUSIC folder I have created on the HDD. reconnected the HDD via USB to the PS3 and obviously, no traces of the m3u file anywhere on the XMB:rolleyes:

Please tell me that I am missing something...or that you have tried and didnt succeed either so I can have a rest and look after my wife who is wondering what I am doing in this late and muggy evening for us in China:devil:

PS:i know I could stream the playlist from my laptop but that is not my point here:lesson:

Last edited:
thanks again uridium but even pls file dont show up:(

i give up:suicide:

yeah as said in my PS, streaming is fine but I dont want to start up my laptop to play media, that was the point for me to buy an extrenal HHD to store photos, music and video from there:Dand more importantly play them:(
but looking at the poor capability of the PS3 in that area, I am now looking at the PROS and CONS of media playback capabilities of the 360:eek:

I really wanted to love my PS3 (I am really a casualgamer due to wife and work commitment:rolleyes:) as Media Hub, why SONY cant achieve that sort of features is:confused:

hi

i am just about to upgrade my hdd to a 320gb and want to copy all of my music from my external hd to the new hard drive.

it's in the 'MUSIC' folder at the moment so do i just copy that folder over or do i have to copy the individual folders within the folder?

thanks

i copied my entire MP3 collection to my PS3 hdd last night and apart from the fact it took forever, the way the PS3 organises the folders is pretty horrendous. they are just all over the place. My entire collection is tagged.

stick to external USB!

if anyone could help with the best way to tag these files it would be much appreciated. i am experimenting with mp3 tag at the moment.

Last edited:
i copied my entire MP3 collection to my PS3 hdd last night and apart from the fact it took forever, the way the PS3 organises the folders is pretty horrendous. they are just all over the place. My entire collection is tagged.

stick to external USB!

if anyone could help with the best way to tag these files it would be much appreciated. i am experimenting with mp3 tag at the moment.

Google for a free Java tag called 'Jtagger'

I can't seem to get PS3 media server to automatically start up with the computer. I have to manually click on the .exe file then do a media center search on the PS3, it's the same with Tversity. My 360 recognises Tversity every time.

I've tried adding PS3 media server to the service thingy in windows and selecting automatic, but still no luck

I can't seem to get PS3 media server to automatically start up with the computer. I have to manually click on the .exe file then do a media center search on the PS3, it's the same with Tversity. My 360 recognises Tversity every time.

I've tried adding PS3 media server to the service thingy in windows and selecting automatic, but still no luck

Change the account that PS3 media server service runs as from local system to your own login account.

either that or just disable the service and add the main PMS.exe file to you PC's startup folder on the start menu

I'm wondering how the PS3 decides in what order it displays files, i.e. pictures, videos, etc.
For it would be logical for the PS3 to display the files according to the creation date. However, as far as i can tell it displays files according to the "last access" date. This means that sometimes very old files are displayed first.
Does anyone know how to change this?
For example, i want to see pictures in the sequence of when they were taken. The EXIF data on the pictures is correct, so the PS3 should recognize this.
thanks for any help.

After setting up PS3MS - and reading the 1st post i used mp3tag to tag album art - this seems to be a cool app although doesn't seem to be working at the moment - always error contecting to server!! (worked first time ok)

Got a few probs - firstly browsing through i can see the album art against each track but when playing the track the album cover is not shown on the bottom left as shown in the first post here - what have i done wrong??

2ndly - a 5mb audio file shows up on the ps3 under info tab as 40mb :eek::eek: - not coping at the size - any ideas why this is happening??

EDIT - not sure why the audio tracks are showing up on pc as Windows Media Audio files (did start out planning on using Windows media player to begin with)

Last edited:
I apologize if this has been answered before but could someone please help me out hear (yes I searched the forums and google).

I have backed up a blu-ray using AnyDVDHD. The main output files are *.m2ts. (main one is ~ 27GB) I have read about a lot of converters "mkv to vob" "m2ts to mp4" etc, etc. My PS3 recognizes the *.m2ts file. Do I need to convert this file to something else (or should I)? Is it only to reduce the file size? What is the best program for this conversion?

My AV receiver only does 5.1 right now which I think the *.m2ts file supports. If I move to a 7.1 receiver is that when I need to convert the *.m2ts file.

Sorry for rambling on there is just a lot of info out there and it is confusing with all of the TsRemux, vob, mp4... programs and file formats out there.

Can someone please help me sort all of this out? Thanks!!

You don't need to do anything, as you've found, to .m2ts files.

If you try and play back that .m2ts file, and it ONLY has DTS sound (which is highly unlikely), then you'll get NO sound, as DTS is only supported when played back in the correct structure (AVCHD) off disc or USB HDD/stick.

Don't do anything unless space is a real premium, although as you own the Bluray I don't see any point, you'll lose quality.

Thanks for the reply Axum. I've got 1 more question. The *.m2ts file streams fine to my PS3 but the audio is Spanish. Is there a way in AnyDVD HD or another progam that will make the file have English? I am assuming this is possible because the complete Blu-Ray is backed up to my hard drive which I assume would be the other languages as well.

A detailed response would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

If you load the main .m2ts file into tsMuxer, it'll show you all the streams, you could then try and remove all but the English audio stream.

If you're streaming via USB however, and the .m2ts is in the correctly-structured AVCHD folder, you should be able to get selectable audio during playback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom