PS3 HELP! HDMI and Ethernet Issue

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by TGAM, Sep 2, 2012.

1. TGAM

TGAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Wondering if any can help me as I fear the worst right now. I went to go on my Playstation 3 and noticed I was getting no signal via the HDMI lead. I have tried all the usual options of resetting the console and have even wiped my whole drive clean but nothing has worked. I know the HDMI port on the TV is fine as well as the HDMI lead. I have tried the PS3 on another TV and it still won't work (Previously worked on both). I have also just noticed that the Ethernet port on it is not working.

One thing I can say which may be related is that we had a really bad Thunder Storm in my area this week and I think Lightning struck some of the electrics round here as my Internet messed up, one of my neighbours round the corner his PC and PS3 messed up too and another neighbour also said their Sky messed up and phone.....

Any ideas what I can do? I'm definitely the open it up and try fix it person. But any clues as to where to start would be a great help?

2. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,443
    Does your PS3 still give a picture using the standard AV lead?

3. TGAM

TGAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the PS3 works fine with the composite cable. No problem loading, no problem playing games. The Internet also works fine on a wireless connection but it will not recognise an Ethernet cable and no signal from HDMI. When I initially turn it on after a restart with the composite cable it tells me it has detected HDMI but when trying to switch to HDMI it doesn't work......

4. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,443
    As everything else seems to work fine, I'd say that the lightning storm didn't cause the problem as then games wouldn't work as there are far more sensitive components on the motherboard.

When you say resetting the console, do you mean you did the resetting display settings shortcut (ie keeping your finger on the power button for 5 secs & release when you hear the 2nd beep)- this resets your display setting. You HAVE to do this everytime you switch between HDMI & other cable types.

As it still plays games etc & other than the HDMI port not working, I'm not sure opening it up would be the best thing as you might end up with a non working machine if not careful.
    As the AV port seems to be working fine, you could consider getting a component lead which will still give you 1080p for games (as long as your TV has component inputs of course).
    PS3™ | Video Output Settings

5. TGAM

TGAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it is not only the HDMI that has gone down as the Ethernet Port has also stopped working. I am pretty certain it is the Lightning Storm that has done this as my neighbours PC, PS3 and Phone Line all broke when it happened also.

I feel confidant to open it up as I fixed the YLOD a few times on my old PS3. But I know right now I will not know what I am looking for regarding the HDMI and Ethernet port issue.

What kind of Component Lead would give a nice 1080p picture from the Slim PS3? I have an old Samsung LCD 26R74BDX TV.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  6. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,443
    Your TV is only 720p so you won't be able to display 1080p. As its a smaller screen, you won't be able to tell any difference between using component or HDMI (even on large screens it's hard to tell).

Well shopto have the Official PS3 component cable for £17
    Official Sony Component AV cable PS3 - Sony Playstation 3 - ShopTo.Net
    This will obviously be good, but there are also cheaper 3rd party ones they would work just as well (I don't know any specific good ones though as I use HDMI).
    Maybe check on ebay & check the seller feedback- people will often say in the feedback if the cables they've bought work well or were rubbish :smashin:

7. TGAM

TGAM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Hippo. I have ordered a componant cable as that will be the last resort for me. No point buying another console now with PS4 and 720 round the corner. I hope my wireless connection will be ok for online gaming!