PS3 HDMI "Mode Not Supported" on Samsung Plasma

adamtw

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All :hiya:

I have a Samsung PS50Q97HD TV and last night my brother brought round his PS3 as I really wanted to see how good the HD part of this screen was, as I have just ordered Sky HD.

When we plugged the PS3 in via the HDMI cable the TV gives me a message on screen of "Mode Not Supported". However when we tried it on my LG plasma in my bedroom it worked first time.

As I've got Sky HD on the way I'm concerned that my main TV is not going to work with it. Has anyone come across the same issue and how do I fix it?

As we tried on a seperate TV and with different HDMI cables its clearly a TV issue, not a PS3 issue.

I've searched the forums but can't find any better advice than "it could be a bug with the handshake software" but then no word on how to fix it.

Please help! I don't want to hav to buy another TV! :lease:

Adam

It would seem after a quick google that tv is only 720p right?
My guess is that the ps3 is set to output at 1080p only which is why you get no picture when you plug it into your tv.
So what you need to do is plug it into the tv that it works with then go into the the display settings in the setting menu and go to the video output settings bit and make sure you have 720p ticked, save these settings and then plug it back into your tv and it should work.

EDIT: Also leave all the other options selected on the disaplay settings then it will pick the right one depending on what tv you plug it into.

Last edited:
Quicker way is, from standby press the power button on the front of the PS3, but keep your finger on it. The picture setting will now default back to SD 480 or 576.

Now go into the options & redo the Display auto set. Saves you having to mess around with cables :smashin:

Hi All :hiya:

I have a Samsung PS50Q97HD TV and last night my brother brought round his PS3 as I really wanted to see how good the HD part of this screen was, as I have just ordered Sky HD.

When we plugged the PS3 in via the HDMI cable the TV gives me a message on screen of "Mode Not Supported". However when we tried it on my LG plasma in my bedroom it worked first time.

As I've got Sky HD on the way I'm concerned that my main TV is not going to work with it. Has anyone come across the same issue and how do I fix it?

As we tried on a seperate TV and with different HDMI cables its clearly a TV issue, not a PS3 issue.

I've searched the forums but can't find any better advice than "it could be a bug with the handshake software" but then no word on how to fix it.

Please help! I don't want to hav to buy another TV! :lease:

Adam

Ive got a brand new Samsung and it happens with mine on occasion as well - Turn the telly off then back on again and it should work fine - I think its something to do with the connection between my amp and the PS3 and the telly - if I turn the setting on the amp over to PS3 before I turn the console on it works fine but if it turn it over after I turn the console on it comes up with mode not supported. A turn off of the telly and back on again and everything works. Not sure why it does it but its damn annoying.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom