ps3 home theatre setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Swervy

I havent got a ps3 yet but am getting one at the end of this year. I want to know do I need to hook the ps3 HDMI cable to the LCD HD tv for the picture and a ps3 optical cable from the ps3 to the home theatre system for 5.1 surround sound? Also I cant buy a new home theatre system with optical because it doesnt have it and the one I am getting only has HDMI on it .

StevieBuck

With a home cinema system which just has an optical input, you'd have:

PS3 --HDMI--> TV
PS3 --Optical--> Home Cinema

If you have a home cinema system which can handle audio over HDMI, then you'd have:

PS3 --HDMI--> Home Cinema
Home Cinema --HDMI--> TV

I didn't quite understand that last sentence you wrote. Do you already have a home cinema system or not?

You seem to be planning pretty far ahead then if you're not getting the PS3 until the end of the year?

S

Swervy

I have a home theatre system already with only Component and AUX IN and an antenna area for AM and FM and it is a LG DVD receiver with speakers. It doesnt have HDMI to get the full surround sound and video. It also doesnt have an optical or DTS in it. Does it need DTS or can I use it without it for 5.1 surround sound. I thought the HDMI cable sends out both HD picture and 5.1 surround sound. Why do I need optical then?

StevieBuck

Does it need DTS or can I use it without it for 5.1 surround sound.
If you have a home theater system which doesn't decode DTS audio, then you can't listen to DTS soundtracks which are found on some DVDs and Blu-rays. You should still be able to listen to 5.1 Dolby Digital.

I thought the HDMI cable sends out both HD picture and 5.1 surround sound.
Yes, HDMI can be used to output HD video and 5.1 audio.

Why do I need optical then?
I'm not saying you need an optical connection. The PS3 can output 5.1 audio over HDMI and optical, so you can use either of these, not just optical.

What I tried to explain in my previous post is that you need a home theatre system with an HDMI input to get 5.1 audio from a PS3 via HDMI. Most home theatre kits only have 1 HDMI connection, which are only an output connection. These are only used to connect the system to your TV so you can watch DVDs with the built-in DVD player. Just because the system has an HDMI connection, it doesn't automatically mean you can use it for 5.1 audio!

If you give me the model number of the sound sytem which you're getting, I could probably look it up online and tell you straight away if it will give you surround sound from the PS3.

S

Swervy

Is the sound still alright with the dvds and blu rays without DTS? Also what is the difference with and without it does it sound the same?

StevieBuck

DTS has a higher bitrate than Dolby Digital, and tends to sound better. The standard 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack will still sound OK though.

DVDs use standard DTS and Dolby Digital, but Blu-rays use newer HD formats - Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. These are both 'lossless' audio formats, and both sound more or less the same. You will not get HD audio unless you have a surround system which handle HD audio over HDMI.

S

Swervy

The model number for the one I think I might by is HT-Z221 and it is a Samsung home theatre system and it costs $299 from Dick Smiths. Online at Dick Smiths where this is it does not say DTS but does it have it or do only blu ray home theatre systems have DTS only? Which would cost more than the one I want.

Last edited by a moderator:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
that model will do DTS 5.1 and DD5.1 over optical, from the ps3.

S

Swervy

Thanks now tell me the steps on how to hook it up to the PS3 and tv.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
PS3 --> HDMI --> TV (for video)
PS3 --> Optical --> HT-Z221 (for audio)

You can also connect the HT-Z221 to your TV via HDMI if you want, but there's really no point as you might aswell use the PS3 for all BluRay and DVD duties

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
S

Swervy

I just found out that my 5.1 home theatre suround sound system does have the letters dts on top of the system does that mean it will play my ps3 blu-rays and dvds in it with dts surround sound combatible discs? So all I have to do is connect my ps3 with a HDMI cable to my LCD HD tv and an RCA red and white cables from ps3 to home theatre system?

S

Swervy

my home theatre system also has an am fm antenna areas on the back. With another $300 Panasonic 5.1 home theatre system I thought about getting that has HDMI input and optical input on it does it have dts the model number is SC-PT170. And I live in Australia and am buying it from Dick Smiths dse.com.au.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
my home theatre system also has an am fm antenna areas on the back. With another $300 Panasonic 5.1 home theatre system I thought about getting that has HDMI input and optical input on it does it have dts the model number is SC-PT170. And I live in Australia and am buying it from Dick Smiths dse.com.au.
no, thats wrong..the PT170, only has an hdmi "OUT", for connection to the tv, to watch dvd's from the surrounds dvd drive.
and it has 1 optical in...but in most cases, will only give stereo from the ps3, with any movie that is in DTS.

you WILL get DTS5.1 watching a dvd on the PT170's dvd drive though.

panasonic systems are fundamentaly crippled in so much that they do DD5.1 over optical no problem, but have no support for DTS5.1 over optical, so all you get is silence, or sterero only.

S

Swervy

well I have a LG 5.1 home theatre system model number is HT303SU which has component x1, aux input x1, no optical or HDMI I bought it last November and it has DTS in it and an am fm antenna areas on the back. It cost me $300. What are the steps please how to hook it up to a ps3 to get 5.1 surround sound and HD video with the ps3 through the tv? It has been very confusing to understand for me I get confused quite alot with all this new technology so :lease: help me!!! understand in a non technical way.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
with that system...you cant get 5.1 with the ps3, plain and simple.
no point in sugar coating it, its never going to happen.

what you have there is an entry level system thats designed to do no more than play movies on its own drive.

as for HD visuals for the ps3, simply connect the ps3 to the tv with hdmi, and carry out the video settings adjustment, to pick acceptable resolutions that your tv can handle.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Doubly cheeky in fact, seeing as how I already explained the connections in my first reply!

:confused:
I suppose the best advice now, for the OP is see what model you want, check it out on the manufacturer's website, maybe even look for a retailer like amazon or another, with reviews for aforementioned new surround, then pop back to the manufacturer's site, see if there is a manual to download, for the model you want, then :rtfm:

or pop over to the All in One Systems forum and see whats what, there.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I'm very confused now. Stevie has explained it once, I have also explained it, and the OP still doesn't get it, coupled with I now can't work out what system he has as every post he says the system he has and each has a different part number!

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
I'm very confused now. Stevie has explained it once, I have also explained it, and the OP still doesn't get it, coupled with I now can't work out what system he has as every post he says the system he has and each has a different part number!

I think, he has a LG HT303SU, which wont do anything.
the first one he thought about buying was a Samdung HT-Z221, but he went off that idea, and then he spotted a Panasonic SC-PT170.

another bit of advice to the OP would be to try dtvforum Australia, maybe they would be better suited to [-]understand[/-] help, the OP.

hippo99

Distinguished Member

Still, at least you've finally managed to get him to use the magic word once:rotfl:

What are the steps please how to hook it up to a ps3 to get 5.1 surround sound and HD video with the ps3 through the tv?

cols

Novice Member
S

Swervy

I am getting a Samsung Blu-ray 5.1 home theatre system model number BD-1250 from Dick Smiths online Australia and it has DTD MA and Dolby Tru HD and everthing is this the right one to get? How do I hook up the ps3 with it and the tv?

cols

Novice Member
with that system you'll get hd audio from blu rays played on the built-in blu ray player, and you'll get dd and dts from ps3 via an optical cable to the amp.

your connections would be;

ps3 > hdmi > tv
ps3 > optical > samsung
samsung > hdmi > tv

:smashin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett