PS3 + HTSS1300 + KDL40W4500 = what cabling?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by apocrypha, Jan 29, 2009.

1. apocrypha

apocrypha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Sorry if this is the kind of question that gets repeatedly asked but after spending some time looking through these forums I am no less confused than I was before I started.

I've got a PS3, an HTSS1300 and a Bravia KDL40W4500 and I want to connect them all in the best way. My primary concerns are the best quality sound with this setup using the PS3 as a BD player. We hardly ever watch broadcast TV and have no plans to get SkyHD or anything like that.

What are the pros & cons of HDMI vs TOSlink optical cables?

The PS3 only has 1 HDMI port but the HTSS1300 has an HDMI output port too - will the HTSS1300 act as a pass-through for the PS3 video signal this way or am I dreaming?

I'm very confused about all this and would greatly appreciate any advice before I go out and buy cables! Many thanks for any answers :)

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Yes, the system will pass the video through to the TV. So get two HDMI cables; one to connect the PS3 to the surround system, and the other to connect that on to the TV.

HDMI will transmit mulit-channel, uncompressed linear PCM audio from the PS3 whereas optical can't. This system doesn't support decoding of the new HD formats you get on Blu-ray, but as it accepts this multichannel PCM signal you can still get HD audio anyway - it just means the decoding of the signal happens within the player as opposed to the amp. In fact the PS3 can't send out undecoded HD audio anyway (called 'bitsream out') so you'd have to use this setup even if you're amp did decode Dolby/dts HD soundtracks.

The only drawback of using HDMI is that you need the amp on all the time when using your PS3. If you did go for optical, you could leave it off (say late at night) and revert to the TV speakers.

3. apocrypha

apocrypha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic, thankyou very much StevieBuck!

A nice, simple and cheap solution, awesome :thumbsup: