ps3 lower resolution as dvd player. why?

djdhrubs

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi. I've just bought a ps3, primarily as a dvd and blu-ray player. I haven't played any blu-ray dvds on it yet, but I've just noticed when playing 'ordinary' dvds that it is playing at a lower resolution on my projector screen than it was before, when i had a denon 2800 II.

As far as I know, my projector, an Infocus IN76, can play up to 720p and 1080i. But now, its playing all my dvds at 576p. I've tried playing around with the 'display settings' on the ps3 settings menu, by unselecting 576p etc, but despite this, it seems to default to 576p.

Just wondered if you guys could shed any light on why this is happening?

Cheers...

have you gone to bd/dvd menu ??? put upscaler to full screen :thumbsup: also make sure 720p and 1080i are ticket in display settings

just a little more info....i use component cables, but as i say, my previous denon played 720p/ 1080i without difficulty.

just a little more info....i use component cables, but as i say, my previous denon played 720p/ 1080i without difficulty.

As far as I know, PS3 will only upscale over HDMI.

Hopefully someone can clarify that for me.

it will only upscale legit dvds over hdmi only but it will upscale back up dvds ok over component,god knows why it's that way but hey it's sony we're talking about;)

Hi. I've just bought a ps3, primarily as a dvd and blu-ray player. I haven't played any blu-ray dvds on it yet, but I've just noticed when playing 'ordinary' dvds that it is playing at a lower resolution on my projector screen than it was before, when i had a denon 2800 II.

As far as I know, my projector, an Infocus IN76, can play up to 720p and 1080i. But now, its playing all my dvds at 576p. I've tried playing around with the 'display settings' on the ps3 settings menu, by unselecting 576p etc, but despite this, it seems to default to 576p.

Just wondered if you guys could shed any light on why this is happening?

Cheers...

As a side note, if you do get an HDMI cable and some blu-rays, the PS3 can pass a 1080p24 signal to the IN76 (with the latest firmware) which looks fantastic in motion :thumbsup:

oh no what a shame. i have my projector at the back of quite a large living room, and all the rest of my equipment at the front, underneath the screen. at the time it was all set up, i was told that hdmi was not particularly robust over longer distances. my wiring needs to bend around corners etc. so with that in mind, the company who set it advised me to use component.

so what you're telling me is that unless i somehow set things up with hdmi (with considerable expense) or back up my whole dvd collection, i've now ended up with a dvd player that's worse than my previous one! do you know if i can get top quality (for my component cables) resolution for blu-rays, which i haven't tried yet?

ps i haven't got the latest firmware for IN76 yet either. how exactly does one do that...you download the software from the infocus website, and then what? as in what do you physically do exactly?

If you decide to go with hdmi,then distances over 10m will require a repeater,a sort of active boost,that assists longer hdmi runs.You got duff info from the company you mention,i'm afraid.How many metre's would you need?

its approximately 13 metres in total, having added up all the bends. there are approximately nine 90 degree bends around corners. i've seen the hdmi cables, which look quite fat. are you sure that hdmi cables would be robust and deliver decent signal despite the 13m (with a boost) and all the bends? i'd imagine it would be fairly expensive too!

p.s. thanks for all your help with this guys!

ITs a copy protection issue. HDMI is protected by HDCP but Component isn't. For some reason Sony wont upscale to an unprotected signal.

its approximately 13 metres in total, having added up all the bends. there are approximately nine 90 degree bends around corners. i've seen the hdmi cables, which look quite fat. are you sure that hdmi cables would be robust and deliver decent signal despite the 13m (with a boost) and all the bends? i'd imagine it would be fairly expensive too!

p.s. thanks for all your help with this guys!

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/index.htm

These guy's sell in feet,so about 45 foot would do,looks like about $120.00,obviously check around before buying:smashin:and they don't require a boost by the look of them.

Are you ACTUALLY noticing a difference in quality or are you just noticing the fact that the projector is now saying 576? At the end of the day, the upscaling has to happen in one of two places - in the player or in the projector. Don't fall into the trap of assuming that the scaler in the player must be superior to that in the projector, as it very well may not be!

Looking at Lindy's website (a very reputable cable manufacturer), they will do you a 10M cable rated for 1080P in their 'Gold' range for £83, but their 15M in the same range is only rated for 1080i.

Steve

thanks. yeah there is a noticeable difference in quality now that its 576p. unfortunately. plus its slightly defeated the purpose of my getting a ps3 as a dvd player. it seems that for someone with my equipment, its hdmi or a big picture quality drop.

could i learn to live with 576p? well, possibly, but i still feel a little stupid.

by the way i live in the uk. and does anyone know if several 90 degree bends lend themselves to hdmi?

i currently run a 15m hdmi cable, into a hdmi link (just two female sockets in a piece of plastic, no repeater gubbery, and into a 1m hdmi to m1a (my projectors connection).

Works fine, at up to 1080i that i know of (pj wont take 1080p). If it works at that length 720p and 1080i i would assume there is not enough signal degradation to prevent using it.

Cable was a 15m hdmi, £17.99 from scan.co.uk

You should be fine anywhere up to 20m or so. I've had mine working perfectly with a passive splitter and an extra 1m cable at the start of that wiring aswell and had no problems with the cable. (also going round several bends)

edit - 90 degree bends, depends on the cable i guess, mine goes round a couple of 90 degree bends, however its by no means tightly wired in. Being a student i have to be able to easily take it out in a years time.... I would guess you would be ok, depends how tight you need to wire to those corners.

I have a pj, I use a 10m HDMI lead . This lead is then connected to the 1.5m HDMI leads on my PS3/HD-DVD/V+ box as and when needed.
PQ is excellent.
10m HDMI was about £16 from Ebay, it is a flat cable.

Probably your best long term solution is HDMI-to-CAT5.
Then you run CAT5 cables along the long runs rather than the rather fat HDMI. And CAT5 is built for bandwidth etc...

Must admit I kinda wish I hadn't gone for 42" LCD TV, as I( was using a PJ before at SVHS and I thought 1080p on a projector would be way to expensive etc ... but now I miss that OOMPH when watching movies on the old 6 foot screen!

Of course, I'd have exactly the same problem as you, my PJ needed a 10M run for the cables, and if I'd done a proper install it would have been more like 15M.

Still .. I could sell the 42" LCD, buy a small 32" for TV watching. Add in CAT5 cableing to my lounge (and redecorate at the same time .. always little drawbacks!) buy a new shiney 1080p PJ, and get the old screen out of storage. The only downside is I'd have to amdit to 'her-indoors' that I was indeed hasty and made a mistake in buying the LCD in the first place :rolleyes:

BT

Before doing anything I'd recommend moving your ps3 near the projector and testing it with a shorter hdmi cable. The last thing you want to do is spend a lot of time and expense on a new run and find you're not happy with the result anyway!

thanks for your suggestions. wow, wireless hdmi sounds fantastic. how much do you know about this? is it available for retail at present?

i don't want to move my ps3 closer to the projector. the projector is fixed to the ceiling, and there simply isn't a decent space to put the ps3. plus, i'd only end up having to make my audio cables longer.

from what you guys say, i should have insisted on hdmi cabling around my room. but wireless hdmi sounds like smething worth waiting for.

My suggestion was to test the ps3 dvd playback by moving it near the projector. Not a permanent solution, just to check you are happy with the HDMI playback of the PS3 before investing in a new cable run.

oh ok. but the truth is i'd be happy with my previous component 720p/ 1080i picture quality, so i'm sure i'd be happy with HDMI. I'm just not happy with 576p...it really is noticeable, and I just feel that I've been short-changed from the whole buying the ps3 deal. guess i should have researched these details before, but i assumed things would be at least the same if not better, with normal dvds.

it will only upscale legit dvds over hdmi only but it will upscale back up dvds ok over component,god knows why it's that way but hey it's sony we're talking about;)

It's not a Sony specific issue and without going into a detailed explanation all or pretty much all devices that play optical media in particular SD DVD's only upscale when using HDMI as the video output. It's a copy protection issue.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom