PS3 just died - Sony contact number?

charles bronson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My PS3 won't go past the sony welcome screen. I've tried everything, swapping hard drives, all the 'power off' methods.
But no luck.

Does anyone know the best number to phone Sony on to get a replacement (or some intital advice from them)?

I thought i'd start this thread as a general place where people can diguss Hardware issues they may be experiencing with their PS3 consoles.

Whether your console is not reading discs or the console is not even Powering, put it here and someone may be able to advise.

My Console is faulty and needs to be returned

1. Firstly if your console is faulty then your 1st port of call is the retailer where you bought the console. Under the sales of Goods Act, the retailer is responisble to either replace or repair your console

2. Another option is to Call SONY customer support on 08705 99 88 77 They tend to be very helpful and in most cases will replace your console for a new or re-furbished one.

What is Continous Play?

Continous Play is a warrenty based service that SONY offer via 'Domestic & General'. It costs as little as £5 a month for a PS3 and incase of a claim guarentees a new console within 2 days

Sony continuous play

Just to add my 2p worth...

If anyone is having controller malfunctions, try the controller reset. It's a little recessed button, push it down with a pin. Here's a couple of pics:

Attachments

• ps3_controller_reset.jpg
    ps3_controller_reset.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,084
  • sixaxishelphv1.jpg
    sixaxishelphv1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 3,464
Do you think the reatailer will replace my ps3 as its 10 months old or should i ring sony?

My problem is that on LBP nearly everytime i go in or out of a level it freezes on a white screen and i have to hold down the button on the ps3 to turn it off.

I have had a new copy of LBP, reinstalled the ps3 firmware, started a new game save and put my old 40GB hard drive in and its still freezing.

Anything else i could try or should it be replaced?

Thanks

Do you think the reatailer will replace my ps3 as its 10 months old or should i ring sony?

My problem is that on LBP nearly everytime i go in or out of a level it freezes on a white screen and i have to hold down the button on the ps3 to turn it off.

I have had a new copy of LBP, reinstalled the ps3 firmware, started a new game save and put my old 40GB hard drive in and its still freezing.

Anything else i could try or should it be replaced?

Thanks

just phone sony.... if it's faulty they will replace it even if it's over 1 years old
just make sure that you put your 40g hd back in if you send it back

edit sorry i didnt read the post proplerly.....
TobiasFunke.... yes! you should/can take it back to the retailer
you get a 12 month's warranty on all machines
so there's on reason they shouldn't take it back.

andrew

Last edited:
Another option is to Call SONY customer support on 08705 99 88 77 They tend to be very helpful and in most cases will replace your console for a new or re-furbished one.

01923 653598

Thast the landline number for the Sony Careline I got from SAYNOTO0870.com. Should save you having to call the premium rate number and getting charged loads.

edit sorry i didnt read the post proplerly.....
TobiasFunke.... yes! you should/can take it back to the retailer
you get a 12 month's warranty on all machines
so there's on reason they shouldn't take it back.

andrew

As mentioned in the OP your first port of call is with the retailer, especially if under a year old. Just be aware that most of the big retailers have SLA's (service level agreements) with the big manufacturers and it may not be as simple as swapping it over as mentioned above. They may want to send it back for testing before doing anything else. That would be annoying but they are within their rights to do that and I know some do exactly that. If I were you I would speak to the retailer and see what there policy is, if it is worse than Sony's then just call them:smashin:.

01923 653598

Thast the landline number for the Sony Careline I got from SAYNOTO0870.com. Should save you having to call the premium rate number and getting charged loads.

That number doesnt work anymore. I spent ages last week trying to find an alternative, but couldnt find any that work:mad: and had to use the 0870 number

un****ing believable. this is the first time since i bought it 11 months ago that it has had a good run out,i bought motorstorm 2 (and love it) and band of brothers blu ray this morning,halfway through disc 2 of bob and the bloody thing freezes up,no problem quick on off and it will be ok.OH NO,now it wont recognise any discs what so ever.dvd,game or blu ray and to twist the knife even more i have resistance 2 coming on import tomorrow and the bloody machine is also import *******!

man that sux, having no warranty with a import PS3 is one of the reasons i didn't import mine it was to much of a investment to not have any cover, but i guess that's the risk you take.

If it's spinning the disks up okay but just not reading them then you could try replacing the laser (KES-400AAA), however you'll need to be fairly handy with a screwdriver. Of course if that doesn't work you could end up another £26 down, but as an owner of a 60gig US launch console myself it's definitely the road I'd go down.

ive just been playing tiger woods and it started crashing and a lot of the download stuff has went missing :confused: gone of the screen
funny been seeing a big increase in faulty ps3,s lately
do they have a policy the same as the 360 or is it still 1 year warrenty

ive just been playing tiger woods and it started crashing and a lot of the download stuff has went missing :confused: gone of the screen
1 year warranty, you are now seeing a big increase in faulty PS3's because you are seeing a huge increase in the amount of people buying them. I put a few music folders on my PS3 yesterday and I cannot find one of them :confused:, must be somewhere though because it won't let me add it again.

1 year warranty but they do replace / repair machines out of warranty, i guess because they're aware of the sale of goods act (items costing a reasonable amount should last a reasonable amount of time, something like 5 years). Their customer service seems to be excellent in this regard.

Hi Guys,

I've not had my PS3 long and it will be out of waranty. When i switch it on, more often than not it wont start up, you hear the fans spin up for about 3 seconds and then othing, the green light is on, can put disks in and eject them.

I though at first it was a handshaking issue with the HDMI as im going into my AV amp and then my LCD. So I thought I'd use component instead. It does the same thing. I hold the on button down untill I get 3 beeps but it doesnt reboot in most cases, takes lots of on and offs before it fires up properly.

Any ideas?

thanks guys

sounds like its on its way out id get it swapped before the warenty goes if i were you !

You could try re-formatting the HDD. Make sure you back up your game saves, at the very least though! If that does not fix it (and it is a long shot) then you'll need to contact Sony.

sounds like its on its way out id get it swapped before the warenty goes if i were you !

thanks mate, I just phoned sony and they are going to swap it out. Not bad going considering I bought it off eBay and the bloke sold it as a 40gb, it even came in a 40gb Playstation box. Was very suprised to see that it was a 60

Sony were very helpful, they told me to make up a purchase date and have arranged a date for them to come and swap it.

Just thought i'd give a summary of some a recent problem i had.

I recently had a problem where my PS3 started to crash during FIFA, and then refuse to recognize any discs - i then received error codes - 80010514 & 80010516.

The fix i found was to do a full format on the hard drive. The 1st time i did this, it recognized discs but i then restored my backup data and the problem reoccured. 2nd time i did a full format and didnt back up, and i could then manage to play games and have done for the past week until today where the problem has now just cropped up again.

Luckily after the 1st format/restore problem i phoned the careline and they had arranged a replacement which will arrive tomorrow.

It appears to me that my problem must be hardware related, as the same issue occured and the only solution was to get it replaced by Sony.

Last week I signed up for the continuous play just in case my 60 Gb Playstation decides it wants to be brick, so I'm I right in thinking you must have some kind of confirmation email or something through the post?

I've phoned the helpline to see whether the application has been processed, which it has, but still no confirmation???

to be honest mate i dont think alot of people have used that yet cause it seem ssony fix ps3 reguardless, but belt and braces like they say.

i would have thought they would have sent you some thing but they have to send a reciept of some sort, what info did you give them when you wrang? just email and name?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom