PS3 HDMI signal glitch with S series Bravia help!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Pallaris, May 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Pallaris

Pallaris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have my PS3 hooked up to an S2530 series Bravia LCD via HDMI and every now and again (totally random somtimes hrs apart) there's a split second glitch in the form of a thin horizontal line (usually a lighter colour than the source - hence it shows up) that flashes up on screen.

I first noticed this watching a bluray disc and because it didn't happen again for a while I thought it could be a bug in the 1080i deinterlacing process. But I've since seen this happen on 720p feeds as well, the XMB, PSstore etc. I really have no idea what could be causing it. I did have some other processing issues via HDMI with some of the TV's advanced settings turned on but those were sorted out by turning those settings off.

Could this be an electricity surge? (I use surge protector 4 way adaptors though)..Only reason I mention electricity is because on my old CRT I used to get an odd screen flicker whenever switched on my table lamp. (i'm still not sure what caused that though)

Faulty HDMI lead perhaps? It was an ebuyer £2.99 job but tbh these cables are supposed to be pretty much the same all round..unless there's something i'm missing.

Has anyone else noticed strange HDMI glitches with their PS3 or can offer some insight here? It's a small thing really but it's doing my head in.

Cheers.

2. chrissyman

chrissyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i would say that cheap hdmi cable is worth changing for something better,
    try it i recently got a linx one from play.com for £12 reduced from £34

3. ImWatchingYou

ImWatchingYou
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone I finally found someone talking about this problem!

I have a 37" Sharp Aquos LCD 1080p with the 60gb PS3 model (newest 2.10 firmware). While recently playing Ratchet & Clank, and again while sitting at the XMB, I noticed this quick "horizontal bar" glitch. I've come to the conclusion it was either a power hiccup (although I've never noticed it before), an HDMI cable issue, or the PS3 itself.

Looking at the different in dates of these 3 posts, it clearly isn't system software, and I use an expensive surge protector which cleans "dirty power", as well as a high-end $80CDN hdmi cable.

Could it possibly just be a glitch in the PS3 itself as it outputs this digital signal? Let's face it, Sony quality has taken a hit in recent years.

Anyone else noticed this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. ps3glitch

ps3glitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, just to let you know;
    I had the same problem. Ps3 AND sat decoder plugged into a Sharp aquos fullHD panel.
    I had the exact same thing, now and then a very thin and farly short white horizontal line would flash accross the screen.
    I unplugged the power of the sat-decoder, problem gone.
    Not sure where to go from here, but at least I found the cause.

5. biggiegc

biggiegc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would tend to agree with Chrissyman here, try going for a better HDMI cable..it does make a difference..

6. ImWatchingYou

ImWatchingYou
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump

Anyone else noticed this "glitch" on their sets? Clearly it's happening on different units, so it's something to with the PS3 when utilizing HDMI as the output.