PS3 External HDD compatibility

waheedsky

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies if I have put this post under the incorrect forum section. Pretty new to this website. I'm having an issue with my PS3 movie playing feature that I hope someone out there can help with:

I used to play movies and TV shows off a WD 320 GB external hard drive. It was plug and play and only required a usb connection. I recently bought a 500 GB Seagate external hard drive. This hard drive requires a seperate power source (not sure if this is important!). When I plug the new HDD in, for some reason the PS3 does not register it. The power light comes on and the HDD works fine on my laptop. I can't think why the PS3 doesn't pick it up. I'd appreciate any advice that someone can offer a tech newbie like me.

Thanks in advance,

W

Hi All,

Apologies if I have put this post under the incorrect forum section. Pretty new to this website. I'm having an issue with my PS3 movie playing feature that I hope someone out there can help with:

I used to play movies and TV shows off a WD 320 GB external hard drive. It was plug and play and only required a usb connection. I recently bought a 500 GB Seagate external hard drive. This hard drive requires a seperate power source (not sure if this is important!). When I plug the new HDD in, for some reason the PS3 does not register it. The power light comes on and the HDD works fine on my laptop. I can't think why the PS3 doesn't pick it up. I'd appreciate any advice that someone can offer a tech newbie like me.

Thanks in advance,

W

I don't know if it is the issue in this case, but quite often units that have USB connect-ability require the connected drive to have a FAT formatted partition and the new drive probably has a NTFS partition ... so it possibly requires reformatting.

Check the specifications of the PS3 and it will probably give information of the requirements of USB connected media [ Probably FAT16 or FAT32 ]
Check the properties of the existing partition to see what it currently is.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom