PS3 HDMI Issue (I Think)

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Stevieboy_uk, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Stevieboy_uk

Stevieboy_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Hi Folks

Not sure if anyone can help but I seem to be having a bit of an odd problem with our PS3. For several months our PS3 has been working fine plugged into the LG listed below (Set to 1080P as the LG will accept it even though it is only a 1080i set).

Yesterday I purchased a new Denon 1909 amp and tried to hook up the PS3 to go through the amp instead of straight into the TV's HDMI.

Anyway, I had a few issues getting it to go through the amp (another question for another section) and thought I would plug it back into the same HDMI port as before. Now for some very strange reason I can no longer get it to work on the main tv????

I tried resetting the video input but with no luck (a very wavey picture comes on saying it has detected the HDMI but when you select use it, the picture goes mad like the resolution is set to high).

If I plug it up to my son's Hitachi plasma using the component it is fine. If I plug it into our cheap Goodmans 19" LCD using the same HDMI cable it all works fine?????

Anyway, any help would be gratefully received.

Steve

2. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    If the ps3 is working fine with other screens, it sounds like a handshake error on part of the tv's hdmi port.

The only way I guess to fix it would be to use a 'reset' setting on the t.v, but it sounds like you've already done that.

Sorry I can't be of more help :(

3. Magus

Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Yes sound like a 'handshake' issue or a faulty HDMI port. Is there another HDMI port on the LG you could try with? What was the problem with passing the PS3 through the Denon amp?

4. Stevieboy_uk

Stevieboy_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    I have tried the PS3 on all the ports on the TV with the same result. Not sure about the problem with the Denon, think it is a miss-configuration issue on my part.

Will give it another go today.

5. ThuGLy

ThuGLy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,688
    i have thru put hdmi on my amp and optical for sound sometimes i have to turn the amp on off 1-2 times to stop it crackling.

laso have you tried with the ps3 outputting at 720p?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  6. ThuGLy

ThuGLy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,688
    A brief explanation of the options:

1. COLOR SPACE: In general, just leave this on default (YCbCr) unless you are using an HDMI/DVI connection or an HTPC or something where you specifically need RGB color.

2. RGB RANGE: Leave this alone (NORMAL) unless you switch to RGB in COLOR SPACE.

3. AUTO LIPSYNC: Will only do anything if you have a compatible HDMI 1.3 display. You can just leave this on default (ON) unless you have problems.

4. HDMI AUDIO OUT: This selects whether HDMI audio is “stripped” from the signal to be played on your surround sound speakers, or whether you want the HDMI audio passed through to your TV. Leave it on the default setting (AMP) unless you specifically want to use your TV speakers.

5. HDMI CONTROL and 6. POWER OFF CONTROL: These settings, like Auto Lipsync, require compatible HDMI components. For more information, see page 62 of the manual and the HDMI Control question, below.

Q. How do I set up the video processing so that everything works right and I can just connect one HDMI cable to the TV?

A. In addition to these general settings, you can also set up the specific video processor settings independently by input. This is done in the INPUT SETUP under VIDEO.

By default, the Denon AVR 1909/789 is set up to output everything to your TV via an HDMI cable, and will scale all analog sources automatically to the highest HDMI resolution your TV accepts. If all you want to do is plug everything in and run one HDMI cable to your TV, then DON’T CHANGE ANY SETTINGS and it should work fine as long as you have assigned all of your inputs correctly in MANUAL SETUP > ASSIGN.

Q. HDMI Control? I can watch TV when the Denon is off? Wow, really??

A. The HDMI Control function allows you to "pass through" the HDMI signal from device to your TV, even when the Denon is in "Standby" mode. You cannot change inputs while utilizing this feature, so make sure to switch the input to the one you want before powering down to Standby.

the last bits cuz i seen in another thread you didnt have it set didnt know if you had yet:smashin:

7. Stevieboy_uk

Stevieboy_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Thanks jon33c. Very useful post :smashin:

I sussed out the passthrough earlier (should have read the manual properly!!) so that is working fine now.

I managed to sort out the "handshake" issue by resetting the LG back to factory defaults (again) and hey presto all worked fine.

My problem with the amp was actually caused by a faulty HDMI cable that I bought brand new yesterday (not an expensive one, cost about £20). Took it back and swapped it for another one and now all is working fine.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

It is much appreciated.:thumbsup: