PS3: Internet Connection Test

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Waynej, May 2, 2007.

1. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I thought everything was fine but I saw the option to test internet connection sot hought what the heck, these are the results below:

Obtain IP Address: Succeeded
    Internet Connection: Succeeded
    PLAYSTATION Network: Succeeded
    UPnP: Not Available
    NAT Type: Type 3

I'm not sure what all that means but I remember having a similar NAT problem with the 360 about a year ago, I now have that up and running fine (the 360).

I am assuming UPnP should display a different message then that above and I assume NAT Type should be Open or Type 1?

My router is the wired version of the Netgear DG834, any advice welcome.

:thumbsup:

2. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I just did a little test of my own which I think indicates that perhaps the problem is with the PS3 and not my router settings. I disconnected the Network cable from my 360 and plugged it straight into my PS3 and I get the same message as above.

I never did setup the network settings on the PS3, they just worked - does the PS3 settings need a tinker or have I missed something and it may still be my router?

3. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    You need to make sure some ports are open on the router for the PS3 to get NAT type 2 (NAT type 1 is no nat and unless you have multiple IPs from your ISP you won't be using that one).

It only really matters for headset use (maybe hosting games.. not sure on that one) - if you're not using one it'll probably work anyway.

Nice guide here: http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/support/ps3/index.html

Basically you can ignore the outbound only stuff - most routers come configured to allow anything outbound by default anyway - and forward the inbound to the ps3. The article says you don't need to port forward but I have no idea why it says that).

4. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Thanks I'll try that. I just had my first online ranked match on Resisance and I got 2 kills then got a back screen saying something about a connection error and that I have been signed out of the playstation network. Does that indicate to the NAT problem or does that just mean the host quit the game?

EDIT: oh nevermind I went to play online again and had to re-sign in so somethings up. Hopefully the thing u posted can help, cheers again.

5. Darsh

Darsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Mate i think i had the same problem as you and how i fixed it was by calling up Sony first and they told me what specific ports that i needed opened on my router then they told me to call Netgear and ask them to add them into the smartwizard so i did. After that was done i rang Sony again and this time they said we need your DMZ to be applied outside the DHCP range and that they also required your router's ip address.

So i then called back Netgear who took me through the steps i needed and gave me my DMZ number and ip address for Sony to have. Finally i got in touch with Sony seemed like this went on forever anyways they then told me what settings to put in the network settings and after the first test which it failed they suggested i try wired connection which i done and it worked i was able to stay on the Playstation Network :) hope this helps you mate good luck :smashin:

6. breadmaker6

breadmaker6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +735
    I have to say there is definately a difference in wireless and wired IMO.

The wireless on the PS3 is poor. My old IBM laptop with its built in basic B Network wireless works better than the PS3. :rolleyes:

I have resorted to buying Homeplugs and using wired, much better. :smashin:

7. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Seems a lot of people have the same view. For me it's fine but then that's probably because my PS3 is less then two meters away from my router. Having said that since it is so close I think I will probably switch from wireless to wired.

8. Darsh

Darsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The real problem with using a wireless connection is that so many things can go wrong where as with a wired connection you have a stable running connection. Majority of users i say are using the wired over wireless.

9. breadmaker6

breadmaker6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +735
    I agree with regard to the PS3...but how hard can it be to get right. I have an old 'b' network connection with my laptop and it manages to do everything I want it to do, including wireless printing etc.

You would think that since this machine is marketed as a Hub they would make it capable of being so.

10. M1keF

M1keF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    port forwarding the relevant ports will get you to Nat 2 (which is all you need)

11. jasinski

jasinski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    so many people on here have said this. i have had not one problem with wireless. always 95-100% signal. its been rock solid for me :D

12. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Just got the time to have a read through that link you posted now and had a wuick go... I don;t find my routers settings completely straight forward to manipulate as it doesn;t appear to allow me to enter the ports manually - I have to choose from a long list. I have got it set to NAT TYpe 2 now, basically from the list I noticed an option called something like "(Any) Allow all" so I went for this and inputted my PS3's IP. I assume this should do the trick fine... hopefully I don't have to worry about viruses and things with the PS3's web broswer.

I also noticed on my routers settings an option for UPnP, but I could not find a way to alter this so it is still show as "Not Available" (UPnP) on the PS3 Internet Connection Test.

Will this make a difference, what is UPnP and how will it benefit my online experience with PS3?

13. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    UPNP means you don't have to open any ports (theoretically) at the cost of a degree of network security (any app within your network can punch random holes in your firewall). The PS3 UPNP appears to be bugged and only works with a few implementations though.

14. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    So UPnP is reported as not available on the PS3 test whilst my Nat Type is 2 - so is everything fine and as it should be now... hopefully no more disconnections and hopefully I can hear people.