PS3 is thier no difference between PAL/NTSC?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by J_C_X, Dec 19, 2006.

1. J_C_X

J_C_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just wondering why does the PS3 have a universal power supply? Is region free? Is it possible Sony were'nt lying that the 1st machines were PAL because there all the same anyway? Is it just the DVD/BR region that different but surely thats programmed in is it?

2. Xmax250

Xmax250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Most modern electrical supplies now have switchable voltages between 110 and 240 volts. In any case its not the power supply that determines if a unit is region free, thats down to programming of the software the drives the device.

PAL is a European standard and NTSC is usually for USA and Japanese products. The games on a PS3 are definitley regionalised. For example, I cant play any of my UK PS2 discs in my USA PS3 because the PS3 has been programmed to detect game regions.

However you can play Japanese PS3 games on a USA PS3 (and vice versa) because they are from the same region - NTSC. Nobody knows for sure yet whether you'll be able to play European PS3 games on an NTSC system but its a fairly safe bet that you wont be able to do this.

I havent tested DVDs and BDs on my system, maybe someone else can confirm region compatibility?

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,095
    I thought JPN PS3 games worked on a US PS3 because the games were not region coded, not that they used the same region because if they were to bring in region coding then only US games would work on a US console.

Also, terms like PAL and NTSC arent relevant to the PS3 if you are running in HD because 720p/1080i/1080p are the same worldwide.

4. ikduncan

ikduncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    PAL is a European standard and NTSC is usually for USA and Japanese products. The games on a PS3 are definitley regionalised. For example, I cant play any of my UK PS2 discs in my USA PS3 because the PS3 has been programmed to detect game regions.

However you can play Japanese PS3 games on a USA PS3 (and vice versa) because they are from the same region - NTSC. Nobody knows for sure yet whether you'll be able to play European PS3 games on an NTSC system but its a fairly safe bet that you wont be able to do this.

I havent tested DVDs and BDs on my system, maybe someone else can confirm region compatibility?[/QUOTE]

Rubbish!

the ps2 games are region locked due to copyright etc reasons between publishers, at the time the ps2 was released.

the ps3 games work as sony said prior to release they will not implement region protection (due probably to two things, success of the PSP , the australian rulings regarding modchips), to date all publishers have followed sonys lead.

UK/EURO games will work perfectly as long as the publishers continue to choose not to implement the flag as per sony (whose games should not have a flag)

5. J_C_X

J_C_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'd imagine you can play NTSC games on a PAL system as Sony claim this will combat piracy.