PS3 HDMI to PJ + component to plasma query

Ricky27

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi. i am now sold on the idea of a PS3 as the PCM HD audio will suit my set up, plus i like the odd game and will be using the blu ray side quite alot.

We are planning to get a plasma later in the year, but would like to connect the PS3 to the PJ via HDMI for bluray and HD audio, but at the same time connect via Component to the Plasma TV for games when we get it.

When watching blu ray/playing games through Component on the plasma, will the PS3 still output the decoded HD audio along the HDMI cable to the amp?

ALso, what resolutions does it support for games and movies over component?

Thanks all:thumbsup:

When watching blu ray/playing games through Component on the plasma, will the PS3 still output the decoded HD audio along the HDMI cable to the amp?

ALso, what resolutions does it support for games and movies over component?

Thanks all:thumbsup:

Hi Ricky27. :)
There's no component out as such,so an adaptor cable will have to be bought.So,you "could" use that for video and the HDMI for audio. :smashin:
You can only have one video "out" choice at a time,so you would have to switch settings in the PS3 menu.
Over component,games > 720p (1080i ?) and SD > 576p,BD > 1080i.
All the best.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'd rather use a decent HDMI splitter, personally.

Of course, depending on how much you're spending on your amplification, you might be able to get an AVR with dual HDMI outputs. These are becoming more and more common as people run setups with both a flat screen and a PJ.

and how much are proper HDMI splitters? More than a PS3?

You probably could spend more, but I don't think it's necessary. However, I'm not sure up to what point it is worth paying for them, to be honest. Might be a good idea to ask in another forum about that.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks, first one I have seen at a decent price. Hope it's compatibility is good. HDMI is much improved in this area however from a year or two ago.

would this require the 5v supply they mention? longest cable will be 10M to PJ,and about 2M to TV.

would this require the 5v supply they mention? longest cable will be 10M to PJ,and about 2M to TV.

Hi Ricky27. :)
I wouldn't have thought that would be needed. :smashin:
EDIT: See Nic's post. :D
All the best.

I suspect that it might! 1 in and 2 outs needs more juice than normal. 10m is looong distance so care will be needed both in the design of the HDMI system. This means this box, the matching long cable, and the receiving HDMI unit. This will all depend on the bandwidth used in the signal and things like pre emphasis used on the signal. The devil as always is in the detail.

I use a cable universe HDMI splitter to split the HDMI from my receiver to my LCD and PJ..

The one I have seems to have been replaced by this one now.. I presume it's still pretty similar.

The LCD is a 2m HDMI cable the PJ a 10M HDMI cable, It does use a 12V input to the splitter, but considering the number of sockets used one more is no problem :D

I find it is 'invisible' (in my setup) in terms of affecting PQ compared to a direct HDMI feed from the receiver and certainly since the Onkyo (swap-o-rama) upgrade has worked faultlessly. I can view the output on either display or both!! :devil:

I would recomend it, but I've not tried the Ebay one.. ;)

I use a cable universe HDMI splitter to split the HDMI from my receiver to my LCD and PJ..

The one I have seems to have been replaced by this one now.. I presume it's still pretty similar.

The LCD is a 2m HDMI cable the PJ a 10M HDMI cable, It does use a 12V input to the splitter, but considering the number of sockets used one more is no problem :D

I find it is 'invisible' (in my setup) in terms of affecting PQ compared to a direct HDMI feed from the receiver and certainly since the Onkyo (swap-o-rama) upgrade has worked faultlessly. I can view the output on either display or both!! :devil:

I would recomend it, but I've not tried the Ebay one.. ;)

Think i may go for this one as it seems as though it would be more robust with its power supply.

Thanks, so if i fed the PS3 into my denon 2307,plus my Hd E1 HD DVD, then took the output from the amp into this switch, then one output to the TV, and one to PJ, i would be abe to view my HD DVDs AND PS3 on both displays?

Would this also transfer the sound to the Plasma from both the E1 and PS3?

Think i may go for this one as it seems as though it would be more robust with its power supply.

Thanks, so if i fed the PS3 into my denon 2307,plus my Hd E1 HD DVD, then took the output from the amp into this switch, then one output to the TV, and one to PJ, i would be abe to view my HD DVDs AND PS3 on both displays?

Would this also transfer the sound to the Plasma from both the E1 and PS3?

Yep, presuming the Denon 2307 outputs all this fine by HDMI and there are no HDMI conflicts then yes it should all work fine, as it does in my set-up... as well as a few others I presume ;)

I'm not too sure baout sound as I never use the LCD for sound, I always use my amp as in most (if not all cases) you'll still need your receiver to be on for the HDMI to pass through anyhow.. But this spliter does state it'll transmit sound too, I guess perfectly acceptable sound for a stereo TV too. :thumbsup:

The only problem with this set-up IMO is that you can not set different outputs to suit different displays, so both your LCD and PJ will have to recieve the same signal... not a big problem, and I think only rectified by a new amp with 2 HDMI out's so not eactly a quick easy fix... as said this is just a minor problem IMO for most set-ups.

Yeah of course if we ever watch anything apart from freeview its through the amp so sounds ideal, plus HD E1 would always be set on 1080i, but then if its off i presume if i chose 720p on the PS3 at any time it would simply adjust to this, unless the TV being 768 and the PJ 720 would cause an issue? not that these would be on at same time however.

Yeah of course if we ever watch anything apart from freeview its through the amp so sounds ideal, plus HD E1 would always be set on 1080i, but then if its off i presume if i chose 720p on the PS3 at any time it would simply adjust to this, unless the TV being 768 and the PJ 720 would cause an issue? not that these would be on at same time however.

Not to sure about your receiver mate, but on mine I have set an output resolution and all inputs, HD and SD, interlaced and progressive are output at this same resolution.. :smashin: (there is of course a 'Thru' option to, that will ensure nothing is altered in anyway, just passed through, but I find I've got the best comprimise for all sources with the least messing using this method)

Just thought I'd mention it as it may become more of a problem if you have a 1080/24P PJ and a 768 LCD ;)

I currently have a 720 PJ and a 768 LCD, but have used the output that suits my PJ best as that my main 'quality' display... All sources are on or as close as I can get to native output, leaving my reciever to do any processing that may be required.. that's what works for me any how. :smashin:

My Denon 2307 just passes through whatever its given, but obviously takes the LPCM sound and amplifys it, but picture is left "as is".

My Denon 2307 just passes through whatever its given, but obviously takes the LPCM sound and amplifys it, but picture is left "as is".

Probably better.... :D saves a lot of fiddling with it!! :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom