PS3 Media Playback Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the FAQ it says turn off all PCM so the amp can handle it rather than the PS3. So do I go to SOUND SETTINGS in the XMB, and then rather than AUTO, just do manual and select everything except the LPCM options?

Using Onkyo HTX-22HD btw.

Thanks for the guide Br0ken, amazing stuff. Also just bought your itrophies, but cannot download it until home as too big for 3g network :smashin

So in the FAQ it says turn off all PCM so the amp can handle it rather than the PS3. So do I go to SOUND SETTINGS in the XMB, and then rather than AUTO, just do manual and select everything except the LPCM options?

Could also do with some help myself.

Will this also benefit blu-rays, DVD's & games?

Using Onkyo HTX-22HD btw.

Thanks for the guide Br0ken, amazing stuff. Also just bought your itrophies, but cannot download it until home as too big for 3g network :smashin

Thanks for the support buying itrophies, don't forget to rate and review it ;)

As has been mentioned, the guide is kinda outdated, especially the media type support and sound. I was hoping another keen avf member would take over and update it, I really don't have the time to do it anymore sadly.

Could also do with some help myself.

Will this also benefit blu-rays, DVD's & games?

In sound settings turn off all 5.1 and 7.1 PCM options, leave everything else ticked.

There is no real benefit in terms of sound quality but you will get a DTS /DD light on your amp :D.

Actually there is one small benefit and that is you can then select DSP's (PL2, DTS Neo etc..) on your amp as most amp's will not let you do this if it is receiving multichannel PCM.

Downside is you will need to bring up the pop-up menu when watching a bluray and go into audio settings and re-enable if you want to get DTS-MA or TrueHD from a bluray.

Thanks for the support buying itrophies, don't forget to rate and review it ;)

As has been mentioned, the guide is kinda outdated, especially the media type support and sound. I was hoping another keen avf member would take over and update it, I really don't have the time to do it anymore sadly.

Well I would do part of it, probably with Uridium, but I don't think we have the necessary permissions...

How come, were you naughty ?! :)

I abused the Ban stick.....;)

Nah to be honest it's just very time consuming. The Mods on AVF have to work hard; Rather than just reading the threads that interest you every single post has to be read and checked.

I would be interested in helping out with updating the Sticky though. Maybe one of the PS3 section mods can think of a way it can be updated by more than one person?

It's a very useful and often referred to thread so i think it really should be kept up to date.

hi chaps, not sure if this should be posted here or not, but i have a basic question regarding the video folders on the ps3. is it possible to make your own folders or are the only ones you can use the ps3 generated month ones?

thanks in advance.

hi chaps, not sure if this should be posted here or not, but i have a basic question regarding the video folders on the ps3. is it possible to make your own folders or are the only ones you can use the ps3 generated month ones?

thanks in advance.

If you mean when streaming then yes you can specify the folders listed but just not with Win Media Player.

With TVersity or Java PS3 Media Player you can get it to mirror the folder structure on the PC.

no mate i meant vids that are stored on the ps3s internal memory.

I'm pretty sure, with videos you have transferred over to the PS3, you can rename the folders that they're stored in..

Yeah you need to press trianlge, go to info, scroll down to album and the change the name. It moves it automatically.

Does anyone know if you can do folders within forlders? For example Movies > Kill Bill box set. I don't you can :thumbsdow

Hi - great information, thanks!

just to chip something in useful here:

If you have an MKV with and AC3 stream, you can convert this for PS3 playback very quickly using tsMuxer (SmartLabs tsMuxeR)

Just add a file into the input queue and select m2ts muxing and hit start. It'll convert a 4 gig file in a couple of minutes & the PS3 plays it back with full DD 5.1 sound output too.

:smashin:

Hi - great information, thanks!

just to chip something in useful here:

If you have an MKV with and AC3 stream, you can convert this for PS3 playback very quickly using tsMuxer (SmartLabs tsMuxeR)

Just add a file into the input queue and select m2ts muxing and hit start. It'll convert a 4 gig file in a couple of minutes & the PS3 plays it back with full DD 5.1 sound output too.

:smashin:

Welcome to 2007.......

seriously as Axum says MKV2VOB will do this and much much more, including patching a DTS encoded MKV with a fake PCM 2.0 channel header so that the PS3 will be fooled into accepting a DTS stream.

The TV on ps3. do you have to pay for that?

So how do you actually play iplayer through a PS3, simply in a browser window. If so, can one play the HD content too

So how do you actually play iplayer through a PS3, simply in a browser window. If so, can one play the HD content too

Yeah just go on the BBC site and find your way to the iplayer bit and it should work straight away. unfortunately HD doesn't work atm but I heard they're working on it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom