PS3 Fan Noise

njwyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had my PS3 40GB for approximately a year and in the past few weeks the fan has started to kick in after about 30 mins of either DVD or Game Play. It used ot kick in once every 3 or 4 months but now it is everytime.

I am not sure if I am still under warranty, but can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this, can I contact Sony and see if they can help? Its hard to play with this noise going on all the time.

I have had my PS3 40GB for approximately a year and in the past few weeks the fan has started to kick in after about 30 mins of either DVD or Game Play. It used ot kick in once every 3 or 4 months but now it is everytime.

I am not sure if I am still under warranty, but can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this, can I contact Sony and see if they can help? Its hard to play with this noise going on all the time.

More than likely a build up of dust, my laptop did exactly the same thing.

There is a thread on here somewhere that tells you how to clear the dust out I think!!

Hmmm i just used an air duster?

Mine is nisy though. Unlucky me.

Turn your PS3 off at the rear, press and hold the eject button, switch the PS3 on at the rear. This should turn the fans on full speed for a few second to clear out any dust.

Also consider turning off upscaling as it makes the PS3 hotter as it has to do more work. My fan speeds up after about 4 hours of DVD watching with upscaling on but never does with upscaling off (and the TV does a fine job anyway)

Don't do the fan thing... it ruins the fans on your PS3

Don't do the fan thing... it ruins the fans on your PS3

Pure FUD if you ask me. Care to quote a source for this? All it does is run the fan at full speed (that the fan is designed to run at) for 15 seconds or so. I really cannot see how doing that is going to dramatically alter the life of the fan unless you are doing it everyday!

This could be the ambient room temperature making the difference. I blasted my PS3 (carefully of course) with an air aerosol can at the weekend and hardly any dust came out so it wasn't that.

The weather has been getting warmer recently and this will certainly affect the stage at which your fan comes on. You've probably done this already but make sure it has plenty of space around it for breathing. Mine was in a cabinet which I thought had plenty of holes and space around the PS3. moved it on top of the unit behind the TV and it calmed down a lot.

Mine isn't anywhere near as noisy as my old 360 was.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom