"PS3 is dying on the Shelves" I think NOT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^
Unless it gets to the point when sales of BD are big enough that studios stop releasing DVD's, that would make people upgrade just like it helped with the VHS to DVD change over.

Sorry for quoting out of context. It was so true though. I do think the PS3 is a great games machine, it's just I think the decision to put Blu-ray onto it has effectively lost the console war for PS3. Without Blu-ray it could have been out a year earlier and £100 cheaper. Despite what everyone says, the general public have zero interest in Blu-ray. The Blu-ray section in HMV is always like the Marie-Celeste.

RDB

The 360 hasn't won the format war, it is being outsold by a huge margin by the Wii.

Neither could the PS3 launch £100 cheaper without Blu-ray, it's the chipset that is the PS3's biggest cost.

With production costs reduced, Sony have price cuts planned for this year, in addition they have a far supperior exclusive software line-up, it would shock few if the PS3 closed and overtook 360 sales within a year or two.

As for Blu-ray, you mustn't have followed sales closely as 1/5 to 1/4 of sales are now on the format for major titles, it's only a matter of time before sales are close to 50/50.

The 360 hasn't won the format war, it is being outsold by a huge margin by the Wii.

Neither could the PS3 launch £100 cheaper without Blu-ray, it's the chipset that is the PS3's biggest cost.

With production costs reduced, Sony have price cuts planned for this year, in addition they have a far supperior exclusive software line-up, it would shock few if the PS3 closed and overtook 360 sales within a year or two.

As for Blu-ray, you mustn't have followed sales closely as 1/5 to 1/4 of sales are now on the format for major titles, it's only a matter of time before sales are close to 50/50.

Good points, To be honest if the consoles stay in the position they are in at the end of this cycle and bearing in mind Blu-Ray ends up a massive success like DVD then I personally think Microsoft will come out the biggest losers.

Wii sells more and wins the console war, Sony's Blu-Ray ends up the dominant Disk format for the next 20 years and Microsoft lose loads of money in trying to force everybody else out of business.

There are loads of different scenarios and different ways you can look at things and twist them around it's not a simple as placing 1st, 2nd and 3rd. :thumbsup:

One of the things against Bluray is that most people dont appear to care about PQ.

My Dad got a new LCD at Christmas and he never bothered to set it up properly leaving and atrocious picture - I sorted it but he was quite happy.

People are buying huge TVs and having awful pictures but really dont care so a minor improvement from DVD to BD isnt going to make people switch. Tape to DVD was different in that you were changing the methods of storage - tape was old and DVD looked new and fancy. BDs are on DVDs so that mental upgrade isnt there.

People will only buy BD in mass if then NEED to. While you can get everything in DVD cheaper people wont be inteseted to any degree. I think BD has to be cheaper than DVD and I cannot see that happening. Also if the latest releases maybe came out on BD first that could help.

If not I think the reality is BD wont replace DVD ever it will just run along side as a better quality format until streaming etc takes over.
Most people don't buy DVD's on a regular basis, the people that do are the ones that drive the market.

I don't think one in five people are Blu-ray enthusiasts at this time, yet one in five copies of TDK sold were on Blu-ray, this shows the DVD buying public is relatively small.

People won't upgrade to Blu Ray as such, it will simply replace DVD in the same way that other formats have replaced what came before them.

When studios stop releasing DVD's then people will just have to buy Blu Rays. Not a problem really. How many people still buy VHS, Audio Cassettes, Vinyl records etc. The biggest one is probably the switch off of analogue TV as everyone who watches TV has had to either buy a new TV or a new tuner (be it a freeview box, or sky etc.).

At the end of the day, things move on and watching films is a luxury anyway. If people wan't to keep watching new films then eventually (probably a couple of years away yet) they will have to own a Blu Ray player. You'll probably find though that most houses have around 2 or 3 of them by then as happened with DVD players. They will cost hardly anything to buy and you'll probably be able to pick up a Matsui 1080p 32" HDTV with built in Blu Ray for £199 by then.

New tech is always niche initially and although the mass market aren't that bothered about PQ etc. would any of them now go back to their 14" black & white portables? Everyone likes to see sharper & clearer pictures which are as close to reality as possible as they just look better and at that basic level you don't need to be an enthusiast to enjoy the benefits.

With all due respect mate, I am a geek, you are a geek, CAS is a geek...most people on here are geeks :thumbsup: we love HD/ AV and have made it a hobby so to speak!

The problem is that the general public really don't seem to care too much about HD / blu-ray / AV / 1080p etc, whether price is the issue (that's what I believe BTW) who knows, but if there's not a large scale adoption this year / next I feel blu-ray will miss the boat and remain a niche market until the downloads / video on demand via TV become the norm.

Laser disk was a niche market and that lasted a long time, I paid £600 for mine in 1994 which equates to about £900 now :eek:

With all due respect mate, I am a geek, you are a geek, CAS is a geek...most people on here are geeks :thumbsup: we love HD/ AV and have made it a hobby so to speak!

The problem is that the general public really don't seem to care too much about HD / blu-ray / AV / 1080p etc, whether price is the issue (that's what I believe BTW) who knows, but if there's not a large scale adoption this year / next I feel blu-ray will miss the boat and remain a niche market until the downloads / video on demand via TV become the norm.

What you're forgetting Lee is that consumers do not control what they buy, the studio's and manufacturers control what we buy. It's not very cost effective for the market to support 2 formats and from their point of view they will want everything on just one format asap.

I agree that some folk aren't that bothered about specs etc. but it's amazing how many 'non geeks' do like to have a decent setup. I think we sometimes assume that if you're not an AV Geek then you don't care at all and just buy the cheapest rubbish out there. Most folk like to own nice stuff (be it a car, clothes, TV's etc.) and HDTV's & Blu Ray are just another nice thing for folk to own in our consumer society.

My name is clc.sheff and i am a geek! :D

da kids don't think blueray is niche, they think it's up to date and the muts nuts, same as with the ps3. They maybe just can't afford it yet. but they want one.....oh yes :devil:

p.s. I might be wrong here but when are the download speeds going to be fast enought for hd downloading? I can't update my ps3 in under 30 mins!

p.p.s. What a great thread!

I'm not one of those geeks like in Superbad I'll have you know I'm a 6' distinguished gent with a gsoh. :rotfl:

My brother in law was bought a ps3 bundle for christmas by his better half.
He admited to me that he had never thought about buying a bluray player before then but after watching a bluray film from his bundle said he would never buy a dvd again,blu from now on.As for movie downloads being the norm i reckon we are years away from them,or until the majority of people have fast unlimited broadband.

p.s. I might be wrong here but when are the download speeds going to be fast enought for hd downloading? I can't update my ps3 in under 30 mins!

Gonna be a good few years in the UK. It's gonna cost a LOT of money to upgrade our old copper wires and like the railways, this government will likely put it off, take shortcuts and end up spending more than it would have to have done it properly. (Apologies, too much Private Eye for me lately.) We're already some way behind Germany and Japan (and others I'm sure.)

Still a big price difference for some BR and DVDs, Cloverfield is £2.98 for the one disc on Amazon while the BR will set you back £15.98!

I think sometimes we think that you need to be some geek with instruments to measure picture quality, black level etc. to appreciate Blu Ray.

Well no you don't, you just need a set of eyes and an HDTV. If you have those then it looks much better than DVD. Anyone can appreciate than and it's a bit arrogant to assume that folk who don't live AV like we do, just don't care.

Gonna be a good few years in the UK. It's gonna cost a LOT of money to upgrade our old copper wires and like the railways, this government will likely put it off, take shortcuts and end up spending more than it would have to have done it properly. (Apologies, too much Private Eye for me lately.) We're already some way behind Germany and Japan (and others I'm sure.)

Still a big price difference for some BR and DVDs, Cloverfield is £2.98 for the one disc on Amazon while the BR will set you back £15.98!

That's what I think, we need the stopgap. There might be another (popular) disk format after blueray for all we know.

I wouldn't buy cloverfield for £16 on blueray, but , It's a lot cheaper than it was and it'll come down more. The fact that DVD's are so cheap now has got to imply at least on some level that blueray is going to become a major format.

Similarily, I wouldn't have considered getting transformers on anything but blueray and it's definately worth it. I've bought lots of DVD's this crimbo and a few bluerays, they both play in my ps3 so I can't really see the problem :)

True, but the gap is definately closing with many Blu Rays available for £10 over the festive period and plenty in deals as well. It's economies of scale though and costs won't reduce to DVD levels until sales are comparative. We saw the same with VHS though where the VHS versions of new films came out at around £6.99 with the DVD versions at £12.99, £15.99 etc.

That's what I think, we need the stopgap. There might be another (popular) disk format after blueray for all we know.

I wouldn't buy cloverfield for £16 on blueray, but , It's a lot cheaper than it was and it'll come down more. The fact that DVD's are so cheap now has got to imply at least on some level that blueray is going to become a major format.

Similarily, I wouldn't have considered getting transformers on anything but blueray and it's definately worth it. I've bought lots of DVD's this crimbo and a few bluerays, they both play in my ps3 so I can't really see the problem :)

Can't say i've bought anything on DVD for ages now. It must be a getting on for 9-12 months since I bought a DVD. Actually I tell a lie, bought Firefly box set the other day for £7.97 and Alias season 1 about 6 months ago, but no films. Bought loads of HDDVD's though and my Blu Ray purchases have picked up as well of late.

Going to have 95% disagree there :thumbsup:

Consumers buy what they want (or what they think they want), with their money...whilst HD-DVD was killed off by corporations and not consumers,it'll be suicide for them to try to do the same to DVD IMO.

What you're forgetting Lee is that consumers do not control what they buy, .

I only have 2.5 Mb download and I can download a single layer DVD (in theory of course :) ) in about 5 hours.

p.p.s. What a great thread!

Going to have 95% disagree there :thumbsup:

Consumers buy what they want (or what they think they want), with their money...whilst HD-DVD was killed off by corporations and not consumers,it'll be suicide for them to try to do the same to DVD IMO.

You can't buy DVD's if they are phased out. Go and buy The Dark Knight on VHS if you like, but you may struggle. :)

If you think that consumers control what they buy then you're sadly mistaken. Blu Ray will be heavily marketed and then DVD will be gradually phased out the way VHS was.

Just out of interest. I have some questions :)

1. Does anyone know how long currently it takes to download the equivalent of a blueray on an average connection (assumes over a bt line).

2. Is it possible for a lot of people to do this at the same time?

My point is..."don't **** off the consumers".

Whilst nearly everyone saw the benefit of DVD over VHS and didn't need to upgrade to get these benefits picture wise, it still took time...take away DVD and effectively force people to upgrade all their TV's (little Jonnys play room, the bedroom, kids rooms etc) to enjoy the latest flicks would be "not popular" and counter productive IMO.

You can't buy DVD's if they are phased out. Go and buy The Dark Knight on VHS if you like, but you may struggle. :)

If you think that consumers control what they buy then you're sadly mistaken. Blu Ray will be heavily marketed and then DVD will be gradually phased out the way VHS was.

1) Depends on your connection :)

2) Oh yes!

Just out of interest. I have some questions :)

1. Does anyone know how long currently it takes to download the equivalent of a blueray on an average connection (assumes over a bt line).

2. Is it possible for a lot of people to do this at the same time?

We now live in the "internet age" where people can whinge on mass and can swap service providers by a click....do you think windows XP would have been given a lifeline 5 - 10 years ago?..people can now add their collective voices and the companies listen (if begrudgingly)...the consumer has never been in such control - ever!

Force a product on the masses nowadays and the consumer is more likely to buy a dodgey copy off the market or download, especially if they can't see the point.

DVD has massive market penetration, the notion that it would be phased out in order to shift people to Blu Ray when there was still a viable DVD market is quite simply nonsensical fanboy fantasy.

VHS was phased out after DVD had taken over. The game was up for it and devoting physical stock to DVD was a much more profitable idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom