PS3 & HDTV

flukeskywalker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Now that the PS3 has been announced and it supports 1080p and has a HDMI connection, what requirements must a suitable LCD TV have in order to view all this in full?

I have a recently purchased samsung LE32A41BX which I was led to believe was HD ready, but it only has a DVI connection. After a quick search I can see DVI to HDMI connectors, will that affect the picture quality?

Can my Samsung support 1080p? or even 1080i?

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

A display device has to cover the following requirements to be awarded the label "HD ready":

1. Display, display engine - The minimum native resolution of the display (e.g. LCD, PDP) or display engine (e.g. DLP) is 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio.

2. Video Interfaces
* The display device accepts HD input via: Analogue YPbPr1; and DVI or HDMI

* HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats: 1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz progressive ("720p"), and 1920x1080 @ 50 and 60Hz interlaced ("1080i")

* The DVI or HDMI input supports content protection (HDCP).

flukeskywalker, a HDMI to DVI connector doesnt affect picture quality at all, however you will loose sound. HDMI carrys sound (up to 5.1), however DVI doesnt.

Im pretty sure you should be ok in terms of your current screen. I dont have HDMI, just DVI and component inputs and Im pretty confident the PS3 will hook up and display 1080i..

flukeskywalker said:
Now that the PS3 has been announced and it supports 1080p and has a HDMI connection, what requirements must a suitable LCD TV have in order to view all this in full?

I have a recently purchased samsung LE32A41BX which I was led to believe was HD ready, but it only has a DVI connection. After a quick search I can see DVI to HDMI connectors, will that affect the picture quality?

Can my Samsung support 1080p? or even 1080i?

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

To answer your question, no your tv cannot display 1080p. To do so, it would need a horizontal res of 1080p, while your Samsung only has 768. It should be able to display 1080i, however, it will have to scale the image to fit. As the tv only has 768 horizontal lines, 312 lines of the picture will have to be removed. My tv also has 768 lines, and I'm wondering whether I would be better off using a 720p60 mode for games. Ok, so you have to scale up 48 lines, but you'd have a progressive picture. Surely a 720p60 picture would look better even than a 1080i60 scaled to fit?

On the subjects of screen resolutions.....

If, as it looks likely, theres a need to display 720p/1080i/1080p material in the future (HD-DVD/BR/PS3/Xbox 360) I assume it will be better having a 1080 screen so you have 2 x native fits and 1 x upscaled for 720p rather than a 720 screen with only 1 x native fit and having to downscale 1080i/p?

BTW, what generally looks better, 720 upscaled on a 1080 screen or 1080 downscaled on a 720 screen?

i wouldn't worry about this right now, only very screens allow true 1080p pictures at the moment.

This Sharp being one of the few.

.... but doesn't that Sharp cost something stupid like £5,000 :eek:

Are there any sensibly priced PJ's that do 1080p? I was considering an upgrade to a 720p one but it now seems that we need higher.

CAS FAN said:
Are there any sensibly priced PJ's that do 1080p? I was considering an upgrade to a 720p one but it now seems that we need higher.

Not too clued up on pj’s, ask the sould in the PJ forum they should know.

However, I was looking at this a couple of months back and don’t think you’ll find one for less than £2k. :eek:

yeah I guess I could wait until early next year and hopefully there will be one for £1000 = £1500 kicking about then.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom