Quantcast

Ps3 loud fan

dasachmo

Standard Member
Hi guys. I just wanted a bit of advice regarding my ps3. Recently... Possibly due to the incredibly hot weather, my ps3 fan has become very loud. I've seen the other articles here but could this possibly be due to a hard drive issue?
The reason I ask is because it the fan stays quiet if I'm browsing the Internet, streaming video, love film etc. It only comes on after 5 to 10 mins of game play... The time taken for it to kick in is longer if I haven't used the ps3 for a while. It only happens with games and the fan will not turn off until I turn off the ps3. Any ideas

sykotik

how old is the ps3 ?
where is is it kept? < is there plenty of "air" around it !

iv had mine now for 4 years and it's just started to get noisy ,

dasachmo

Standard Member
Hi it's a 40gb fat ps3. I bought it literally the week it came out so it's a good few years old. And yes. Theres plenty of air. I saw the YouTube video on raising it up so it's literally 4 inches off the ground to allow air to access the vents underneath. I've jus watched a good hour on love film. No issues. 5 mins of call of duty and the fan kicks in on loud!

sykotik

yea using the disc drive will make the ps3 use more power , and it will get hotter!

you could try giving it a clean out "removing the top and cleaning out the insides"
or put a vacuum to the vents at the back and try cleaning it that way
it may work or not , " you may surprised how much dust will be in there "

sykotik

i used this vid to help me do my first fix with YLOD
i was going to mention this method earlier but didnt want to worry you

Simba

Distinguished Member
you may have already read my thread but for me the fan was kickin in full blast even on idle, 60gb phat.

reapplying thermal paste was a total transformation. id say since your ps3 is still pretty old id still go ahead and do it, high chance it will help during gameplay - the fan on mine doesnt go to full blast anymore.

could also depend on the psu in your model - i have the aps-227 in mine - but you wont know unless you open it up. some chat on that here, ************Help avoid the YLOD************ ***3 tips for a Cooler and Greener PS3***

dasachmo

Standard Member
right guys, I think im just going to bite the bullet and just open everything up an get some thermal paste. I think after this many years it needs a bit of maintenance and certainly don't want it to progress to YLOD.
PS any recommendations on which/where to get the paste. the artic one is best right?

Simba

Distinguished Member
Yeh go for mx4. Top stuff.

Simba

Distinguished Member
Oh and be careful with the hdd cage screws, can strip the heads very easily

Happened to me before, opened it up, quick vac (full of dust btw) and problem solved.