PS3 Interface demo & browser query

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taken from 1up.com...

The interface is very much like the one you'll currently find on PSP but more refined, polished and updated.

First off, photos. Xbox 360 allows for a slideshow gallery accompanied by music, but PS3's is a little more ambitious, allowing you to manipulate the pictures in a variety of ways (similar to Wii's approach). For example, one of the filters made the images appear as though they were printed on paper. Mr. Sam Kennedy was in attendance during the presentation, describing the filter as "pretty slick." You're pretty slick yourself, Sam-o.

Also included is a music player with a generic light show playing over. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward. More interesting was the web browser (which, unlike Nintendo's version of Opera, appears to be free) demonstration, where Harrison opened multiple windows -- in this case, the PlayStation.com home page, Google and a few others -- and flipped through them in a tab-like fashion (think tabbed AIM windows) very quickly.

1UP cornered Harrison afterwards to find out when we'd see the final version of the interface, a question he quickly dodged, saying the interface would never be finalized, as they plan on continuing to update and evolve the design and features throughout PS3's lifetime.

Video here http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/6358

So they were demoing the ps3 interface at TGS, it all looks very slick indeed and its nice to see the PS3 in action.My question is this, with the PS3 (and the Wii for that matter) having browsers built in which seem capable of accessing the "open" internet (i.e go to any site you like), how does this bode for security, spyware, pop ups etc.

Id imagine that that this is part of the reason for MS keeping live a "closed" system (among other more monopolistic reasons). Surely sony have thought of this aspect of the internet, as soon as its in the wild id imagine some Xbox "fanboy" has the knowledge and motivation to create and implement some sort of PS3 virus.

Or maybe im just pessimistic i dunno. I just know before i lay down my cash im gonna wanna know this sort of thing, and being as though nothing has been said about it is it even a possibilty?

I would never browse the internet on a console I guarantee a PS3 virus will be around within 4 weeks of it releasing. Microsoft did the right thing not including a browser on the 360 IMHO.

I would never browse the internet on a console I guarantee a PS3 virus will be around within 4 weeks of it releasing. Microsoft did the right thing not including a browser on the 360 IMHO.

well I don't think a virus for the PSP has been released yet

nb - I mean a virus that comes from a site, and not the type that makes you think its a homebrew app (ones like which can be done on any console that has homebrew apps for it).

If I remember rightly though, isn't that just a virus which is hiding as a homebrew app? If so, something like that could run on any console which has been hacked to run homebrew. If so, given time, something like that could be made for the 360 aswell (if they manage to get non-signed apps running on the 360)

edit - and to be fair to sony, you can't expect them to support something thats the users fault

As I suspected, the virus hides itself as a downgrader, and sony have already said they will not support anyone who tries to downgrade or run homebrew on the PSP, so really, it would be the owner who took the risk of trying to downgrade, so why should sony be respnsible? Especially when sony have specifically said they won't support anyone who runs unsupported apps on the PSP.

Granted, other companies may well have replaced the PSP's, but in the end, if someone gets unsigned code working on a 360, and someone releases an app which "bricks" your 360, I dount MS will replace the 360.

Of course but the fact is that people will be downlading material from the net onto their PS3's so this kind of thing is going to happen quite a lot.

Dont get me wrong of course it could happen to the xbox360, although im not sure how, I just think that if you stop people from browsing then it takes away most of the threat.

Of course but the fact is that people will be downlading material from the net onto their PS3's so this kind of thing is going to happen quite a lot.

Dont get me wrong of course it could happen to the xbox360, although im not sure how, I just think that if you stop people from browsing then it takes away most of the threat.

It's a hard thing to balance really isn't it?
Giving users features and functions so the console can do more, but also stopping people taking advantage of this, and making virus's for it.

I dunno, on one hand, I think the idea of having a web browser in a console is brilliant, and it will let me just do little things like check email etc, but then you get the obvious problems with making the system a little more open.

Yeah its not an easy balance, I suppose time will tell with it I just get the distinct feeling that the PS3 is a great target for anyone whos that way inclined and coupled with Sony's lack of experience in this field (which to be fair MS have lots of experience with) could be a recipe for disaster.

At the end of the day it would have been easy for MS to update the 360 with a copy of Internet Explorer and they havent done it for a pretty good reason, jesus imagine the hassle they would get it someone did seed a succesful virus which brought down a large number of consoles.......

I personally would never browse the web with a console as my PCs are running 24/7 and are in the places were I need to have internet access. As for making my photos 'look like they are on paper'.....that makes the £425 asking price seem much better value :rolleyes: :suicide:

Every time sony leek a bit more info on the PS3 I hate them and it even more to the point were I am now embarrassed. Photo manipulation??? come on...this is a GAMES CONSOLE for chists sake!!!!!

4 weeks.........!

4 Hours more like.

It's a hard thing to balance really isn't it?
Giving users features and functions so the console can do more, but also stopping people taking advantage of this, and making virus's for it.

I dunno, on one hand, I think the idea of having a web browser in a console is brilliant, and it will let me just do little things like check email etc, but then you get the obvious problems with making the system a little more open.

If theres one thing ive learnt working in IT is give "joe public" some freedom and they will undoubtedly exploit and break it, mainly not through any fault of thier own simply through lack of knowledge and curiosity.

On the subject of web browsing, i have no need for a browser in my console, i have many other devices better suited to that function, that goes for photo viewing too, although i did dig the whole your photos on the table thing even if it was a bit gimmicky.

I wonder who Sony have got doing their PR for them. They seem to be making a real mess of things with what could be a great product. Sony PR seems to be letting potentially false negatives affect their product.

Mind you, if Sony were smart they would have wrapped the console in (figurative) cotton wool and learned from the mistakes Microsoft made with Windows XP pre SP2 - you can just see the BBC and Guardian headlines when something (a trojan, virus, etc) is made to look like a Sony approved modification and loads of PS3's break. Try explaining to little Johnny's father that his ten year old son just broke the new PS3 by surfing the web and Sony don't want to know.

Sony really need a kick up the bum. They should be promoting safe surfing and building in controls not features to their console.

and to be fair to sony, you can't expect them to support something thats the users fault

I agree

If I did download something that I shouldn't and it screwed up my system then I would try and get Sony to sort it, but if they didnt then it would only be my fault

Be interested to see if the new Opera browser that nintendo have made available for DS and Wii is going to be a potential security hole, or if there is permissions locking of some sort in place to stop malicious downloads. I know the DS version doesn't include flash, but who knows what's going to be available on the Wii version. This whole surfing the web from your console was tried and tested on the Dreamcast, it was pointless then, it's pointless now.

This whole surfing the web from your console was tried and tested on the Dreamcast, it was pointless then, it's pointless now.

Not in this day and age it's not. I'd find it quite a useful feature to be able to surf the web from my console. It's alot quicker and easier than having to get the PC started and do stuff to "load it up". It'd be far more convenient especially with a wireless keyboard.

Yes, I am lazy. That's why I moved from PC gaming to Console gaming. Living room comforts versus study room swivel chair. Living room wins hands down.

Just watched the video

why would one of your 1st demonstrations of ur New, powerful flagship console, a fully working PS3 concentrate on a slideshow function for pics and being able to browse the net with multiple windows open at once? :confused:

IMHO, Surley you would expect Sony to hit hard the gaming aspect of the console especially if the PS3 runs games at 1080p

Instead they appear to be happy to concentrate on some smaller functionality of a console which can browse the net as well. A breeding ground for Viruses and i agree with an early post, whats the point on a console:thumbsdow

In addition the early majority of people who are going to purchase the PS3 are surely already going to have a PC for the internet!

As for the pictures look like there on paper...hmmm iam off to max spielman, its cheaper and actually on paper!:rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom