• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3.... keep getting a blank screen on TV !

majorstare

Established Member
I keep getting a blank screen on my TV whilst using my PS3 for games and DVD/Blueray.

Had a problem 2 weeks ago when i couldnt get a picture on my TV. Changed the cheap HDMI lead for an expensive item and its solved it. But during the last few days the screen (Philips LCD) keep going black, the only cure is to turn the TV off and on.
Did it twice tonight within 10 minutes of a two hour game session and same again in the week watching a DVD series, 3 times in a 3 hour session.

Doesnt do it whilst watching Virgin Media box, which tells me the TV is ok?

Any ideas?:confused:

Last edited:

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
Have you tried the PS3 in a different HDMI input on your TV? It could be the socket, though it sounds like it could possibly be a handshaking issue.

majorstare

Established Member
I agree, it sounds like an issue with talking, PS3 to TV.

Will try another HDMI socket on the TV.

Do i take the HDMI lead back to the shop? Could the lead be faulty? :confused:

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
I agree, it sounds like an issue with talking, PS3 to TV.

Will try another HDMI socket on the TV.

Do i take the HDMI lead back to the shop? Could the lead be faulty? :confused:

It's possible but i'd try to isolate the problem first - try the PS3 with the same lead in another HDMI input and if that doesn't work use the HDMI lead with another piece of kit to see if that cuts out too. If so then it would appear evident that the lead is at fault. Let us know how you get on. :smashin:

Dave H

Prominent Member
Mine does it now and again I have too pull the HDMI lead out of the back and put it in again and then the picture comes on :confused:

Dave.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
i had this with my Phillips LCD it was the HDMI cable. the Phillips sets are very fussy about HDCP compatibility. got a cheap cable no picture a few times brought a more expensive cable which stated 1080p HDCP compatable on it and prooblem solved. also had the same happen with an HDMI switch box wouldnt disply so had to buy a specific brand name switch box fully HDCP compliant not just a cheap hong kong job off ebay.

majorstare

Established Member
Cheers guys but i think its the Philips TV, which is 12 months and 5 days old,so just out of its warranty:mad::(

Just tonight.....
TV on stand by, Virgin Meda box off.
Turn on VM box, turn on TV from remote.
Blank/black screen (but have sound).
Turn TV off and on.

Currently ok.

Looks like a new TV, repair, or beg with Philips to get it FOC repaired:thumbsdow

Gutted :(

Last edited:

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
try a cable that specificay says HDCP compliant (for £10 say dont go over board) not just a really cheap one from hong kong. like a said phillips sets are more fussy about HDCP.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom