"PS3 is dying on the Shelves" I think NOT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll be too busy watching films on your 'toast' format :rotfl:

It would be even more interesting to imagine what human kind will be doing in a 100 years with technology, the mind boggles. :eek:

Here you go more doom and gloom,

Rumor: Sony To Close "Major Divisions" Next Month

Funny how these so called "story's" always get front page billing on Xbox 360 sites. :rolleyes:
Xbox fans/sites seam to be more concerned about what Sony are up to rather than their choice of console/manufacturer.

That's where our interest is piqued. Sony only have a few "major divisions", and the money-leaking PlayStation group is one of them. And while it's hard to imagine Sony pulling the plug on one of the most famous brands this industry has ever seen, it's equally hard to imagine them pulling out of televisions or digital cameras, either.

According to some Xbots, sorry couldn't resist the Playstation brand will be closed down in February. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Just read some of those replay's there classic. :smashin:

Last edited:
Funny how these so called "story's" always get front page billing on Xbox 360 sites. :rolleyes:
Xbox fans/sites seam to be more concerned about what Sony are up to rather than their choice of console/manufacturer.

Its getting to the point where a lot of Xbox owners are looking towards the 'dark side' as we call it. I know of 4 die-hard xbox fanboys who got PS3 consoles for Chrismas and unsuprisingly they all love them!:clap:

Personally I don't pay any attention to articles like the CNN one. I find they are all biased and never give the full story. The forums like this are where the real stories are, once you get past the PS3 vs. 360 arguements, of course! :D

That's where our interest is piqued. Sony only have a few "major divisions", and the money-leaking PlayStation group is one of them. And while it's hard to imagine Sony pulling the plug on one of the most famous brands this industry has ever seen, it's equally hard to imagine them pulling out of televisions or digital cameras, either.

According to some Xbots, sorry couldn't resist the Playstation brand will be closed down in February. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

It gets page hits, either from 360 fans who click the link and feel good inside, or PS3 fans who click the link prepared to argue with it.

That's how it works. It amazes me that we've lived with tabloid newspapers for so long yet everybody thinks random internet sites with commercial interests should be paragons of moral enlightenment, and get upset when they aren't.

Seriously, I can't believe this thread is 200 posts long and counting. It should have been closed straight off, or at least after it veered way off topic into blu-ray land...

Its getting to the point where a lot of Xbox owners are looking towards the 'dark side' as we call it. I know of 4 die-hard xbox fanboys who got PS3 consoles for Chrismas and unsuprisingly they all love them!:clap:

Personally I don't pay any attention to articles like the CNN one. I find they are all biased and never give the full story. The forums like this are where the real stories are, once you get past the PS3 vs. 360 arguements, of course! :D

On that so called site I mention above a few weeks ago they posted a headlined news story that Blu-Ray is failing in Japan and only a small number have adopted it, they even said more people use VHS. :eek:

Don't know who did the poll but the real numbers are that Blu-Ray is a storming success in Japan the info is there to clearly see.
The survey was done with a 1000 random people in Japan probably middle aged rice farmers that don't even own a TV but they post it anyway to try and make out Sony are doing bad and to make their readers feel better with their choice of console. :confused:

Last edited:
It gets page hits, either from 360 fans who click the link and feel good inside, or PS3 fans who click the link prepared to argue with it.

That's how it works. It amazes me that we've lived with tabloid newspapers for so long yet everybody thinks random internet sites with commercial interests should be paragons of moral enlightenment, and get upset when they aren't.

Seriously, I can't believe this thread is 200 posts long and counting. It should have been closed straight off, or at least after it veered way off topic into blu-ray land...

I'm not arguing with it, I was reading another forum and clicked on a link, all I was doing is stating the fact that there is so much misinformation and lies and that the PS3 is doing fine, I feel that's relevant to a thread called "PS3 is dying on the Shelves" I think NOT!!

And whats wrong with continuing a discussion if people are enjoying it and it's civilized? :thumbsup:

And whats wrong with continuing a discussion if people are enjoying it and it's civilized? :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with constructive debate. I just wish these threads could all be merged into a single 'console wars' one so it's easily avoidable ;)

Nothing wrong with constructive debate. I just wish these threads could all be merged into a single 'console wars' one so it's easily avoidable ;)

:eek: And that thread would last long wouldn't it! :D:rotfl:

In other words: "I don't agree with you but I don't actually have a counterpoint so I'm just going to turn it into a personal slanging match......"

Puh-lease! I'm putting forward a different viewpoint to you not claiming omnipotence :rolleyes:

Actually, I didn't accuse anyone of being a fanboy, I called certain arguments or statements fanboyish but deliberately didn't make any personal accusations.

However, you seem to have taken that pretty personally regardless so I don't see much point in continuing the 'debate' on this thread which is degenerating into increasingly personal and fractious postings - such as this very post from you I'm replying to.

Gav, in replying to your posts both in this thread and the Blu Ray is Dead thread I have tried to put forward my arguments constructively and without rancour or sarcasm. I am not reacting to your "fanboyish" comments I am replying because I think you are totally wrong in your assertion that the PS3 is dead or dying and the same for Blu Ray. Only one of us can be correct and since we cannot convince one another to our respective arguments we will have to agree to disagree. I will not comment on any subsequent posts of yours and I hope you will reciprocate.:thumbsup:

I'm not arguing with it, I was reading another forum and clicked on a link, all I was doing is stating the fact that there is so much misinformation and lies and that the PS3 is doing fine, I feel that's relevant to a thread called "PS3 is dying on the Shelves" I think NOT!!

Well yes there is, but you can't correct every incorrect piece of information on the internet!

These threads just remind me of this:

duty_calls.png

I really get baffled by the brand loyalty thing... People actually want their favourite brand's competitors to go out of business?

Bizarre...

I have a nice pair of Etnies trainers, love 'em! Does this mean i should want DC, Airwalk, Vans etc to go out of business or stop making trainers? Why does it matter? :confused:

Well yes there is, but you can't correct every incorrect piece of information on the internet!

duty_calls.png

Image duly saved to my desktop, ready to be used at a later date. :D

duty_calls.png

"For truth, justice and the American way" we can do it! after all "With great power comes great responsibility" We owe it to the future generations "To bring peace and harmony to the Internet" :rotfl:

check out xkcd's other comics - great way to sink time.

"Nostalgia" is my favourite but it's slightly nsfw..:D

duty_calls.png

I might as well stop using the internet then:D

That's because Microsoft have fired every shot they have in this format war, an early launch, buying up former PS3 exclusives, releasing their own exclusives, and regular price drops.

The result is a thrashing from the Wii, an insignificant sales lead over the far more expensive PS3, with price cuts and bigger exclusives to come, and losing the HD format war.

If I was a Microsoft shareholder I'd like nothing better than Sony to pack up the games division, Microsoft could end up in third place again, despite the hype and spin over current sales performances.

The only sure bet is Nintendo will win both the sales, and more importantly, profit battle this generation.

Last edited:
MS have done fantastically well with the 360 and all gamers should be glad to see that it's sold well and that we have 3 strong platforms this time. I personally felt that it was a shame that the Xbox didn't sell as well as it deserved to (It is probably the best console that will ever be released when compared to it's peers of the same generation) as it had so much potential. The 360 isn't half the console that the Xbox was, but the live system is superb and has really developed well since the early days.

Given the deck of cards the PS3 was dealt to play (being used to help win the HD format war, the huge price tag, the later release etc.) I think it's doing really well and things will only improve for the platform in terms of sales. :)

It's good to have such an interesting generation after the Sony domination of the last 2. :thumbsup:

MS have done fantastically well with the 360 and all gamers should be glad to see that it's sold well and that we have 3 strong platforms this time. I personally felt that it was a shame that the Xbox didn't sell as well as it deserved to (It is probably the best console that will ever be released when compared to it's peers of the same generation) as it had so much potential. The 360 isn't half the console that the Xbox was, but the live system is superb and has really developed well since the early days.

Given the deck of cards the PS3 was dealt to play (being used to help win the HD format war, the huge price tag, the later release etc.) I think it's doing really well and things will only improve for the platform in terms of sales. :)

It's good to have such an interesting generation after the Sony domination of the last 2. :thumbsup:

Cas, games wise the Xbox really wasn't up to much which is why it never hit it's full potential but the really huge plus of the Xbox had little to do with MS. 4 letters. X. B. M. C.

You can't have a pop at MS for selling / marketing their product well, surely. :confused:

That's because Microsoft have fired every shot they have in this format war, an early launch, buying up former PS3 exclusives, releasing their own exclusives, and regular price drops.

The result is a thrashing from the Wii, an insignificant sales lead over the far more expensive PS3, with price cuts and bigger exclusives to come, and losing the HD format war.

If I was a Microsoft shareholder I'd like nothing better than Sony to pack up the games division, Microsoft could end up in third place again, despite the hype an spin over current sales performances.

The only sure bet is Nintendo will win both the sales, and more importantly, profit battle this generation.

Cas, games wise the Xbox really wasn't up to much which is why it never hit it's full potential but the really huge plus of the Xbox had little to do with MS. 4 letters. X. B. M. C.

Indeed, that's what I was getting at in my post. Sadly it's potential was never really realised, but as a device I don't think it will ever be beaten in comparison with it's 'peers' (i.e. consoles of the same generation). When modded with an Xecuter 3, a nice 120gb HDD and XBMC etc. it was an amazing device :).

There were some great games on it though (PGR2, Halo 1&2, KOTOR, Ninja Gaiden, Rallisport Challenge 2, Forza, Farcry Instincts, PES 4&5 etc.) and it's just a shame that the much inferior PS2 had many of the best titles released on it exclusively.

I loved the Xbox and like the PS3 it was a console that I loved to own and use. The PS2 and 360 both have lots of great games on them but if i'm honest as devices they are both a bit....meh IMO. The build quality, upgradability and features of each console are pretty poor to be fair. I know that the most important thing is the games, but I am personally a sucker for a nice, well engineered piece of kit as well. Thankfully, this last 12 months have been superb for PS3 games (much better than it has been for 360 games IMO) and the next 12 months is also looking loads better for the PS3 IMO with the likes of God of War 3, Killzone 2 and GT5 to name 3 massive hitters!

Last edited:

Ah the original Xbox, now that was a well built console and was my favoured of that generation. MS obviously learnt from their mistakes and made some very sound judgements with the 360 (some bad). In some ways Sony are a victim of their own success with the PS2 and the continued success of that machine.
Who would have thought we would be discussing such an issue as this 5 years ago.

You can't have a pop at MS for selling / marketing their product well, surely. :confused:
How is the 360 being trounced by the Wii, and outselling the PS3 by a relatively small margin, at half the price, MS doing a good job?

At best it's status quo for MS, second place behind the outright leader, and the likelihood of dropping back down to third place when this console generation is over.

The story is how poorly, relatively, the PS3 is performing compared to the PS2, not the 360 being a storming success.

The PS3 has done it's job by establishing Blu-ray, that will bring in far more money than a console generation.

MS's best job has been convincing the press and fanboys the Wii doesn't exist, and trying to convince everyone else because MS wish to maximise sales after 3-4 years with aggressive price cuts, Sony's longer term plans and multiple platform approach, epitomised by the PSONE and PS2, are somehow destined to failure.

For anyone wanting to continue the discussion - Rumor: Sony To Close "Major Divisions" Next Month

Will be very interesting to see which if any of the Major SONY divisions get the boot. I think LCD market is safe as is the Camera/Camcorder market.

Playstation Brand while loosing ALOT of money on PS3 probably breaks even by lower development costs of the console and with the money the PS2/PSP Brings in for them

If i had to hazard a guess then i wouldn't be surprised if they backed out of the AV amp Market or even Speakers for that matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom