PS3 FAT component identification

Gramuk

Established Member
Hello guys.
Just took apart my nephews PS3 as it was over heating - The fan is not running at all and so took a quick look. There is a component burnt out on the motherboard. I suspect a resistor but have searched on line the last few hours and can not find anything about this component. Anyone have any idea where I'd be able to identify this component?
I attach a photograph (I hope it attaches) to see if anyone can shed any light.
Cheers,
Graeme

Attachments

• Fan connector.jpg
    Fan connector.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 2,209

Foster

Distinguished Member

Gramuk

Established Member
Hello Foster.
Wow - quick reply. Yes when "blown up" (quite literally) this is looking ilke a capacitor as per your pictures. Just trying to figure out a value for it. I've metered out the fan and there are no shorts and the fan is very free rotating and so not sure why this capacitor has burned up. I was going to replace it and just try again to see what happens. If it burns up again then I'll most likely go down the route of making a controller for the fan. But first it's getting the capacitor value. I've attached a larger photo if anyone out ther has any ideas.
Thanks again - Graeme

Attachments

• Enlarged.jpg
    Enlarged.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 932

Foster

Distinguished Member
Well that is stupid put a component in with no value gg sony xD it doesn't say a value on the caps next to it on top or at the side

Gramuk

Established Member
Just found a link to a "leaked PS3 service manual" so downloading that and hopefully it will have some information in there. If not I'll just make a modulator and external fan controller.
Cheers, G

Foster

Distinguished Member
Nice well hopefully it will have the info in the service manual

Gramuk

Established Member
Ok, so I now have the full circuit diagrams for the PS3 and have almost identified the component that has failed. I have the full parts list for all capacitors, resistors, IC's etc but what the heck is an FB???
Some kind of fuseable protection??
Anyway - I attach a section of the circuit diagram in case anyone has any ideas.
Cheers, G

Attachments

• Fan circuit.jpg
    Fan circuit.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 682

Gramuk

Established Member
Ok, so now I have found the part and have just ordered a hand full of these components. At only 4 pence per unit I think the Nephew will be pleased that it may fix the dead fan in his PS3. Or at least get me a little further into fixing the thing.
Cheers, G.

Attachments

• Ferrite Bead.jpg
    Ferrite Bead.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 531

Foster

Distinguished Member
I'm glad you find the component dude :p 4 pence you can't go wrong

Gramuk

Established Member
Ok, so an update. Ordered and received the ferrite bead from Farnell Electronics (decided on an uprated 2.5Amp ferrite bead) and fitted that earlier today. Can confirm the unit is up and running like new again. Been powered up 5 hours and then under heavy test for > 8 hours - no issues. So my nephew now has a spare PS3 if his "slim" ever breaks. Simples....
Think I might start trawling e-bay for faulty units and start repairing them in my spare time.

Foster

Distinguished Member
that sounds like a good idea mate

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom