PS3 future price drop??

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by nufc_fan, Apr 23, 2007.

1. nufc_fan

nufc_fan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was thinking about getting selling a 360 to get a ps3 but have decided to keep it and save up and wait for the prices to drop so i can have both!!:) :)

Anyone think by the end of the summer/autumn they will be priced similar to the 360!

They are pricing many people out of the market at the minute, hopefully they will drop the prices before long! If it was available for £300 like i think it works out in usa at the moment i would definetly get one!

2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    No way at all by summer. I suspect we might get a price drop just before christmas.. really depends on how fast Sony can get the production cost of the PS3 down.

3. danaldinho7

danaldinho7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    its like a catch 22

to get the price down, to sell them at a cheaper price so more people can afford them, they need to make more

however...

to justify making more they need to sell the ones out there so they can have a reason to build more, but they can't sell them as well at the current price but they need to sell them to get the price down.

I personally would have limited demand so people want them but can't get them and it will mean people who missed one at launch will have to wait and those that want one but couldn't initally afford them will save up

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287

Note to self, never employ Donaldinho as a business manager :D

5. supahoops

supahoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Would you say that for SONY to get the production costs down using cheaper components that could in turn compromise the reliability compared to say launch models which use more pricey but more reliable components :confused:

6. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Similar price to the xbox 360? NO WAY, especially the xbox360 WITHOUT the HD-DVD drive. With the HD-DVD drive included, the xbox is similar price to the PS3 anyway.
    If I had to guess, I would say that there would be a price drop, but in the winter or leading up to christmas, BUT, the price drop would probably still leave the PS3 at about £350.

7. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Reliability tends to increase over time as well - sure you can compromise quality and produce cheap junk but Sony tend not to do that.

Currently a biggie is getting the cost of blue lasers down as that's a large part of it. The way bluray players are dropping in price they may well have started to achieve that (BDP-1000 dropped about 50% recently).

8. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I very much doubt there will be a price drop before next year at the earliest. As has already been mentioned it depends on how quickly and by how much Sony can bring the manufaturing costs down. There won't be a price drop before christmas rather there will probably be special bundles with games, accessories and/or blu-ray movies to make the high price a little easier to deal with. Sony is already making a loss and I doubt they or their shareholders will wan't a price drop leading to an even bigger loss.

9. danaldinho7

danaldinho7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    It's Danaldinho...reminds me of my ski trip to Beaver Creek, Co last Christmas where my Austrialian snowboard instructor couldn't pronounce a's and pronounce ah

I was called Donny or Dahny for 10 days...at this point we went to vale for 4 days and my instructor there was the nicest dude ever and an editor on the blair withc project! :thumbsup:

Anyway, back to what I was saying...its basic supply and demand:

[​IMG]

When supply is less than demand the equilibirum price goes up, when supply is more than demand (like now) the equilibrium price goes down.

Therefore the ps3 at £425 would be 'worth it' because the equilibrium price is higher, such as the xbox 360 when it went on sale as they were going on ebay for much more.

Its also easier to price skim when supply is limited...

Price skimming is when you release a new product into the market and the price goes down over time to ensure the most sales at any given price and so that its the most efficient price.

You could sell 250,000 PS3's for £300 making £75,000,000 but you could sell 200,000 at £425 making £85,000,000 it would make more sense to sell less but make more money. When the demand for PS3's at £425 goes down so it isn't viable to sell them at that price you would then have a price reduction to the highest possible price that ensures you can sell the least possible units for the most possible amount of money.

I do Business-Economics btw...so I would make a really good Business Manager :D

10. FrancescoNoir

FrancescoNoir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nice, but the logic is slightly flawed.

Sony do not see a console sale as one isolated piece of revenue; rather, they look at software attach rates and see each console sale as generating a certain level of future income from game & accessory sales.

11. danaldinho7

danaldinho7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    shhhhhh! lol:D

12. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Keeping your 360 could quite possibly be the best decision you make all year, this time next year when Sony have reduced the price to £380, whilst simultaneously releasing the silver PS3 for £420 there might be a couple of decent games for you to play on it:D

13. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    It will never be same price as 360. It's gives you so much more that it will always cost more.

Even at the current price, it's better value than the 360.

However, don't sell your 360. That would be silly given the respective machines' software catalogue.

14. Robiow

Robiow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I'm not sure that it gives you 'all that more'

in fact, with IPTV coming to the xbox 360, I feel with a bigger harddrive, the 360 gives you more.

I'm sitting on the fence. I'm going to pick up a PS3 later today and as someone mention, there are strengths and weaknesses for both, and the 360 more than holds its own

15. Fillumgeek

Fillumgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +688
    We're all speculating but...

there are a number of analysts talking about the fact that Sony HAS to drop the price and soon, not in a years time. Here's why: they are losing market share and fast in the key territories for them, i.e. Japan and USA. This means the potential revenue from software licensing fees is being lost to Nintendo and Microsoft. Remember Sony's market share was based on 100 million PS2's last time round, the longer PS3 is outsold the less possible that becomes.

Indications are that Blu-ray prices are set to fall: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/04/24/sony_ramps_blue-laser_diode_output/

The calculation Sony will be thinking about and NOT talking about in public, is that a price drop could massively affect their sales and fast. Everyone knows it's a great bit of kit, if it was priced just a little bit more than the 360 it could trounce that machine for all the reasons you know about.

Expect a price drop not this summer, but sometime between September and November time.

16. rss

rss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I picked one up at the weekend. It's a great machine but I think already having a 360 has rubbed off some of the wow factor had I jumped straight from say the PS2 or Xbox.

I will probably keep it but am prepared for it to gather a bit of dust (and boy is it a dust magnet!!) for the next few months until some blockbuster titles come out for it. For multi-platform I will compare versions at the time to see which one I go for.

As for the price drop, I expect one this year or at least perhaps some kind of bundle offer.

17. coluigi

coluigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    And speaking of business logic if Sony were to cut prices they wouldn't mention it in public anywhere until close to the event.

If Phil H said it'll be £50 cheaper in 3 months time nobody will buy them in the next 3 months.

So whilst analysts are saying drop the price and some at Sony may have let slip in round about ways of a price slip those rumours will always get quashed by Sony.

18. Kelster

Kelster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    is there a price drop already as Amazon have ps3 for £399?

19. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    No that's just standard retailer discounts.

20. danaldinho7

danaldinho7
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    do amazon do a payback for people who bought it at £425 like gamestation do?