• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 in DMZ = Nat Type 3 - a bad thing?

Kinetic Frenzy

Prominent Member
Hi

I've got a BT Home Hub and have just put the PS3 into DMZ in an attempt to prevent me from losing connection in BAP games on Fifa '09. However now that i have opened all ports i have a NAT type 3 :rolleyes:. Previously i had Nat type 2.

I'd been led to believe, mainly by Sony published games that a Nat type of 3 was undesirable as it could in itself lead to connection problems but if all my ports are open for the PS3 then how could i get connection problems?

And why the Nat 3?

Even though LBP warns about connection problems i haven't had any problems connecting to others or playing user created levels.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these questions. :thumbsup:

Kinetic Frenzy

Prominent Member
I've given it a go and style get Type 3 NAT, however as i said before logically i can't really be on NAT 3 as the ports required to be open to get a NAT 2 are open becuase they're ALL OPEN for the PS3!

I can still connect to the PSN Store with no difficulty and last night i managed to connect fine to other players and user content on LBP.

Kinetic Frenzy

Prominent Member
yep but the PS3 is saying it's unavailable hence the NAT 3. if i take the PS3 out of the DMZ then it says UPNP is available and i get a Nat 2 - but pointless if i can't then open ports successfully and get kicked from games.

As i say i'm yet to try my pS3 in DMZ with Fifa BAP which will be the real test though i suspect that if i still get kicked it will be due to EA's gash servers :hiya:

COOPERMAN

Prominent Member
yep but the PS3 is saying it's unavailable hence the NAT 3

Just to double check enable UPnP on your router and set UPnP to don't use on PS3 network settings.

I don't have FIFA 09 so can't check but had problems a while back with CoD4.
Put PS3 into DMZ and disabled UPnP on PS3, Haven't had any problems since.

I've got Tiger Woods 09 it's using EA's server's and don't have any problems with that :)

Last edited:

chrischris292

Standard Member
hey thanks for posting this thread by the way because i have the exact same problem
so if u disable UPNP doesnt that mean it will still be nat 3 though not nat 2?

chrischris292

Standard Member
so i just disabled upnp and tested playstation home, haze demo, and rock band and neither of them worked still
i can get into the playstation network but i cant play any games online

bajere

Established Member
i am having the same problem....cant play online, altho i did last week!:thumbsdow

silvercue

Distinguished Member
I seem to have similar problem - my settings have changed on their own!!

Now PS3 is showing as NAT Type 3. It was NAT Type 2 last time! Could an update have changed this somehow?

I have UPNP enabled on router but PS3 is saying it is unavalaible.

I also have set PS3 to a fixed IP address and set that as DMZ on the router.

The router is a wireless Netgear WGT624v3. Not the best I know, but should be ok.

I use Virgin cable.

I also have these ports forwarded:

3 PSN1 80 80 - 192.XXX.X.X
4 PSN2 443 443 - 192.XXX.X.X
5 PSN3 5223 5223 - 192.XXX.X.X
6 PSN4 3478 3478 - 192.XXX.X.X

I have real problems playing online with Mortal Kombat - only connects to some people.

Any advise would be greatefully received.
TiA
Silver

EDIT - Turned DMZ off and now shows as NAT Type 2 and UpNP is on.

OK - NAT Type 2 still does not allow me to play most players online on Mortal Kombat. constantly get error "Game is no longer available" - it appears like some sort of connection issue - similar to when people have NAT set at strict on 360, yet PS3 is setcorrectly!!!!????

Last edited:

bajere

Established Member
Now PS3 is showing as NAT Type 3. It was NAT Type 2 last time! Could an update have changed this somehow?

yes, i think we are having this problem due to HOME being made public...mine was fine since launch untill that day :(

Guys - have you updated the firmware on your routers?...if you haven't, do so :)

If you're going to put the PS3 in a DMZ...TURN OFF PORT FORWARDING, it can confuse the router.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Tried it both ways Lee - still struggles to play most people.

Really is poor tbh. I have NAT type 2 (now I have had to reset AGAIN!) and still cant play most people.

I am on a network that my laptop, pc and 360 download at 5 x the speed and I have tried other networks, routers etc and still PSN is a nightmare - as it is for so many people. I think PS3s just fail to work properly on many wireless set ups - even though the routers are compatible. Looks far more like the in built wireless on PS3s is rubbish.

Lagging so far behind XBOX LIVE in every department online.

Raymien

Novice Member
I've recently added my PS3 to my routers DMZ, but I left UPnP as 'enabled' on the PS3 as per this how to. I note its mentioned earlier in this thread that UPnP should be turned off? Why is this? Will it make any difference?

The connection test went okay with NAT at type 2.

I'm hoping this will allow me to connect to my friends lobbies in Call Of Duty World at War, as at the moment i'm having terrible problems...

I'm stumped bud- sorry I couldn't help :(

Tried it both ways Lee - still struggles to play most people.

Really is poor tbh. I have NAT type 2 (now I have had to reset AGAIN!) and still cant play most people.

I am on a network that my laptop, pc and 360 download at 5 x the speed and I have tried other networks, routers etc and still PSN is a nightmare - as it is for so many people. I think PS3s just fail to work properly on many wireless set ups - even though the routers are compatible. Looks far more like the in built wireless on PS3s is rubbish.

Lagging so far behind XBOX LIVE in every department online.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
this is really getting on my nerves now.

everytime I turn the PS3 on, I get a different network setting.

Now is shows as UPNP unavailable and NAT Type 3.

Yesterday it showed available and NAT Type 2.

Whast the hell is wrong with PS3 and wireless?

mickus66

Prominent Member
this is really getting on my nerves now.

everytime I turn the PS3 on, I get a different network setting.

Now is shows as UPNP unavailable and NAT Type 3.

Yesterday it showed available and NAT Type 2.

Whast the hell is wrong with PS3 and wireless?

I noticed in your earlier post that you only had ports 80, 443, 3478 & 5223 forwarded.

You also need 3479 & 3658 too for PSN.

Not sure if your seen this (and I'm sorry if it goes over the stuff you already know) - but it might help:

Port Forwarding for the Netgear WGT624v3

Good luck!

ThuGLy

Prominent Member
ok guys new to this but ill give it a go anyway,

heres wat i heard

nat3 connected via router but not correctly
nat2 connected via router correctly
nat1 connected directly to the net i.e no router

me personaly i have ps3 to router with ethernet cable iv had it wireless aswell and got nat2 both times. if aboves right nat 1 and 2 are good for online, i have upnp enabled and availible and dont have any trouble if i had probs like you guys id proberly do a factory reset on my router turn off port forawding and dmz you shouldnt need it. also your router needs to handle upnp most new ones do so you might need to buy a new one.

hope this helps:thumbsup:

stormy

Prominent Member
Hi,

Sorry to jump in but I have an odd problem with mine too, my PS3 is connected wirelessly to my Netgear DG834N and while I don't seem to have PSN problems gaming is another matter (random disconnections mid-game on Resistance 2 being the main fault).

My PS3 on a connection test gives:

uPnP : Not Available
NAT: Type 2

Even though I have uPnP enabled on the router? Any ideas why the PS3 is reporting uPnP as not availble?

Cheers,

ThuGLy

Prominent Member
Hi,

Sorry to jump in but I have an odd problem with mine too, my PS3 is connected wirelessly to my Netgear DG834N and while I don't seem to have PSN problems gaming is another matter (random disconnections mid-game on Resistance 2 being the main fault).

Even though I have uPnP enabled on the router? Any ideas why the PS3 is reporting uPnP as not availble?

Cheers,

you posted on another thread you had upnp disabled on vista you could try and switch it on. also iv had a quick look and there are some firmware updates available for your router, if your confident in doing it you could try tht.

DG834N Firmware Version 1.02.08

read through it though im not 100percent thts the right one as i dont use or have knowledge of this router. from what ive seen this router does have a problem with upnp:thumbsup:

Robothamster

Distinguished Member

Cheers,
Mine is the same, but I've read elsewhere that although your router setting may say it's enabled it could be something further up the line that affects this and you might need to speak to you ISP directly to see if they can switch something at their end to enable it fully.

In my case it hasn't caused me any problems so I've left it how it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom