• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 hard drive question.....

saynor1106

Established Member
hope someone can help,
If i remove my newer harddrive(320gb) from ps3 thats got all my movies, pics, gamesave etc.... and put a 40gb one back in just to format. can i just put my 320gb back straight after without any snitches..

this is due to a friend who has extended warranty on his ps3 and it has stopped working, and he cant give it in untill he puts his 40gb back into it.. he has been using the 40gb as a portable drive using an encloser

dont want to risk it yet incase my 320gb wont go straight back in just like it was before i took it out

cols

Prominent Member
Yep, if you remove your hdd, you can put it back in and it'll all be as it was before you took it out. :smashin:

However, if all your mate wants to do is wipe his data from his 40gb hdd, it'd probably be less hassle to just format it on a pc surely?

There's no advantage with formatting it in your ps3 - when you put it in another ps3 it'll format it again anyway, as the drive needs to be formatted by the ps3 that it lives in.

Last edited:

Battle

Distinguished Member
Thats not correct - if you take out your 320gig and then put it back in again it will force a format and you will loose everything

The only way to do this would be to back up to an external drive, do the swap, then when you put your 320gig back in and after it formats you can then restore the back up onto the 320gig from the external drive.

cols

Prominent Member
How would his ps3 know the hdd had been removed then?

If it's switched off and unplugged, and you take the 320gb hdd out, then put it back in, it doesn't "know" it's been removed does it?

My understanding was when you upgrade your hdd you can keep the old one as it is, as a sort of "pre upgrade" backup. Meaning if anything goes wrong with the upgrade you can just put your old hdd in and it'll work.

What the guy's talking about doesn't seem any different to me...

Not arguing mate, just curious! :)

[email protected]

Prominent Member
Personally I would just stick the disk onto the one that is being returned for warranty. If the machine doesn;t work then whats the problem. if the disk has been formatted for something else then the machine will reformat it.

theshabster

Distinguished Member
Thats not correct - if you take out your 320gig and then put it back in again it will force a format and you will loose everything

The only way to do this would be to back up to an external drive, do the swap, then when you put your 320gig back in and after it formats you can then restore the back up onto the 320gig from the external drive.

I've just fixed the YLOD on my PS3, & I had to remove my 160GB HDD.

When I re-installed the HDD, it never forced a format.

I have a feeling that the HDD will only format if you try to install it into a different PS3 system.

Last edited:

gday2uk

Standard Member
How would his ps3 know the hdd had been removed then?

If it's switched off and unplugged, and you take the 320gb hdd out, then put it back in, it doesn't "know" it's been removed does it?

But the OP wants to format a 40gig in the same machine in between taking his out and putting it back in again.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
just tell your friend to stick the 40gig harddrive back in his console.
as he has been using it for things other than the ps3, the ps3 will format it in his console, when its repaired, or it will be formatted next time its installed into a ps3 at the repair centre,etc..

there absolutely no need for you to put it in your ps3, and format it.

Korum

Prominent Member
Gotta agree with battle on this one, I sold my 60gb system last year and wanted to put the original HDD back in which I'd swapped out for a 160gb.Even though the 60gb had never been touched the PS3 made me reformat the drive.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Gotta agree with battle on this one, I sold my 60gb system last year and wanted to put the original HDD back in which I'd swapped out for a 160gb.Even though the 60gb had never been touched the PS3 made me reformat the drive.

Thinking about it, there was a similar discussion in the upgrading HDD thread and it was put down to differences in hardware revisions and where software versions were stored. Whatever, my old 40gig HDD was exactly as I left it when I put it back in:)

Korum

Prominent Member
Thinking about it, there was a similar discussion in the upgrading HDD thread and it was put down to differences in hardware revisions and where software versions were stored. Whatever, my old 40gig HDD was exactly as I left it when I put it back in:)

Yeah sounds like that would make sense, I've an 80gig model now so I'll have to try it one day.:thumbsup:

A2a

Established Member
If a drive was to be removed from a slim into a fat, would it still need to be formatted? Or, if the drives were taken out of each and placed into another console (fat to a slim and vice versa), is any formatting required - would it be worthwhile backing up just in case? :confused:

Uridium

Distinguished Member
If a drive was to be removed from a slim into a fat, would it still need to be formatted? Or, if the drives were taken out of each and placed into another console (fat to a slim and vice versa), is any formatting required - would it be worthwhile backing up just in case? :confused:

Any drive removed and put in ANY different (Phat or slim)console will need to be formatted by the new console.

The HDD is encrypted using a key based on the unique hardware ID of the console.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom