• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PS3 External HDD compatibility

waheedsky

Standard Member
Hi All,

Apologies if I have put this post under the incorrect forum section. Pretty new to this website. I'm having an issue with my PS3 movie playing feature that I hope someone out there can help with:

I used to play movies and TV shows off a WD 320 GB external hard drive. It was plug and play and only required a usb connection. I recently bought a 500 GB Seagate external hard drive. This hard drive requires a seperate power source (not sure if this is important!). When I plug the new HDD in, for some reason the PS3 does not register it. The power light comes on and the HDD works fine on my laptop. I can't think why the PS3 doesn't pick it up. I'd appreciate any advice that someone can offer a tech newbie like me.

Thanks in advance,

W

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi All,

Apologies if I have put this post under the incorrect forum section. Pretty new to this website. I'm having an issue with my PS3 movie playing feature that I hope someone out there can help with:

I used to play movies and TV shows off a WD 320 GB external hard drive. It was plug and play and only required a usb connection. I recently bought a 500 GB Seagate external hard drive. This hard drive requires a seperate power source (not sure if this is important!). When I plug the new HDD in, for some reason the PS3 does not register it. The power light comes on and the HDD works fine on my laptop. I can't think why the PS3 doesn't pick it up. I'd appreciate any advice that someone can offer a tech newbie like me.

Thanks in advance,

W

I don't know if it is the issue in this case, but quite often units that have USB connect-ability require the connected drive to have a FAT formatted partition and the new drive probably has a NTFS partition ... so it possibly requires reformatting.

Check the specifications of the PS3 and it will probably give information of the requirements of USB connected media [ Probably FAT16 or FAT32 ]
Check the properties of the existing partition to see what it currently is.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom