PS3 IR Remotes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Uridium, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I'm thinking about picking up one of the cheap PS3 IR remotes so i can use the IR Dongle with my Harmony 885.

I know the IR2BT type devices are better but they are also way more expensive..

So is it safe to assume that the IR Dongle that comes with any of the PS3 IR remotes is pretty standard? surely it's just a generic IR receiver isn't it?

There are many cheapo remotes on Ebay and the like for a fiver or so..... I'm just wondering if i go for any one of these can i then just use the dongle and add it as one of the PS3 IR remotes that is already in the Logitech databse (Pelican PL6350 for example)?

2. kdc

kdc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I used the pelican one with my harmony and I have to say it was terrible. the controls were intermittant and often didnt do what they were supposed or took an age to actually register the command.

I know its an extra remote but its worth just buying the official bluetooth one, at least you will be able to turn the PS3 on and off via the remote that way!

3. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Did you play with the timings of the Pelican in the Harmony setup? I guess i really just want to know if anyone has tried one of the cheapo generic remotes from Ebay using a different DB code with the Logitech software.

I already have an offical Sony BT remote, turning off isn't a problem as you can do this from the XMB now and tapping the power on button on the front of the PS3 isn't really an issue for me.

I just want to get it working with my Harmony without shelling out for a pricey IR2BT device.

4. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I've been using a Pelican with a Harmony and a Pronto for about a year now. Very occasionally it will refuse to accept a command for a minute or so. Reseating the dongle fixes it, or leave it alone and it'll start working again.

Apart from these lockups, it works fine.