PS3 HDMI issues

billhouse

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I just bought a new Sony Playstation 3 40gb. Connected the console up with the supplied AV cables. I then went and purchased a non-official HDMI cable from Blockbusters. I believe it was the Venom HDMI cable. Anyways I had the AV cable and the HDMI cable both plugged into the PS3 and the TV. I began the initial setup and after I chose the language it detected the HDMI and said if it should change the source. I pressed accept but then it went black so I continued the setup with the AV cable.

Once the setup was complete I went and changed the display settings to HDMI. This failed to work and whenever I chose HDMI I received a black screen on my TV with a no signal message popping up. This applied to the second HDMI port as well. I then decided to update the firmware to the latest 2.10, hoping it would rectify the situation.....which it didnt. Same message and now its really annoying me. :mad:

I had a problem with my past HDTV which was a Technosonic 32 inch. With that the HDMI would flicker and die due to handshake issues with the PS3 and other things. I then changed the TV for a LG 37 inch. Now im not getting a flicking screen. All I get is a black screen with no signal. So do you guys have any idea what may be the problem. I have tried holding the power button for 5 seconds on boot-up to restore the display settings but it dosent solve the problem. Could it be the cable, or is it the TV?

Thanks.
:)

I had the same problem, i'm just using a HD component cable now outputs 720p and 1080i so i'm happy with that

Ok. So I managed to test it on a 19 inch Technika HDTV via HDMI and with this one it came up with an option to enable HDMI. I chose yes and it displays in 1080i and 720p perfectly. So this rules out the cable being bad and it cant be the PS3 also. So it just leaves the TV. But whats strange is that just a month ago a PS3 connected with the very same HDMI cable worked fine. Strange.

nope, but i have tried used two different tvs. I kept getting flickering green screen was crazy

I dont get any flickering screen. I did used to get that with the Technosonic but with the LG all it is, is a black screen with a no signal message. Im really frustrated. I expected it to work straight away and I have tried nearly everything!

To be honest, i've only used it on Acoustic Solution televisions, but different models 19" and 26". With both i got the same result, I was able to use the HDMI feature before but one day i just kept getting that green flickering screen. I'll be getting another TV soon probably a well-known brand but i doubt the HDMI will work.

You should try and get PS3 replaced, if it is not imported or just purchase a HD component cable

£14.99 from Gamestation - i have this one works a treat, i get the same reception as i did with HDMI but i can't output 1080p but it is only noticeable with tvs greater than 50"

So you think its a problem with the PS3 hardware? I think mines fine because it worked on the other TV.

So you think its a problem with the PS3 hardware? I think mines fine because it worked on the other TV.

I doubt it, connect your PS3 up with HDMI only, then turn the PS3 on but hold down the power button until you hear two beeps. This will automatically select the best HDMI resolution that your TV can support.

Mine also worked with the other TV, but since then hasn't been working. First thing i attempted when i purchased new tv on Friday, was the HDMI got the same result.

Mine worked fine with a Panasonic and then my new Pioneer 508 xd :confused:
I thought the green screen thing was a xbox360 problem :rotfl:
Dave.

This is what i'm getting when using HDMI, (By holding button for 5 secs) it says its outputting at 480p aswell.... strange

I doubt it, connect your PS3 up with HDMI only, then turn the PS3 on but hold down the power button until you hear two beeps. This will automatically select the best HDMI resolution that your TV can support.

Just tried that mate. HDMI only and waited for second bleep on boot-up. Switched to HDMI1 and same message. Checked HDMI2 same too.

I think it's the PS3 HDMI port not working. I had a green screen, then a black screen, and swapped my PS3, now it works fine. When you tried it on the 19 inch Technika HDTV it was probably a coincidence that it suddenly worked, because these problems are intermittent.

Got it working now. The craptastic Venom HDMI cable was the problem. Going to buy the Sony Official HDMI cable now. Only £8 more. Thanks for all your help guys.

Got it working now. The craptastic Venom HDMI cable was the problem. Going to buy the Sony Official HDMI cable now. Only £8 more. Thanks for all your help guys.

glad its sorted. and cheers for updating the result.

waiting for my kit to come so been reading on here for potential problems etc :smashin:

Hummm i may buy myself an offical one then :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom