PS3 Game Region Coding

Dave02

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Are all PS3 games region coded and only work on a machine of the matching region, or are there games that are region free and therefore work on any PS3 (like several Blu Rays that don't have coding)? I'm shortly going to visit some family abroad in another region and would like to take them some PS3 games if I can.

If some games are region free, can anyone tell me of any good ones and/ or how I can find out which games are region free?

Yep, all PS3 games are region free.

One thing to bear in mind though is that if there is any DLC you might want to buy, you need to buy the DLC from the relevant PSN store otherwise the DLC doesn't work.
eg
if you have a UK COD & want to buy a map pack, you need to buy the map from the UK PSN store.
if you had a US COD & want a map pack, you'd need to buy it from the US PSN etc

Thank you both. Seems I need to start buying some games!

All PS3 games are indeed region coded, but - as the answer above states - the region information is only currently used to restrict DLC usage.
However, it has always been entirely technically possible to restrict entire game usage dependant on region, but this approach has never been implemented, thank goodness.

Also, at the present time, ALL BluRays are multi-region, but I am unsure as to whether they are truly region-free, or the region information is ignored due to universal agreements.

Also, at the present time, ALL BluRays are multi-region, but I am unsure as to whether they are truly region-free, or the region information is ignored due to universal agreements.

No that's not right. Not all Blu-rays are region free.
Many Blu-rays are region free, but some ARE region locked.

You need to check before hand before buying Blu-rays from different regions
Blu-Ray Region Code Info

Depends more on the Studio really.
  • Warner & Universal are always region free.
  • Paramount is always region free apart from a few films where someone else owns the overseas rights (eg Benjamin Button, Braveheart, Gladiator).
  • Fox used to always be locked, but some recent releases have been region free.
  • Disney also used to always be locked for new releases, but region free for catalog films. However their recent releases have been region free.
  • Sony can be a mixed bag, some are locked & some are region free.
  • Other studios tend to be a mixed bag as well.
Rule of thumb, Warner & Universal they'll be region free. Paramount most likely region free. Everyone else, double check before buying :smashin:

Yep, all PS3 games are region free.

One thing to bear in mind though is that if there is any DLC you might want to buy, you need to buy the DLC from the relevant PSN store otherwise the DLC doesn't work.

Another thing is sometimes the servers are locked to a disc region. It's not so common, but some games do this (most recently Armored Core V did this).

eg: USA game will ONLY connect you to USA servers, and you can not play with a mate with a UK copy. But it will play on a UK PS3.

There are some Blu-Ray region coded, just make sure to find out before you purchase the Blu-ray

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom