• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 HDMI issues (HDCP?)

youngpip

Hi, I'm having a problem with my PS3 over HDMI. I've just got a new HD Samsung TV (LE37R87BDX), and have got the PS3 set up fine over HDMI initially (i.e. all the display output settings are okay).

However it seems that if I've had the TV on for a while (watching Sky+ - just SD over SCART) then turn on the PS3 and select the HDMI source, the TV will say "no signal". The only way to get it working is to turn the TV off and on again. Once I've done that then the PS3 comes up fine and there are no problems.

Any ideas? Is it some kind of HDCP handshake problem? Could it be the cable?

TIA,
Phil

P.S. When the PS3 is off, the TV will say "check signal cable" on the HDMI source (which I'd expect) and when I turn it on it will say "no signal". So it does seem to detect that the PS3 is turned on, but just doesn't display anything.

youngpip

m1ket - out of interest what is the rest of your setup? It seems that the TV only gets upset if I've been watching Sky+ beforehand.

Jay

Banned
Can I ask when you are switching over to hdmi as your source after using sky etc, is the ps3 already on?

This is just a handshake issue, different sets handle handshaking differently. i.e sometimes you need to have the source selected before switching the ps3 on, and vice versa.

sleepyone

Do you have Guitar Hero III? Try removing the dongle?

I have seen at least two threads in other forums involving Samsung TV's where the problem was solved by removing the GHIII dongle as there seems to be a unconfirmed bug with it interfering with handshaking when using HDMI.

Also what New Era said :)

youngpip

sleepyone - interesting stuff - I do have GH3, but the issue was occuring before I had it.

New Era - I usually turn off Sky then turn on the PS3. I have the HDMI source selected by default so it switches back to that when Sky is turned off. I may try having a different source selected by default though just in case.

grooverider0101 - yep I should call them really, with getting back to work after New Year it's slipped my mind a bit.

Jay

Banned
New Era - I usually turn off Sky then turn on the PS3. I have the HDMI source selected by default so it switches back to that when Sky is turned off. I may try having a different source selected by default though just in case.

So what happens is you switch sky off, the tv then goes to hdmi, and you then turn your ps3 on?

If that's the case before turning your ps3 on select a different source, av etc then switch your ps3 on, give it a few seconds then select hdmi. :thumbsup:

youngpip

Hi Pincho, the problem occurs even without the GH3 dongle, and I don't have anything else attached (apart from the sixaxis pads the only accessory I have is the bluetooth remote).

Can you connect the sky box to a DVD scart instead of the tv scart. That might fix the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom